1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many of you have kids or grandkids in the military . . .

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

What about all the innocent people our military has slaughtered through the years? Do you regret any of that? Or do you not care, since they weren't the right color?

And what about all the American young people who have lost their lives because they're been places they never should have been fighting wars they never should have fought?

I'm not a straight pacifist, but much of what we call "war" is nothing more than organized, sanctioned murder. I'm not sure you can be "pro-life" while supporting the things our military has done in recent memory.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Nobody hates them. I personally pray for the safety of the troops that they can come back safely, never have to take the life of another image-bearer, and find some peaceful occupation.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, I conceede, the US miitarty has never saved the life of any civilian whose population has been cleansed by other countries or groups.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean, like distributing food and necessities to Hurricane Sandy victims? Or collecting donations and food for needy families at Thanksgiving? Or starting the collections of toys and food for families for Christmas? Or Marines honoring a child cancer victim by making him an honorary Marine? Or assisting with searches for missing children? Or dying in plane crashes while helping fight wildfires?

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything specific in mind or does hyperbole work for you?

What would be the wrong color? Here's an article on military demographics. It contains facts so you may want to avoid it.

Like the 3650 young Americans who had the audacity to invade Pearl Harbor, or the 241 who were asleep in their barracks in Lebanon, the 17 sailors on the USS Cole, victims of the Red Army Faction of Baader-Meinhof gang....

I often wonder of folks use the word pacifism when what is meant is they lack the moral courage to defend themselves and those they love at any cost. I'm going to go tell my son how proud I am of his service. The rest of you can go make sure the peace sign isn't peeling off your VW bus.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You have a major misunderstanding about the nature of war. That is why it is a last resort. That is why Congress should declare war. That is why all other avenues, diplomatic, etc should be explored. That is why we do not go to war that does not effect the survival of this nation. However, when the decision is made to go to war, one goes in with everything they have, win a swift victory, and exit quickly. They can rebuild their own nation.

Once that point is reached, American lives trump innocent civilian lives. Wars cannot be fought based on a house by house map.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

> . . . American lives trump innocent civilian lives.

NT chapter and verse?

Even guilty American lives?