1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Young is Too Young?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Aug 16, 2008.

1. PeterM

PeterM Member

For me, the standard for salvation is the same whether the individual is 7 or 77. They may articulate things differently, but the core truths expressed should be spot on.

That said, I believe we do in fact have a bit of a crisis here... not that we are baptizing too young, but that we are not discipling in our churches. The primary role of parents is to fulfill the GC in their children's lives. After these kids make an honest profession of faith, we turn them over to children's ministries and Student ministries to raise them up. That nearly always brings failure!!!

I have seen stats that nearly 85% of kids raised in Evangelical churches walk away upon graduating High School. That says to me that we have divorced evangelism from disciple-making and many feel like they have to do things over again. I lay the blame for this squarely at the steps of the church.