1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How should Christian view immigration and national sovereignty?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Another great video at PragerU, by Michelle Malkin.

A Nation of Immigrants

As you know, Christians are very confused over this issue of illegal immigration. Shouldn't we welcome all immigrants? Shouldn't churches provide sanctuary for illegal immigrants?

And the ultimate platitude: Shouldn't we build bridges instead of walls?

It's one of those issues where a myriad of verses can be taken out of context to confuse the biblically illiterate.

I think the above video does a whole lot to at least educate people on the American approach to immigration.

2. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians are not confused, snowflakes are confused.

We have compassion but don't choose to ignore law

1Co 14:40

Let all things be done decently and in order.

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

My take?
    But is there such a thing as a Christian Snowflake? I have to say, I believe there is, and I think we should be actively trying to melt away their confusion.

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

My take on this is very simple. God endorses nationalism and government sovereignty (Genesis 11, Romans 13) and borders and regulated humane immigration. And God warns against globalism.

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Someone who cuts in line in front of legal immigrants, those who respect our laws (something God wants all Christians to do, romans 13). Do you endorse line cutting? Do you not respect those waiting in line?

Lands always change hands. Happens all the time. Natives Americans warred with other Native Americans and displaced them. Paul acknowledge the sovereignty of Rome, and they definitely took over lands. It's kind of irrelevant for the Christian. We obey ruling authorities.

Only when immigration is controlled and people assimilate. Otherwise, we are not a "melting pot." Melting pot is colloquialism for assimilation. I believe in the melting pot (assimilation) philosophy of America. It's the very reason we have survived as an immigrant nation.

But it appears you're avoiding the distinction of illegal and legal. Do you not believe nations have the sovereignty to control their borders and award citizenship? Do you believe America could right now send over 100,000 people to Mexico to vote in their next election and alter its outcome?

• Like Like x 1
  6. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    fake Christians or weak Christians

7. Calminian

Site Supporter

It's a combo of both, IMO, though I might designate uninformed rather than weak. Yes, I do believe there are many fake Christians, and often they are aligned with political leftism.

8. Calminian

Site Supporter

BTW, Trump is definitely building an impressive wall. That's a beast. I know border patrol is thankful, as it makes their job a lot easier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have been sitting on my post because not to long after I posted it... Read it again and deleted it, but I guess not soon enough... I decided then to opt out of this discussion... Good day.... Brother Glen:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Calminian

Site Supporter

Well, I actually appreciated the input. Disagreements are the key to refining our positions.

Yeah, I guess I did respond fast.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems Dems formerly agreed with your post and even have heroes who violently agreed with it.

Illegal Immigration: It's About Power

• Like Like x 1
  12. Calminian

Site Supporter

Such common sense. It's amazing that people don't understand this anymore, especially Christians. But this type of thinking is in short supply today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said I wasn't going to jump in but this answer peaked my interest and I felt I would say this, as it seems to fit in the discussion, as the Lord has something against the church at Ephesus

Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.

The name “Nicolaitans” is derived from the Greek word nikolaos, a compound of the words nikos and laos. The word nikos is the Greek word that means to conquer or to subdue. The word laos is the Greek word for the people. It is also where we get the word laity. When these two words are compounded into one, they form the name Nicolas, which literally means one who conquers and subdues the people. It seems to suggest that the Nicolaitans were somehow conquering and subduing the people.

Ummm!...Interesting... Brother Glen:)

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Or it could just be the name of some really bad immoral guy whom people followed into sin. I tend to read Revelation literally unless clear symbolism is pointed out (which it often is).

#14 Calminian, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019