1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to Sound Like a Bibliology Scholar

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, those in the KJVO camp show themselves to be the most serious violators of sound bibliology!

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the area of inspiration, the KJVO radicals are not the only problem causers. I believe that Neo-Orthodoxy has done more harm than the KJVO movment. Nida was Neo-Orthodox, and he changed the whole dialogue about translation theory with an openly existential position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and I am still with some reservations on how one can hold to a verbal inerrancy view, and also agree with DE translation methods!

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that we cannot have an absolute word for word translation, but since the Holy Spirit inspired down to the very word themselves, why we not try to do translation as a Formal one?

6. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully approve of that approach to the understanding of the Bible, but am not sure it is the way to interpret it.

I'm not splitting hairs, or moving off topic. We do need that strict approach to understand & teach the plain meaning of the Word of God. The arguments reported in the epistles show the way e.g. a "Jewish" understanding of Scripture resulting in preaching another gospel whereas Paul's understanding by revelation resulted in the true Gospel.

Thus Paul shows that God's dealings with Abram had an eternal significance that was overriding compared with God's dealings with Moses. Likewise the teachings of the Apostles are the key to understanding & interpreting the OT Law & the Prophets, particularly in relation to Christ as the fulfilment.

#86 Covenanter, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Jewish leaders had a non biblical salvation, as paul showed in Romans and Galatians, but their views on eschatology was still valid, its just that they mixed up the first and second coming as to what Messiah would do and be!

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are badly in need of the NIrV.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And JJ replied with :"Same here."

Shame shame JJ.

In your thread How do you know it's Dynamic Equivalence? you said :

"My method is also strongly influenced by verbal plenary inspiration. If every word is inspired, why not be careful with every single word of the translation? By this statement I am not accusing you or anyone else who prefers DE of not believing in verbal plenary inspiration. I've never said that and have never believed or even thought that." (2/4/09)

Yeah, right. I challenged you then that you indeed doubted those who used a DE version believed in VPI. And now you openly admit.

"My belief that the doctrine of verbal plenary inspiration in the original Hebrew and Greek should naturally lead to a more literal method of translation. And I once again give the disclaimer that I don't mean people who translate with the DE method or who read such translations are denying this doctrine." (2/15/09)

JJ's disclaimer was false.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've already discussed how the Bibliology wannabe expert will learn how to use Strong's so he or she will appear to know the original languages. The next step is for the wannabe expert to talk authoritatively about how the original languages (which he does not know) should be translated.

Pidgeon does that here: On the Translation of Chanok

In case you are wondering, "Chanok" is Enoch. What he does is make all of the NT names to have Hebrew pronunciation, even though they come from Greek. Now, on that page, he also attempts to interpret the original Greek, only here he makes a huge error. He thinks the "underlying Hebrew" word is important. Hello? Anyone home upstairs? There is no underlying Hebrew to any passage in the NT except those which definitely mention Hebrew. In particular, there is no solid evidence (and no mss) that Hebrews was ever written in Hebrew originally, though it has been speculated.

As a Greek teacher, I often laugh at efforts by the untrained to interpret the Greek. Would you try to explain Latin or Japanese to someone without having studied it? Or would you ask your non-plumber cousin to fix the pipes in your house? Of course not! But even here on the BB, it often happens that the untrained try to tell us how a passage should be translated.

Pshaw! :p

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Holy Spirit word for word, or thought by thought than?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, but find my ESV and Nas quite enough!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or just take the kjv, and state that it is already perfect, no need to ever translate again!

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All this time I thought it was a helicopter with two blades.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son, unqualified in plumbing, gas and water, electrics or electronics, inspected the church central heating system.

The qualified installer had had no idea electronics or how to program the thermostat. Pastor was controlling it manually.

Son Jason checked it all, installed and programmed the wireless thermostat. It's been trouble free for seven years.

He then replaced our CH system doing a lot of replumbing and installed the same thermostat as the church and explained it to me.

Both systems are in good running order.

Brilliant!! Try to find a guy qualified in all the skills AND willing to fix someone else's failed installation.

Translation, Pastoring, preaching, interpretation are different gifts/ skills. An agreed translation does not lead to agreed interpretation. The KJV was the agreed translation for centuries, and many sects and heresies arose.

The past century has seen a massive translation "industry" and a multiplication of interpretations.

Expertise as a translator does not imply sound doctrine. And sometimes translations can be guided by doctrine, rather than the reverse.

E.g. I hold to Reformed, Baptist, amillennial teaching. I would question a translation used to teach contrary doctrine. People often say, "the correct translation is ......"

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, does all of this make you a Bibliology expert in any way, shape or form? Does it make you qualified to pontificate on the original languages here on the Baptist Board?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but my sixty four year of Bible reading & study & worship listening, discussing & preaching with the indwelling Holy Spirit does give me competence to teach, & to challenge contrary doctrine.

I hope you don't take the attitude, "I'm the Greek & Hebrew expert, therefore my understanding/interpretation of Scripture cannot be challenged."

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order to be able to do that, think that one needs to really know the Greek and Hebrew used in the originals! And also be well versed in textual criticism....

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does my 70+ years of doing the same trump your 64 years? Is competence as a bible exegete simply a matter of age?

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not talking about doctrine. Haven't said a word about doctrine. Please stick to the subject.
    Nope. I'm not a Hebrew expert. :p But seriously, there are enough on the BB who are fluent in the original languages to keep me honest.

But you haven't answered my question. When you first came on the BB, you made out like you were a Greek and Hebrew expert. A little humility and honesty then would have gone a long way towards making you accepted and respected here, something like: "I don't know Greek, but here is what I've gleaned from the xxx.com website."