1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Real Is Fake News? | Sharyl Attkisson | TEDxUniversityofNevada

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by RighteousnessTemperance&, Apr 4, 2021.

1. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did a little searching and found this 2018 TEDx Talk by Sheryl Atkisson. While I didn't need her to tell me the lay of the land, she lays it out better than I could.

How Real Is Fake News? | Sharyl Attkisson | TEDxUniversityofNevada

Here's the TEDx introductory info on Sheryl and her talk:

Was the effort to focus America's attention on the idea of “fake news”—itself a propaganda effort? Connect the dots and learn who’s behind it and why. It’s not what you think.

Sharyl Attkisson is a five-time Emmy Award winner and recipient of the Edward R. Murrow award for investigative reporting and author of two New York Times bestsellers: “The Smear” and “Stonewalled.” Attkisson hosts the Sunday national TV news program “Full Measure,” which focuses on investigative and accountability reporting. For thirty years, Attkisson was a correspondent and anchor at PBS, CNN and CBS News, where the Washington Post described her as "a persistent voice of news-media skepticism about the government's story.” She’s a fourth degree blackbelt in TaeKwonDo.

This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx

2. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a fairly accurate transcript done by a group based in India.

Sharyl Attkisson: How Real Is Fake News? (TEDx Talks Transcript)

One error should instead read… Well, I'll just quote the paragraph corrected, plus one:

[5:08] Exactly one month later, President Obama [chimed in]. He insisted in a speech that he too thought somebody needed to step in and curate information in this Wild, Wild West media environment. Nobody in the public have been clamoring for any such thing, yet suddenly the topic of fake news dominates headlines on a daily basis.

It’s as if the media have been given its marching orders. Fake news, they insisted, was an imminent threat to American democracy. But as somebody who's studied the industry that seeks to manipulate all of us on behalf of paid interests, I know that few themes arise in our environment organically.​

3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The mainstream newsmedia lies daily to manipulate us to do the will of the billionairs. I will not comply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not always what they say - but what they leave out.

• Agree Agree x 2