1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to discern this????

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Rooster, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Galatians 4:21-31
    Does this particular passage say in anyway that the Arab/Muslim nation is to be Quote : verse 30 "cast out"? I realize the context is about the promis to Abraham, but with in that context it allmost allows Christian, and Jews to (For lack of a better word) hate the Arab/ Muslim Nation, or am I reading this wrong, it wont be hard to convince me that I'm reading this wrong, just need someone to point out were I'm misreading this. Thank you for any help you can provide, God Bless [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, the Muslim religion was formed much later in history than the writings of Paul. No, these particular verses don't deal with it in that light.

Secondly, most of us are of a gentile background and therefore not "of Abraham" (and therefore not "children of promise"). By your thinking, we too should rightfully be "cast out" and hated.
    But by God's saving grace we have been grafted into His family after being born according to His Spirit.

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free"
    Glory be to God! No hate, only freedom and thanksgiving.

Rob

3. Loren B

Loren B New Member

4. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Thanks Deacon I knew there was a logical expanation, I didn't like the idea that God word had a racist message.

5. Eagle

Eagle Member

Dear Rooster,

Firstly, we are told in this passage that these things "are an allegory" (v.24). In order for an allegory to make sense -- there has to be truth in, and recognizable characteristics about, the subjects of the allegory. Therefore, it is undeniable that the genetic "children" of Hagar are predisposed, if you will, to be like their mother -- and are not of faith, or freedom. This is much like how I cannot help but find, at times, whether I like it or not, that I am my earthly father's son -- I'm very much like him in many ways!

Secondly, this in no way means that any of them cannot at any time be saved. We are drawn "from faith to faith" by the Holy Spirit to repentance and savation -- as individuals -- regardless of genetics. I have been born-again, but my earthly father (from all indications) has not. God deals with us as individuals and we must deal with others as individuals. Esau tended toward being selfish, carnal, unappreciative of the greater things of God than simple morsels of food. Jacob, for all his faults, tended toward comprehending and appreciating the greater and deeper things of God, and faith. These tendencies have generally held true throughout their progeny -- and still do.

Thirdly, I see no place for "hate" here -- even though these things be true. As Chritians, we will evangelize individuals -- where, when, and whom, we can. Jonah serves as an example here. Jonah, apparently hated the Ninevites, for whatever reason. They had been historic enemies of God's people, etc. Though Jonah "wrestled" with God in the matter of his evangelizing this people -- he eventually relented and was used mightily of God. Later, he was miserable, because he still hated these people...whom God loved. God is our true example here.

Bottom line to me brother, they are who they are, and we ought wisely and carefully (circumspectly) to bear that in mind -- but they can be saved. Just as a miserable wretch like me was. There is place for caution, but give no place for hate! [​IMG]

6. Rooster

Rooster New Member

thats a big 10-4, very informitive. thank you.

7. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Galatians 4:23: "For this Hagar is Mt. Sinai in Arabia..."
    The Law. Old Jerusalem.
    "Cast out the bondwoman and her son..." 4:30
    Forget about trying to be saved, or gaining Gods' favor, by keeping the law, you can't do it.
    You are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, or you are not saved. Grace through faith: we are not children born the natural way: Hagar; but we are children by promise (Sarah, the free woman, grace through faith, the New Jerusalem.)
    This has nothing to do with the Arab/Muslim people.

8. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Thank you watchman, the best I,ve heard yet, that without a doubt is what the passage is saying, VERY insightful. I am floored, what else can I say , you hit the nail right on the head! Thankyou everyone I was struggleing with this one, God used all of you to reveal this to me, God Bless, Amen, Glory to God!