1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many golfers on BB

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jul 18, 2005.

?
  1. Yes I play fairly regularly, its a great game!

81.0%
  2. I play occasionaly and enjoy the game.

4.8%
  3. I have never played the game but would not mind giving it a try.

14.3%
  4. I played once and will never play the stupid game again.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have never played and never plan to either.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Tell me about it! Michigan golf can be expensive, but there are places you can play fairly reasonably.

We sure do have some great courses in this state though. I was up near Traverse City earlier this year, and could not help but notice the beautiful courses they have up there.

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I haven't played in about 2 years. That time was with my Pastor, his brother, and a deacon from another church.

I'll tell you, I'm so good I use range balls!

And when I leave, the water level is up about 2 feet.

That last time was a pretty horrible experience.

On the first hole, I lost the cover to my driver.

On the second hole, I accidently sat on the arm bar of the cart and ripped my shorts wide open.

I found the only tree on the 18th hole and my ball ricocheted off the lone, dead tree into the water.

To top it off, I shot about 200.

I enjoy playing, except for that last time, but I've never been very good.

My wrist turns into my body when I swing, so you never quite know where the ball will end up. It's the same way when I bowl.

I'd say I'll stick with putt-putt, but I'm not very good at that either. :D

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Ok then, for those who play tell us about your most memorible shots- good or bad.

What kind of clubs to you play? Anybody ever used one of those new hyrbids?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I question the salvation and IQ of anyone who dares to call golf boring [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have tons of great memories on the golf course. I'll come back to those later.

Did you know we here at Baptist Board could form a "Golf Club" under USGA rules for us to obtain and monitor our handicaps? Always wanted to do that.

Hey..no one has even MENTIONED their handicaps [​IMG]

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

That would be great! Perhaps we all stink though and thats why we don't want to monitor our handicaps!

One of my most memorable shots was on a par 5. There was a big pond that divided the hole about 215-230 yards from the tee. Its best to lay up so I did, but I had a terrible down hill lie looking over the pond for my second shot. Well I bladed the ball and watched it come out real hot and skip across the water about 4 times all the way to the other side. I about died from laughter!

Unfortunatly I three putted and ended up with a boegy, but when its all said and done, I at least did not loose a ball!

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I have never had a hole in one - but a couple years ago I hit my tee shot - a thing of beauty, it hit two inches in front of the hole and stopped two inches behind the hole. Somehow it did not hit the stick.

I am very erratic and am about an 18 handicap. I blame it on my size (6'4") and general lack of balance. My best round was an 82 - but managed to shoot a 118 in the club championship last year. Took an 11 on the first hole (two shots into the water)and it was downhill from there -

I bought a cleveland driver this year, the sucker is a monster! got it for a decent price on E bay, and am actually driving the ball better than I ever have! Nike 3&5 woods, tommy Armour irons and a belly putter. I used to jerk my short putts - but am much more consistent with the belly putter.

If you have a Sams club near you they are selling Nike tour accuracy balls for about $8/dozen. Its a great ball with a very soft feel on the greens and will really stick

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Does getting high score on the course count??

I absolutely love golf. I sometimes get frustrated when I keep hitting the little windmills though.

BTw, 4His_glory, you should have considered including the selection "Golf is of the devil" in the poll. I'm willing to bet that would have gotten quite a few responses [​IMG]

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Nothing wrong with a high score. Even Tiger Woods shot them at one time- like when he was 3 years old.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

My loest socre is a 93. I just started playing exactally a year ago, and have never had a lesson so I guess that is not too bad.

I have a Golden Bear driver and fairway woods. I also have the old Callaway Big Bertha but I can't drive as far with it.

I use Nike CPR irons and they are just amazing- so easy to hit. I replaced my 3 and 4 iron with a Nike CPR hybrid club and it too is amazing. If you have never tried one of those hyrbids go to a golf store and check them out. You will never use your long irons again.

My putter is a John Daly designed Hippo parrameter weight putter, and I use Maxfli Noodles for my ball.

11. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I have been "playing at" golf for 18 years. If I had more time to devote to it, I believe I could be a decent player. Once every 5-6 weeks I get to play a round. Recently my church bought a corporate membership at a local club. Maybe that will motivate me to play more.

I do not have an official handicap, but I usually score between 90 and 95. This past Friday and Saturday I got to play in a scramble event at Panama City Beach. On Friday, I hit the ball well. Saturday was a horror. That's the way it goes for me....no consistency. I suppose that one day I'll get so frustrated that I will attend one of the golf instruction schools.

Most memorable shot? Have had a lot of them, but one happened when I was playing a course in Arkansas. It was a par 3. I pulled the ball and it hit the trunk of a pine tree to the left of the green. The tree was pin high. The ball rolled at a 90 degree angle directly toward the hole. Stopped about 6 inches from the hole. Thought surely I was going to get my first h.i.o.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Another memorable shot I had:

Again on a par 5. Afer teeing off a red fox ran accross the fairway, which was pretty cool, because you don't see them often here. Anyway I played my second shot low to keep it under some branches and as it passed the fox he took after it! After the ball stoped the fox stood therefore for what seemed like for ever smelling my ball and pushing it around a little with his nose. I thought he was going to take it and run into the woods! I bet the USGA doesn't have a rule what to do then.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I normally shoot in the low to mid 80s, occasionally in the 90s and now and then in the 70s. I usually get two or three rounds a year in the 70s. I shot 79 two weeks ago, but have played less this year than any year in the past six. For the first time I don't have a membership. I don't miss it like I thought. I was pretty much an addict.

I am a stickler for the rules with one exception: the flag in the hole on putts. I am too lazy to take it out when by myself. But I play everything else straight up. No mulligans, no roll overs, play it down (even with mud on teh ball). OBs are stroke and distance. Hazards are stroke and line. I don't mind people who play differently than me. Just don't compare scores with someone who plays by different rules. I love the game.

My most memorable shot ... hmmm ... I came about six inches from a HIO two years ago. I have had three or four eagles in my life, all but one on par 5s. Last year, I holed a shot from the rough about 135 yards with an eight iron. I didn't see it go in. I thought it rolled off the back of the green. So I was looking all over the back for it and couldn't find it. Found it in the hole. Went on to shoot 78 that day I believe.

14. superdave

superdave New Member

We'll have to have a Michigan BaptistBoard invitational PL, as long as I can be on your team, 78 aint too shabby.

My most memorable shot was on a par 3, 150 yards almost all water. I hit a 7 iron, but caught it a bit high and hit a low burner. I saw it hit the water and skip, but thought it went in the drink. We had walked around to the green and I was getting ready to drop in the drop area when my brother asked me why I didn't just go putt my ball in. It had skipped onto the fringe and was about 5 feet from the hole. Unbelievable.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I just sunk a 35 ft. birdie putt the other day- thats the kind of shot that keeps me coming back.

I started driving with my 3 wood instead of my driver the other day too and I noticed I drive it nearly as far (in fact I blasted close to 290 yards on one hole) as my driver but much straighter. Does anybody else use their 3 wood instead of their dirver?

16. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Started playing golf in my 40's. Got hooked also. It is the most challenging game there is. I like what Winston Churchill (my hero), who hated golf, said about the sport. "Its hitting a tiny white ball around a cow pasture with equipment ill-designed for the task" or something like that.
    You are right 4His_Glory, you could have a terrible game, but it is that one good shot that keeps you coming back. Broken 100 yet? Dont cheat now.

17. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

BTW, come to sunny Florida. You can play all year around. [​IMG] (except in hurricanes)

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yes I have broken a hundred- in fact I am close to breaking 90. I have been consistently shooting in the low 90's the past few games. Not bad for some one who has only played for one year and never had a lesson huh?

19. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I never have understood golf.

20. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Play around 4-6 times a year. My greatest achievement was once parring all 4 of the par 3's in an 18-hole round. Pretty sad that is my shining moment, huh?