1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How to Sound Like a Bibliology Scholar

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When one uses the Strongs as their essential Greek study tool, that right there would make their Greek proficiency get questioned!

2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never claimed to be a Greek & Hebrew expert. NEVER.
    I have used Strong's numbering courtesy of the blueletterbible.org & acknowledge my source. I have been criticised for using what you refer to as an out of date reference. As the BLB with Strong gives access to both the TR & the MGNT & many modern translations, permits word search in Greek (& Hebrew) & many other 'tools' arguments against it have to be specific, not general.

3. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not, but years of study does give a familiarity with Scripture & a competence to discuss questions arising.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And can formal education in Hebrew and Greek enhance that familiarity and competence?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that a pastor, or even a layperson, would desire if at all possible to gain some knowledge of biblical Greek/Hebrew.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be glad to. Strong's is a Concordance, not a Lexicon. As a Concordance it functions fairly well. As a Lexicon it fails miserably due to several specific reasons. The first is the root fallacy. The second is the outdated lexical definitions (often relying on how the KJV translates the word as the primary meaning). Strong's confuses etymology with philology, often ignoring Koine cognates (which we have seen over and over again right here on the Baptist Board).

Strong's Concordance gives a gloss for each lemma, but such is not the main purpose of Strong's and as such it should not be used as a lexicon.

For instance, if I said, "I am looking for a match." What would I mean? I want to light a candle? I want to find a life's romantic partner? The meaning is ambiguous because no grammatical factors are included (in what case is it, what number, what gender, if a verb what tense, voice, mood?). Strong's offers no help in this area.

Strong's offers no help when determining which gloss is most appropriate in context. Knowledge of the original languages is required to determine what grammatical and contextual features are present in order to determine the correct gloss.

As examples of etymological fallacies think of these words, "awful." It used to mean "full of awe." Now it means "terrible." A "butterfly" contains no butter and is not a fly. Here is an interesting one: "December." If you commit the root fallacy and understand the word in its Latin context you would note "Dec" means "10" so "December" must be the 10th month of the year. Except it's not!

I will even go out on a limb here and say that many of the Lexical works which have been published using Strong's numbers are almost as bad. Many of my friends cite Smith or Thayer, both of which have been coded to Strong's numbers. But both of those Lexicons are over 120 years old and are terribly out-dated and are, in my opinion, obsolete.

There is no short cut to Hebrew and Greek exegesis. If you want to "go to the Greek" you will have to take the time to learn it. There is no other way.

I have been studying biblical languages for over 40 years (studying under some of the very best Hebrew and Greek scholars) and still consider myself a neophyte. There are men who are much better at it then I am, and I will often seek their counsel, and defer to their superior understanding. But learning is a life-long process. It is never too late to learn something new.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No? Okay, you just thought you were right and genuine experts were wrong. Does that sound more like it? Then you questioned my integrity, intimating to the mods that I was a liar about who I am and what I do. Never apologized for that, did you?
    Here's the thing. Unless you know what you are looking for, your word searches are next to useless. Semantics (the study of meaning) is much more than simply doing a word search.

The unfortunate thing about all of the Bible software and websites out there is that they make sounding like a genuine expert in Bibliology sound easy without the hard work needed to become one. So you can be completely mistaken while using jargon such as "original Greek," "root word," and so forth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I haven't got access to what I said about your posts I reported, I can't directly answer that. I certainly would not have intimated to the mods that you were lying about your qualifications,etc. If I had I think they would have barred me from the forum.

I have got their reply to me which was not a rebuke but stated you are a subject expert. I can't quote here as it was a PM.

9. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my primary use of Strong - as a concordance to see the usage of Greek words in their context in English translation.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you also many times give the Greek word and definition directly from Strongs also.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basic problem with all of the really good biblical software and sites now available to use is that it makes one think that they are really getting into and understanding the Greek, but they are really getting many times information, but not having the means to really understand and use what that means in a proper fashion.a

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it was a PM, but then you directly quoted the PM in the open in that BB thread. In that quoted PM, the moderator revealed my name and place of employment to you, and you then revealed that in the open on the Internet contrary to BB rules. I don't know if its still there. Frankly, I'm not afraid of anyone coming after me, and I don't much hide my identity. But you were unethical and insulting in the PM you posted in the open.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to list one last pet peeve about people wanting to be Bibliology experts. I get really tired of all the comparisons between English versions. Such comparisons really have little meaning to me. When Pidgeon compares his "Eth-Cepher Bible" to standard translations, my thought is, "So what?"

What is important is comparing a Bible version to the original Hebrew and Greek. Now, a genuine expert in Bibliology must have expertise (not just Strong's access) in the original languages.

This does mean that an expert must have grad degrees. It is very rare, but possible, for a person to attain a deep knowledge of the original languages on his or her own. William Pierpont, one of the editors of the Robinson/Pierpont Byzantine Textform Greek NT is an example of that. Also, I have a friend who is a missionary translator and statesman who, though his studied Hebrew in Israel, mostly got his Greek knowledge (which is extensive) through self study.

But frankly, I've seen no one on the Internet (esp. here on the BB) to match this kind of Bibliologist. Folks: be humble in your lack of knowledge, just as the two men I just mentioned were and are humble in their expertise.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My opinion on this would be that far better to have someone who is into prayer, practice what they learned, and using a good english translation, than have someone who is rely upon their "greek and hebrew" expertise, when they really have none!

• Agree Agree x 1