1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How often do you experience the Lords Presence?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Calv1, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

24/7? Evening, day, once a week? Once a month?

If so how powerfully?

I ask to gauge myself I suppose. When I was first saved it was like waves and waves of His Presence all the time, all I did day and night was worship, literally, no job, just music, scripture, prayer, etc.

It is not like that now, there are times I'm glad, times that I'm rejoicing, feeling love, etc but is rare. I've noticed this pattern, when I look at the Lord, or a situation IE "Moses in the Wilderness", a real act of faith I experience His presence, or sometimes out of the blue seems as if Jesus is inside me if that makes sense. I notice more the acts of the Spirit, that is my conscious being opposed to sin, directing me so to speak day to day.

Over the years I've heard "We don't go by feelings", and I agree, but I'm not talking about human emotions, I'm talking about that indescribable experience like Peter alluded to "though you haven't seen Him you love Him, and are filled with Joy unspeakable and full of glory", human beings can't create this in ourselves, although our Spirits emotions do imitate God's Spirit, so I'm not talking about some Pentecostal emotion fest, but the Biblical "Gods Presence", "Taste and see that the Lord is good", "In your presence is fullness of Joy, at your Right Hand are pleasures forevermore", THAT kind of presence.

Thanks.

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are a believer, it should make sense to feel that Jesus is inside of you.

Christ dwells in our hearts by faith. We are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. We have become partakers of the Divine Nature. And those are realities that do not come and go.

Believers have two spirits inside of us - our spirit and the Spirit of God.

I believe what you are describing, the physical sensation, can only be understood through a proper paradigm of the dichotomy/trichotomy of man

And as you alluded to, it's not a Pentecostal/Charismatic thingy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our pastor has been using the words tuned/attuned lately, and I have to say they're a good way of describing it.

My job has had me out of town for three weeks in May. It provided a lot quiet time for reading my bible, but travel also takes up aot of your thoughts with temporal matters.

When I did get back home, and walked into the sanctuary to sit with the assembly and hear the word preached, I felt like a drained battery that had finally been plugged back into the charger.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Wow what a popular topic. I think I'm not alone in wondering. I was raised Atheist, the Lord however was always there, I always prayed, and when saved me it was like continuous waves of His Spirit, not emotions for I know some will say emotions, just presence. I knew NOTHING of the bible except Christ basics, read Lindsey's horrible "Late Great Planet
    I appreciate but you described the situation without answering. :)

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know, I just thought I'd give that prelude first.

It's been my experience that it comes and goes depending on me. Usually 2-3 months very continuously, and it seems work picks up, my studies slip, prayer falls off, and then my communion with God starts to feel....

trivial - that's not the best word to use, but it may not be too far off. Maybe boring, maybe just ordinary, or maybe I just kinda go about my day, then my week, then my month. And I'll look back in disgust or shame, wondering how. why. what happened 2 months ago?

It's usually not months apart, but it can be.

So the short answer is continuously for 2-3 months, then a couple of weeks not - usually

6. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Terrific. It's my understanding the Lord will also hide His face often, I'm told so we seek all the more. It is a strange thing, as I say when I don't try, I used to go for experience for experience sake, then went through my panic stage which happens to many Christians (They don't experience Him assume He's gone, terrible way to see the relationship).

So when I look with FAITH, not seeking experience, seems as if He's right there, however if I'm focused on it, or try, nothing. Since the Spirit is to glorify Christ it makes sense that we only experience Him when looking to Christ.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like that analogy Rob :Thumbsup

• Like Like x 2
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow I experience visitations daily!

9. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

See posts like that make me nervous, well not nervous, but I remember first saved, WAVE AFTER CRASHING WAVE of Love, Holiness just that unspeakable Presence, maybe some experience emotion and get them confused, not saying that's the case.

It's funny how "Christendom" goes, for a decade it's "We go by faith, not experience", then Piper, first major guy who agreed with me, that is we CAN, aside from times God hides His Face from us, but I had always thought His presence the norm.

Studying the Psalms, Isaiah etc. it's clear He hides His presence for us for a season "Lord, why have you hardened our hearts so we seek you not", "Lord why do you hide your face from me, all day do I seek you but you are nowhere to be found".

MANY Christians get sick worrying about it, I had problems when younger, so great to hear from others on this topic!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

brother, he is there......look for him

11. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

I know thanks though. I'm just saying that since I had such an unusual amount when I was first saved, didn't know anything about scripture, gave everything away except one pair of clothes, just layed around worshiping all day, didn't work, just waited for the Lord to come back. Anyways I'm so accustomed to it, it makes me nervous when I experience nothing, but I've learned that's life, I've yet to meet a person who experiences His presence 24/7, as I say not even David or Isaiah had the Lords presence ALL the time.

Would be something, when I was first saved, greatest time in my life, I'd dream holy things, cry gallons of water like a ocean of love flowing through me, I'd give everything to get that back, and God willing I will.

12. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are times when I am amazed that God placed me at a certain spot and certain time when someone was hurting. God used me to encourage them when they were discouraged. There have been a few times when situations happened where I knew God had spared my life when the situation should have ended in death or severe injury. There have also been times when the valley of shadows left complete and utter silence. There is nothing louder than those times when God remains silent through your tears. There has been mostly ordinary days of ordinary routine.
    In all of this, whether I felt anything or not, God has been present and the rock, which gives me strength. I say that if God were to never bring any experience of his presence, yet save me by His grace...that is more...much more than I deserve. And...it is enough. I am eternally grateful. I am learning, in whatever circumstance, to be content. Thank God for his presence in sunshine and in storm.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

This answer wins the prize, period, there is much in it.

I love what you said about faith through tears with no presence, you are correct. A pastor asked me once when this subject troubled me, he asked me "What takes more faith, to trust God is with me when I experience His presence or when I don't"? Good point I think.

And here you are, someone who doesn't experience that much, yet when I was in trouble, who is the ONLY ONE TO SHOW LOVE TO ME? You! So while many are out there, experiencing God's presence, you were the only one to show me love, THAT is more important than experience.

As a side note His hand is finally off me, two years, wow it can affect you, you get used to only bad things happening. Now one good thing after another, business is booming, my pastor and I, and some brothers are doing "Reformed Revival", a website that has answers to Reformed/Liberal, Evolution, New Atheism, etc. People don't read anymore, so we're doing a MASSIVE website with thousands of videos, we're doing controversial titles, IE "Why the modern Christian can't understand Calvinism", we WANT people to debate in the comments section, we think it might, truly bring a revival, we'll see, wouldn't that be something? Revival to the true faith. I'm going to compose the videos, pastor edit them and read them, getting started soon, very exciting!!

14. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One never knows what God will do. I recall reading about a Pastor who remained faithful to a congregation for over 50 years despite the rich people in the church locking up all the pews (this was 150 years ago) and forcing the poor to stand. The diocese kep him there despite the rich patrons hating him for preaching saved by grace through faith. He ministered to the poor and died without any honors. But...but God was honored and that is enough. That is our purpose...to glorify God and love him forever.

15. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

Amen. Isn't that amazing what you just said, "The HATED him for preaching saved by grace through faith".

I just watched this long, like two hour movie on Amazon Prime of all places, it was a history (Pretty accurate) of the Church from Acts to the present, the last half largely focused on the Roman Church. I have to say, I've studied Church history, but just watching that really woke me up, I highly recommend it, the Roman Church DESPISED Grace, they HATED that the common man had scriptures, the extent they went to destroy the bible they so hated is just shocking, even though I know it.

We rarely speak of it, but the Devil is alive and well, up 24/7, and from the Romans who tortured and killed the Christians, to the Roman "Church" who tortured and killed Christians is such evidence, it's like you can see this evil force, and it's always true Christians. The devil loves those that are "Self Sufficient", those who believe they are in charge of their destiny, he eats them for breakfast, I have to battle "Faith Alone" all the time. After my big breakthrough last week, I kept telling myself "By grace, this is not because of anything good you did", sure enough, just how my mind word 5 days after I'm feeling horrible "Did I give on time", just focusing on works, the law, but I was aware this time so at least I fought. It's so tempting to think "If I do good, God will favor me, if I mess up God will not", its heresy, it kills, God is blessing me because God WANTS TO BLESS ME, it brings Him pleasure, and while suffering He enjoyed doing it, for it's totally changed me, but at the same time scripture says "He doesn't inflict willfully", that is He wills it of course, but it's not His primary aim, anymore than our spanking a child to keep him from a light socket is our prime aim.

Luther as you probably know almost died as a Monk, they'd eat bland food, sleep on rock beds, beat themselves, lay in the snow, he said "Living by Faith Alone is much harder than all of my monkary". I agree, when we walk do we forget about ourselves and focus on Christ alone, or do we focus on our sins/good works? That's the battle, "What work would the Father have us do", "The work of the Father is for you to believe on the One He sent".

Anyways watch that show, highly entertaining, and very accurate, they get off on a KJV bible only thing, hammer the critical texts, and a bit of prophecy, but the prophecy is what the Reformers believed, not their view.