1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How the KJV 1611 handled the Apocrypha

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

skan,

for one to be a true mv "defender" they have to have double standards. It's SOP for them.

Jim

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skan - I attack the KJVO sect that is a schizmatic and divisive sub group of Ruckman, Hyles sycophants. I attack THEIR ignorance in elevating a VERSION.

Skan - you have accused me 6 times in your previous post. I demonstrate that the KJV/AV1611 is a "version" that has some problems in translation. Hello? It was done by Anglican Priests, with limited Greek resources, and is not the BEST translation in every place.

I appreciate seeing my name so prominent in your posts. But grow up. Attack the issues, not "but Dr. Bob does" yet without proof.

I understand that to YOU I see your thinking pattern, when I attack "only" I am attacking the KJV. And you equate "Bible" with KJV.

Sad.

3. michelle

michelle New Member

Peace and love to you all in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour!

--------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Bob quoted:

Language changes and THANK GOD His Word, written in Greek, can be translated now into 2004 language that people can understand.
    --------------------------------------------------

Dr. Bob,

As I have said before, it is not the changing of archaic words to simpler words for the common person to understand that is the problem. It is the texts that underline the mv's that have been responsible for the many omissions/deletions of God's pure word of truth and the changing of words which alter the meaning of the context, or that try to fix what looks to be contradictions, which in fact are not, which then changes God's truth in his word. THESE ARE THE PROBLEMS, and why they should be REJECTED by those who love the Lord Jesus Christ and his pure word of truth.

For a pastor to refer to other versions in order for a better understanding of the plain text in the KJV says to me, that this pastor is not relying upon the wisdom and understanding that the Lord Jesus Christ has given him, but what he has gained from someone or something else, and a corrupt one at that.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I defend all bibles. I will defend the KJV and I will defend the NIV. Both are the word of God. Unfortunately the KJVOs attack the word of God as found in the NIV and Dr. Bob attacks the word of God as found in the KJV. Both are equally guilty.

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

No, your post attacked the words of the KJV.
    And I demonstrated to you that those "problems" could be solved by simply looking the words up in a dictionary. And how did you respond to that? You said "I would figure you to spout that nonsense."
    And, of course, I have never claimed it was the best in every place, but neither have I condemned it because it was translated by "Anglican Priests" which is a term you like to bandy about as another means of attacking the KJV. You get all upset when the KJVOs do the same thing to the NIV or other newer version, but you do exactly the same thing to the KJV. It doesn't matter who did the translation. The accuracy of the translation is all that is at issue, not the personalities involved. But for some reason you seem as obsessed as the Ruckmanites. They have their bogey man, the "Alexandrian Cult" and you have yours, the "Anglican Priests."
    I grew up 21 years ago when I turned 21. And I expose hypocrisy everywhere I find it. I expose it when it is posted by KJVOs and I expose it when it is posted by you. If you don't like your own hypocrisy being exposed then I suggest you take your own advice, "grow up."
    Yes, your failure to understand is sad. I don't equate "bible" with the KJV. But the KJV is a bible, unless you now doubt that also, just as the ASV, NASB, RSV, NIV, NKJV, and all the others are bibles.

And, unlike you, I don't attack any of them. But you constantly and viciously attack the KJV then say "I'm not attacking the KJV, I'm attacking KJVO!" But, of course, you do attack the KJV as your little post about how dumb your students are clearly shows.

You like to stir up strife. You like to attack the KJV under the guise of exposing the falsity of KJVOism. But by so doing you expose yourself as being as wrong as Ruckman and Riplinger, and on exactly the same level.

6. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Those who aggressively defend the KJV...

...I seriously doubt that they OBEY the KJV version text.

They do not, and I'm sure of it.

They defend what they do NOT practice.

They have never put a mill stone around their neck and cast themselves into the sea--after offending a little one who believes in Jesus.

They have never plucked out an eye that offended them, nor amputated a hand that sinned.

They have probably disobeyed: "forbid not to speak with tongues."

They probably let women worship without a head covering.

Why does the KJV have 66 books, one 6 shy of 666?

Who was King James, and why is his version and person exalted so highly?

KJVOnly cultists do not realize that variant readings can actually enhance our understanding of the Word of God.

The same verse in the same wording can get mentally stale in our limited human minds. Nothing stale about God's Word, but staleness occurs in our minds, we psychologically grow immune to it. A new version or even a paraphrase can wake us up and inspire a new appreciation of a principle.

Worship a version of the Bible? Not me. Can't figger that out. Not at all.

Every time you paraphrase a Bible verse, put it "in your own words" failing to quote exactly from KJV or NKJV or whatever, you are creating a version of your own. That's okay. As long as the truth remains. Truth is not bound to one version in the past.

Originally the NT and OT were oral only. So to be really purist elitist you could say all written versions are corrupt. Only the oral tradition is pure. Ha! Jesus wrote no books!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree! It IS one of the essential issues concerning the publication of the Word of God as far as I am concerned. And I do understand both the meaning and usage of the koine Greek of the apostolic era having studied it formerly and otherwise for over 30 years.

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~jtreat/koine/classical.html
    That is really a nit Skan and probably wrong in terms of period influence as well. The Jacobean period was short (1606-1625). The King James translators started their work (1607/8), the reign of Elizabeth was 1558–1603.

I say Elizabethan because of the powerful influence of Shakespeare (1564-1616) that had a far greater impact upon the English language under the reign of Elizabeth, King James and the AV translators than that of the Jacobean period.

http://www.bardweb.net/england.html
    You misrepresented me. I didn’t say the Word of God is lost. I said it was more and more being lost TO the present generation with the passage of time.
    HankD

8. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Try using KJV in a Junior High Sunday school class.

You have to explain constantly, while their misty eyes wander around bored. So we got NKJV and that works a lot better.

Jr. High kids can barely smell, I mean spell or read basic modern English. use KJV and you've lost em. Sure you can patiently try to explain the eccentric archaic language, but do they care to hear these obscure ramblings? No.

9. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Then you know that Koine Greek was NOT the common language of the people (which was Aramaic) but rather the common language used by speakers of different languages, or the lingua franca! It was a language understood by Jews (whose common language was Aramaic), Romans (whose common language was Latin), Greeks (whose common language was Attic), and the rest of the known world due to the success of Alexander the Great uniting the world 300 years before Christ.

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Michelle,
    I would be very careful how you put this. I know what you mean, but the way you are stating it is exactly what the Catholic church has done for years. "Yes, the Bible is God's Holy Word, but let our pastors (priests and bishops) in the Vatican allow the Spirit to interpret it and therefore the final statement will come from the Vatican."
    Now, you probably think there is no comparison, but what you are doing is saying that if you pastor listens to the Holy Spirit and uses his Bible without further training or research then he is a capable pastor; which may be true, to a certain extent. You are then going to go to church assuming that your pastor has had revelations of what he thinks the KJV says and start listening to HIS translation of the archaic language of the KJV and in your mind, you will think you are getting this revelation. You have to be very careful.
    Hank's pastor said nothing wrong, in fact, he is absolutely correct that a clearer understanding of scripture can be done (and I've said this all along) if you have a good parallel Bible. If you feel stronger about the KJV, then you can always compare directly. I think you will be surprised that the MVs do say exactly the same thing, but you may also be surprised that by reading MVs alongside the KJV, you will see things there you never saw before.
    Now, let me be REAL clear. I am NOT saying that the Holy Spirit does not speak to your heart when you read the Word of God. He will and can, as long as you are truly open to it, understand it is Him and not your own emotional feelings, etc. The Holy Spirit will speak to you no matter what translation you choose. That is because it is God's Word.

About your response regarding understanding every word he said, how about if I make you up a list of words, straight from the KJV and list them, then you tell me (without asking your preacher or referring to a Bible dictionary) what they mean, are you up to that little exercise? If it is in a list, you should still be able to understand it perfectly outside of context, because that means you understand every sentence completely. If you have to see it in the verse (or in context) then you could be putting your own meaning to the word. [​IMG]

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oooopps, sorry Dr. Bob, I skipped a page and didn't see your list. But, I bet I could make up another one.

12. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Phillip, I could make a similar list from the NIV, NASB, ASV, etc., of words you probably don't understand without checking a dictionary or asking someone, but that does not invalidate the NIV, NASB, ASV, etc., any more than a list of words Dr. Bob's students don't understand invalidates the KJV. My youngest son doesn't understand the words of any book, but that doesn't invalidate the book. [​IMG]

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skan, it is my opinion that you are so intent on being right that you have gone beyond debate into sword clashing rhetoric and simply stating the obvious as if it were the issue.

The word "koine" itself means common. Read again a functional definition of "koine" and go back to the URL I previously posted.

There is a reason why God chose koine Greek as opposed to Classical:
    To bring the Word of God to the widest demographic of peoples (GENTILES as well as Jews) in the language of life ("Koinê was more practical than academic, putting the stress on clarity rather than eloquence...Koinê was the language of life and not of books") to the then populated world.

. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koine

So, after endorsing your statement of the obvious and just in case we have lost the real issue and the thrust of this dialogue: Elizabethan (or Jacobean) English is no longer the "koine" (and actually never was exactly such) of the English speaking peoples.

Therefore IMO there is a need for this generation of English speaking peoples (or any other peoples) to have a Bible translation in the own "koine".

For now IMO, the NKJV/NASB fulfills that role since (at least to me) it is apparent that the KJV does not except in our cloistered churches where the KJV dialect is spoken and understood.
    Many of these church folks not understanding the needs of "the lost" and condemning modern "koine" mv supporters as pushers of "satanic counterfeits".

That is not to say that the KJV has not been greatly used of God or that it is not the infallible inerrant Word of God or that it should not be used at all.
    No one has to let go of it (having worn out several myself).
    Have it, love it, use it.

But, the audience gets smaller and not just because of secular disinterest but also because of a widening linguistic disconnect.

Many translations have had similar histories, namely the Old Itala, the version of the early Roman martyrs, out of it came the AV of the Roman world the Latin Vulgate.
    After several centuries Italians no longer versed in Latin had the Word of God but mumbo-jumbo-ized.

Did you know that the phrase "hocus-pocus" comes out of the Latin mass?
    It is what "hoc est corpus meum" (this is my body-Latin Vulgate) sounds like when rattled off by a Roman priest in the consecration of the host in the Latin mass, this phrase from the Vulgate must be used or the host is not consecrated (Pre-Vatican II)

I bring this to bear because we Baptists now have people saying that one can not be saved except by the preaching from the KJV.

Do you see a similar non-RCC trend developing?

It is IMO one of many such as "the language of heaven" and "secondary inspiration" and "advanced revelation" developing out of the plain and clear error of the KJVO.

Not saying that you are part of that radical element either but often you give that impression.

HankD

[ March 14, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

14. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Once again you have completely missed the point. You belabor the idea of "the bible in the common language in every day use" and insist the common language is early 21st century English when, in fact, the idea of "common" did not mean "commonly used in daily life" but a language held in common by people of all nationalities. By your logic everyone should learn English as the "common language" and only use one vernacular of the bible. You sound more and more like a Ruckmanite every day!

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was both as well as the native language of Macedonia, Greece and much of Asia Minor, the fertile ground of the apostolic Church...

"Koinê was the language of life and not of books"

"This allowed his (Alexander) combined army to communicate and was also taught to the inhabitants of the regions that he conquered, turning it into a 'world language'".

There you have it.

Read the websites.

Let the readers decide.

HankD

[ March 14, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]

16. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Wrong again. The native language of Macedonia was Macedonian, the native language of Greece was Attic, and the native language of much of Asia Minor was Galatian, a form of Celtic. And, of course, the native language of the bible writers, with the possible exception of Luke, was Aramaic.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skan writes...
    Had you not said this brother Skan, I might not have responded but...
    From The speech of Alexander I, when he was admitted to the Olympic games...
    Bill Gatzoulis ibid above.

Not during the spread of the Apostolic Church by the Apostles: (see not below RE: fluent)
    In his book A DUMBELL'S GUIDE TO GREEK by Glen Maiden,
    He says that there are four major Greek dialects: Aeolic, Doric, Ionic and Attic
    And that Greek replaced these dialects and that they were neither spoken nor written by 300 A.D. and that Attic was used by the classic writers of the fifth and fourth centuries B.C. because of its refinement, precision, and beauty.

He also says that Koine lasted from the Alexandrian period, 4th century BC until the 5th century AD and that Koine had a wide geographical range, and was spoken from Gaul to Syria.
    He requests that direct quotes not be used if you respond. You can find this publication online at: http://dumbellgreek.gospelcom.net/intro.html

OK Skan, I will cede one thing: my use of the word native for “much” of Asia Minor. Based on all the other documentation I have provided, I can safely say that “much” of Asia Minor was fluent in Koine. Also the NT was codified into the inspired text of Koine not Aramaic.

In fact in deference to you brother, I will retract the word “native” in all places and replace it with “fluent”.
    I grant you that because you are right on that point and is more akin to the issue being debated.

Having said that here is my re-re-iteration of my position:

Koine Greek was chosen by God to spread the Gospel and the other inspired NT writings To bring the Word of God to the widest demographic of peoples It was the “common” language of the hellenized world (Gaul to Syria as stated above) and most of the “common” people (average rank and file) humanity of the hellenized world were fluent in koine.[qoute]Koinê was more practical than academic, putting the stress on clarity rather than eloquence. Its grammar was simplified, exceptions were decreased and generalized, inflections were dropped or harmonized, and sentence-construction made easier. Koinê was the language of life and not of books.

As an illustration of my use of the word koine, which would evoke a better common bond of understanding if I went into a restaurant and said to the “average” waitress the following:

Perchance, I, having found grace in thine eyes , wouldst thou fetch unto me a vessel of coffee and a morsel of apple dainties?

OR

Would you please bring me a cup of coffee and a piece of apple pie.

The KJV, while being the inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of God by virtue of its derivation is not "koine-common" English in any of the meanings of "koine-common" as illustrated above. To me this is an issue, not a divise issue (as far as I am concerned) but nonetheless an issue since Elizabethan-Jacobean English is fading into history.

HankD

18. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Once again, just because some modern day fools have a language they call "Macedonian" doesn't disprove the existence and use of Macedonian in Macedon from about 300BC until 500AD. If you would check the Linguistic List of Ancient and Extinct Languages you would note the following entry: Ancient Macedonian: Subgroup ID: IEGB, Subgroup Name: Macedonian. "The ancient language of the Macedonian kingdom in N. Greece and modern Macedonia during the later 1st millennium BC. Survived until the early 1st millennium AD. Not to be confused with the modern Macedonian language, which is a close relative of the Slavic Bulgarian."

A little more research would have uncovered this little tidbit: "From about 350 B.C. to 330 A.D., Attic Greek was the common language used throughout Greece and conquered territories."

So, it would seem you are wrong again, twice, but did (finally) admit your error regarding Asia Minor. Maybe we are making some progress after all.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fools Skan?

I thought "common" was "koine"

To cede a point does not make one wrong.

Again, let the readers discern who is wrong.

Peace brother.

HankD

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we might be just a little off the theme here. What should matter to us is what language(s) Jesus used, and what languages besides the obvious might've been used by those who wrote the NT mss now known.