1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How to witness to a Muslim

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by extremebiblereader, Jun 5, 2001.

1. extremebiblereader

extremebiblereader New Member

Just a question. How do you witness to a Muslim?...There are alot of them around here.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rachel, the same way you witness to a non-believer, a Mormon, a Catholic, and a Jehovah's Witness: Tell 'em what the Bible really says.

But before you do, be prepared to be spat upon, ridiculed, and generally "put-down," 'cause if they're just as fanatical about their religion as you are about the truth, YOU will never be able to change their minds.

Just tell 'em what the Bible really says. Then let God do the growin'.

3. extremebiblereader

I see your point...so what is that saying kill them with kindness...or show them the love of Jesus...to the point where they know that there is a Jesus. And pray for them. Someone told me that there are things you are supposed to avoid saying..when you are talking to one..i don't know i was just asking to get my facts straight. :D

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Girl, I've had non-believers who started cussing at me the moment I mentioned Jesus.

My own brother has told me that he doesn't want me talking about the Bible so much when he's around. I told him I couldn't honor that request; his reply was that we wouldn't be spending too many holidays together.

As for killing them with kindness...yep, I believe that's exactly what Paul tells us to do in Romans 12.

5. extremebiblereader

sooner or later they will come around...right...it happened to me.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have witnessed (or tried) to two muslims over the internet in a general religion chat-room. It was ugly.
    Perhaps it was my technique.
    They believe Jesus is only a prophet.
    They became infuriated when I tried to show them from the Christian Scripture that Jesus is more than a prophet and not only our Savior, but God come in the flesh and they blasphemed Him and mocked me.
    They also got enraged when I tried to talk with them about the Trinity (this came out of the deity of Christ discussion - if you can call it a discussion).
    Some one said well... just leave the Word with them and let the Lord deal with their hearts. If I had been with them in person,
    I might have been beaten (or worse) they seemed so angry. Maybe it was me.
    HankD

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Though I prefer to use the Word of God, and do use the Word of God, for it alone can bring a person to salvation; it is always wise to know your enemy. The Islamic Holy Book, the Koran, has much to say about Jesus.
    Did you know that the Koran says about all those that are mentioned in the Koran that:
    1. Jesus was the only one to have been born of a virgin? (Surah 19:19-21; 3:45-47)
    2. Jesus was the only one referred the Spirit of God? (Surah 2:253)
    3. Jesus was the only one referred to as the Word of God?
    4. Jesus was the only one referred to an advocate here and in eternity?
    5. Jesus was the only one to have created? (Surah 3:49)
    6. Jesus was the only one to have raised the dead? (Surah 5:110; 3:48,49)

7. And finally did you realize that of all the men and prophets metioned in the Koran: from Adam, to Noah, to Abraham, to David, to Solomon, to Mohammed; all of them needed sacrifices and forgiveness for their sins, except for Jesus? Surah 19:19 "I bestow on thee a faultless (sinless) son" declares that Jesus Christ alone was sinless, as does 1 Peter 2:22 "Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth."

My personal favorite verse of the Koran is Surah 10:94 "And if thou "Muhammed) art in doubt concerning that which We reveal unto thee, then question those who read the Scripture that was before thee." In other words, Muhammed if you don't understand this Koran that I am dictating to you, then go and ask a Christian or a Jew, those that know the Scriptures, they will explain these things to you!?

Trusting Only in Christ,
    DHK

8. Pastor Steve

Pastor Steve New Member

My next door neighbor is a Muslim. I believe that we are friends. I have on numberous occasions shared the gospel with he and his wife. Usually we begin a discussion and then I try to turn it to the gospel. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

The keys to witnessing to Muslims? Realize that they see all "Christians" as the same. Whether they are fundamentalists, Roman Catholic, Liberal or any other stripe. That is the hardest obstacle. Then realize that it is a slow process and that your lifestyle means much more than what you say. You must love them and prove it with your actions. You cannot fake it. I have found that the best tool for witness is Old Testament stories and accounts. The pictures of Christ in the Old Testament are indespensible. They believe the stories except sometimes the names of the people change, such as Isaac and Ishmael.

I remember one time after sharing with him the meaning behind Abraham offering Isaac and the New Testament meaning of the God providing a sacrifice, my friend stood staring at the wall for a long time, looked me in the eye and said, "If I accept this I will lose my family". He has never been that close again. I am burdened over the fact that my good friend will probably never be with me in heaven. As you read this, pray that God will open the heart of Raza and Fatima. Thanks.

Your servant,
    Pastor Steve

9. Daughter

Daughter New Member

10. MarkandPamela

MarkandPamela New Member

I have had the most heated reaction with Muslims when discussing the diety of Jesus Christ. Take them diractly to Jn 1:1,14, and Phillipians 2. I also make it clear that the Bible teaches there is only one God. Most Muslims are lead to believe that what we might call the "Trinity" is three separate Gods. It's (understandably) hard for them to see how God can manifest Himself in three seperate entities, yet be one God. John 1:1 is a great illustration of this, AND V.14 shows how the Son is God. Cults HATE that passage, but praise God for the truth, amen?

11. the 'I AM' hath sent me

I have been witnessing to muslims on allexperts.com which is a chat board.
    The muslims consider all Christians as Catholic. They believe we are brainwashed by the pope.
    They also believe that our Bible has been manipulated and changed. So when you quote from it, they don't listen.
    But their qur'an says to read the Christian scriptures and learn from them.
    The muslims say how much the BIble contradicts itself and science, but they fail to see that their own quran contradicts itself and the Old Testament.
    You can get them stumped, but for some reason they will not believe, even though you have shown them the 100% truth and they realize it.
    As was already mentioned: answering islam.org is very good in seeing some of the questions they have concerning Christianity and why they don't believe. There is also some websites that have the actual quran on it for us to read. I have read parts of it to get an idea of what they believe, that would help me in my witness.
    If God wills it, and I believe He does, they will be Saved through His Grace by their Faith in Jesus Christ, not as prophet, but Saviour.

God Bless

:D

12. Brad

Brad New Member

So you want to witness to Muslims. I'm not an expert but have had some experience and I think you will find my experience helpful. You must understand what kind of pressure your Muslim friend is under. Read this before you do anything. http://answering-islam.org/BehindVeil/btv1.html

Muslims are afraid of men. Not of God.

You will not convince them useing the Bible as they believe the Bible is corrupt. But this belief is not based upon the Quran or Hadiths (there traditions about Mohammed). See http://www.answering-islam.de/Hahn/integrity.html You must begin with their scriptures if you are going to get them to begin to take the Bible seriously. If you do talk with them they will almost certainly mention that they believe that the Bible has been corrupted. Ask them to prove it from their scriptures Their scriptures teach that God's words cannot be corrupted and the Hadiths in fact say that Mohammed put his hand on the Bible and swore that he believed everything in it. This is a very powerful argument as they almost always say that it was corrupted at the Council of Nicea. Mohammed, however, did not begin preaching until almost 300 years after this. How could it be corrupted and spread throughout the world 300 years before Mohammed in light of what the Quran teaches? Muslims will argue anything, but they will not argue against the Quran. See if you can find some Christian friends in your neighbourhood who can read and write Arabic, (they will prove invaluable).

Also, I recommend that if you haven't got the youth edition of Ravi Zacharius' book "Jesus Among Other Gods" that you get it and read the part about "When Jesus was Silent". This is excellent advice when talking with a Muslim. They will probably forget many of the things you say but they will always remember what kind of person you are.

If they give you a book showing you why the Bible is corrupt ask them to go through the book with you. Have your Bible with you. Suddenly they will be confronted with the fact that they are being lied to. But make sure you know your stuff, this will prove that you are taking their claims seriously and they will also find out just who among their scholars are lying. Questioning is heavily discouraged in Islam. Once they begin to question what they have been taught the battle is already half won.

Be careful. Sura 5:33, 9:29, 123.

Also feel free to use your testimony. Your testimony is proof that if God did become a man and die for us men this message does have the power to turn people from their selfish way of life and to begin to live for God. To the Muslim Jesus death just doesn't make sense. Jesus died on a cross to draw all men unto himself, and it worked at least in one example which you know of, yourself. They can't argue with that.

This is just to help you when they throw the usual at you. http://answering-islam.org/Responses/ see also http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/anschris.html and http://skyfamily.com/4_freedom/1body.html

I'm very busy and don't plan on coming in here often. So write to me at my email address if you need any extra help.

I've written a lot so here are the basic steps:

I don't recommend that you give them any written material until your Muslim friend/s feel comfortable with you. I would simply introduce myself and say that I am a Christian. Treat them kindly and make them feel welcome. I would even go to the mosque with them one day simply to see what it is like. But I wouldn't say anything about religion in the mosque. They are bound to invite you to ask questions. My own method is to simply say that I am not here to ask questions as asking difficult questions can be taken in one of two ways; either as an honest enquiry or as an attack against belief. I tell them that asking difficuilt questions will breed hard feels and that is not my intention, my intention is to be kind to them as this is what Jesus has asked of me.

But don't think it ends there. They act very confident and they generally like reading books like those written by Deedat which are full of hate for the Christian message. Because of this someone at that mosque is bound to tell you that the Bible is corrupt. Don't respond to this (wait until later), never forget the advice given in Ravi's book "Jesus Among Other God's". Wait until you are alone with your friend and tell him that to say the Bible is corrupt is a very serious charge (he would not want someone to say the same of the Quran) and he will have to produce written proof to show that to be the case. Then when you're friend produces a book about the alleged corruption of the Bible go through it with him, have your Bible with you so you can look up the verses in their context. Also have a notepad with you as there will be many things you will have to investigate. Then the next time you meet with your friend you can give him that book about what the Quran and Hadith say about the Bible. Ask him for his opinion of it as it seems to you that the Quran and Hadith say that the Bible is not corrupt.

If your a man don't witness to Muslim women unless you want to end up in serious trouble. I suggest that you witness alone, don't do it with a friend (God is with you). Just you, it will help your friend to relax.

Yours,
    Bradley

13. Guitar Twanging Pastor

Brad...you show a great deal of wisdom and sensitivity in your post...I learned from reading it...thanks! It sure sounds to me like God has blessed you with a gift for evangelism.

Having some limited experience in witnessing to Muslims...I would reiterate everything Brad said, and also add, if at all possible, build a relationship. It's going to take awhile to get through to them. Of course
    there's the one who the Holy Spirit has already been working on, and who has already begun to question...but in most cases it's going to be the love you show them and the relationship you can establish that will cause them to open up.

I've found that "proof texting" anything with a false religion adherent is worthless...the authority of scripture means nothing to them.

I personally like to ask probing questions, and do it in the form of a testimony..."you know, I am a Christian, and the difference between Christianity and every other religions is that it's not a religion, but a relationship...I used to try so hard to follow all the rules, until I realized it would be impossible!

and as with any witnessing...listen to them...try to get them talking and sharing their heart with you...don't dominate or beat them over the head with a Bible. Love them with your eyes...

and most of all...ask the Lord of the Harvest to drop the keys to their heart into your soul at the right moment. You may be really surprised with some of the things that will come out of your mouth!

the G Man

14. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

15. Brad

Brad New Member

16. Anthro

Anthro New Member