1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to get more involved in church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 23, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church is not into contact evangelism so street evangelism, open air preaching, going door to door are not activities they would engage in unfortunately. They do have a nursing home ministry and I have preached before in such environments back in SC however my preaching may be too harsh in such an environment where the church assumes everyone is saved. Yes back in SC that's what the leadership assumed and when I modeled myself after some sermons that a Ray Comfort or rev brother Paul Washer would have done that did not sit well. But then again I was in a IFB church and now a Reformed Baptist church.

I am not a teacher regardless of what the spiritual gifts tests say so that option is out. Hmm at a loss for ideas so just continue to do my street evangelism and be faithful in that ministry.

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. Maybe prison ministry?

• Like Like x 1
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't have one

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start your own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started my own street evangelism ministry but my partner moved recently to another state.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How to get more involved in church:

Sit down, shut up, join a church, submit to it's authority, work hard, and pay your debts. The rest will work itself out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me but I have joined the church and something you have been told 50 times! You continue to say this to harass me and I am tired of it Aaron.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I suggest that you conduct ministry as a part of a church, street preaching included. I suggest this because the evangelist is subject to a local congregation insofar as his doctrine and method. God gifts a congregation for the ministry and individuals to work as members of a larger body. God doesn’t gift one evangelist with all of the gifts needed for the ministry (you will need oversight in doctrine).

Second, I suggest that you ask your pastor where there is a need and seek to fill it. If there is no need in the entire church, then there may be a larger issue.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Step back a bit and serve in a humble service capacity.
    Watch, wait, and learn from those around you.

A past pastor, much beloved, told of time when he served at a youth camp.
    He expected much responsibility because he had so many gifts. What he got was a summer cleaning toilets 'for the Lord'.

Humbling, in the same vein as Christ washing feet.

Years later he still said it was where he really learned to serve the Lord with gladness.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I am paying my debts!!!!

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A while back I told them of my street evangelism. The church endorses friendship evangelism not contact evangelism so they will not get involved in this type of thing.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan- Are you open to serving in the church doing the unseen and unappreciated jobs? Cleaning toilets after service, shoveling sidewalk, mowing grass, emptying the trash, etc.?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We start VBS in a few hours, so my week of intensive humility training is about to begin, as I take up my duties as the "outside teacher," aka recreation. Lol...

Apparently one of my spiritual gifts is the ability to stay outside for two hours straight in this NC heat and humidity. And it's a gift that seems to be in short supply.

:Cool

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

I have a feeling you've blocked me, but I really hope you learn to trust God, and stop trying to please him with your own efforts. These threads reek of self congratulation, another thing I used to do - I would post lots of threads online talking about how wonderful evangelism was and ask how I could do more. I wasn't interested in the responses of course - I just wanted to humble brag about my "great efforts" for the gospel, and make everyone else feel inadequate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then get involved in their "type of thing" and maybe a door will open later on.

You have to remember that you are part of a larger body (but one member designed to work as a part of the whole). When you take to the streets alone then you not only have no support, no oversight, but also no biblical warrant for your ministry.

I struggled early on with the same type of thing. It was difficult for me to surrender even what I knew was spiritually gifted to God through His church. But that is what I had to do because we are not only called to use our gifts but we are called to use our gifts within the body of Christ. I'm not where I wanted to be ten years ago, but I'm probably the better for it and I certainly have a joy that would never have come my way if I remained prideful in my gifting.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A old pastor taught me that the church equipped people for the ministry and then expected the people to be out making disciples and or doing evangelism on their own.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the problem. They have no programs or structure for friendship evangelism. Nothing at all.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was very wrong. We may be alone at the time, but the true disciple never does evangelism on their own. This is simply not the way that Jesus trained His disciples, not what Paul taught, and it is not the way that the church s in Acts operated.

That said, I have heard (and agree) with pastors who have said similar things when discussing the role of the church assembly and evangelism (we gather to worship and strengthen the body, depart to witness...ect.). But this is an entirely different context. Your ministry is not your own, unless you are alone and then it is yours and not God's.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they are not faithful enough to be witnesses of Christ then would you not say they are a dead church?

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the area of evangelism.