1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How valid is preterism?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Gunther, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Gunther

Gunther New Member

I have done a lot of reading on this forum before I started posting. I have noticed in the theology forum and others that preterism is a system that many have embraced. I am wondering how valid the idea is.

One thing I noticed is that some of the more liberal folk have embraced preterism as true. If I remember correctly, this idea was started not that long ago by people who sought to defend Christianity from liberalism. To them, Christ had to come back within a generation in order from him to be telling the truth. So in a way, the preterists see themselves as a defender of truth. What do you all think?

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I think preterism has some good points. I think it goes too far, but it does make some valid points that are usually overlooked or brushed aside, especially in dispensational circles. Partial preterism strikes a great balance, and it's interesting to see it gain wider and wider acceptance on all sides of the en-time viewpoints.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree as a Partial Preterist... We do not say to wait for the church hereafter... We say see the church here and now... The scriptures are a great instuctional book for the here and now in the church here and now... It will also give you glimpses into the hereafter directed to the believer who believes now... Giving assurance to him and others... They WILL be in the hereafter receiving all the blessing of the eternal triumphant church... Who Jesus Christ saved in the here and now to live with him hereafter!... Now does that answer the question you were here after? [​IMG] ... Brother Glen [​IMG]

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My view historicist.

I don't know that I ever met a true preterist until I came to this board.

It seems to require a total rewrite of the NT if you ask Me. And in the end the "gain" is for about 1 or 2 sentences in all of scripture that are considered to be "solved". But having to rewrite the rest of the book would be a problem for me.

In Christ,

Bo