1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How the KJV 1611 handled the Apocrypha

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Mar 10, 2004.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roby that is important because it bears upon the translation that we use. Rather than say "common" the speech used by the apostles in the gospels and epistles was not "high church" language but that which the "average" person of the then known world could easily understand.

HankD

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank - appreciate the research. You will never win a point with Skan/Cassidy. Cannot be wrong we've learned!

A lot like me! :rolleyes:

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought so!!

HankD

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That would depend on how it is used. In some places it means a bottle or vessel of skin (See Isa. 22:24), and in other places it means a cake made of pressed raisins. See Easton.
    The only time it is used in the KJV it means "ointment" which is also a current meaning of the word: A sweetened medicinal compound; an electuary.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Current meaning is the same as the KJV: A small round shield.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    To spread news of; repeat. A rumor.
    The act of lying. A lie; a falsehood.
    Doesn't occur in the KJV. If you meant to type "tutors" it means the legal guardians of a minor, which is the current meaning of the word: The legal guardian of a minor and of the minor's property.
    Still means the same thing today: Ignoble; base, Common, Low in social status; of humble origins.
    An enclosure. We still call a bed with an enclosure a "settle bed." It can also mean a place lower than the rest such as a step or a platform. Ez 43:14.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company
    The edible seeds of certain pod-bearing plants, such as peas and beans. A plant yielding these seeds.
    A position of difficulty, perplexity, distress, or need. Often used in the plural: "in desperate straits."
    Plunder taken from an enemy in time of war. Goods or property seized by force or piracy. A valuable prize, award, or gain. Plural of booty.
    Something that hinders; an obstacle: "free to investigate without let or hindrance."
    Then your class must have all flunked basic contemporary English for, out of the 12, 10 are still current!
    Except the language has not changed all that much. 10 of the 12 words currently mean the same as they do in the KJV. What has changed is the quality of the education of your students. And, as you taught them, perhaps you should accept your share of the blame! [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]You have pointed out exactly the problem with the KJV. It may be the quality of education, because if it takes a Seminary professor to teach a student how to read the KJV, then obviously the words are too difficult for the average church member, including a 13 year old girl who can read the NIV. Based on your post----It seems okay to read the KJV as long as you have a copy of: "The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company." close at hand. So, according to your post, if you know every word in THAT dictionary, then you will not flunk contemporary English? I don't think Dr. Bob is the problem considering the level at which he teaches. Maybe you ought to be jumping out the reading teachers that teach third grade reading. They aren't teaching enough contemporary English!!!!
    :D

[ March 15, 2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

You think I am brother Cassidy? Sorry, but my name is Paul Andrew. Brother Cassidy is my pastor. Admittedly, he does provide me with some of the answers I post, but to think he and I are the same person is pretty paranoid!

I post from the Seminary LAN when I am at the church, and use the LAN dial up to connect to the LAN when I am at home. The LAN uses Brother Cassidy's office computer as the server.

Sorry, but once again you have made an incorrect assumption.

6. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

You thought wrong. I have identified myself to several people on the forum who have emailed me or sent me a private message.

7. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Why does it take a seminary professor to look up a word in a dictionary? My kids (with the exception of the youngest who can't read yet) do it all the time.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skan, nobody said you WERE Doc Cassidy. Just that your posts were obviously being spoon fed by Doc. Many of the exact same lines and phrases and "proofs". It is obvious.

And you have repeatedly said you were a student at SDBTS of which he is the President so it should have been clear to all.

Just important for folks to recognize WHERE you are coming from and WHO your arguments reflects.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, but his style comes shining through you!

HankD

10. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

He doesn't "spoon feed" me anything. I ask him a question and he tells me where to look for the answer. Quite often it is one of the syllabuses used in the Seminary.
    I am not a parrot. I use resources which bolster my position. There are some things I disagree with Pastor about, and others where I agree completely. But I am my own man, and always will be.

11. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I consider that a tremendous compliment. He is one of the godliest men I have ever known, and is a well of knowledge and information. I hope that someday I will be half the Christian man he is. I have watched him fight battles regarding health issues that would have killed a lesser man, and he just smiles and keeps right on going. And while going he touches the lives of hundreds of people for the better.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should!

HankD