1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Howard pressures Afghan over Christian

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ben W, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prime Minister John Howard says he is pressuring Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai to intervene in the possible execution of an Afghani citizen who has converted to Christianity.

Mr Howard said he found it deeply concerning Australian troops were fighting to assist a country that would take such action.

"I am filled with disgust about the possibility that somebody could be executed because of their religion," he told reporters in Melbourne.

"It breaks every rule of tolerance.

"I will not drop off this issue, I will not just be content to write a letter and leave it at that.

"I will continue to press very, very strongly. I do feel very deeply about this, particularly because there are Australian soldiers risking their lives to fight the Taliban and we're not fighting the Taliban to allow something like this to happen."

Mr Howard said he had written to President Karzai about the matter.

He told reporters he would raise the matter again when he met with British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Australia, the United States and NATO allies Germany and Italy, all of whom have troops in Afghanistan, have expressed concern at the trial of 41-year-old Abdul Rahman.

Rahman is believed to be the first Christian convert accused in Afghanistan under the strict Islamic Sharia law for refusing to return to Islam.

The case is being seen as a test of democracy and freedom for Afghanistan, where religion retains a tight grip on society four years after the toppling of the Islamic fundamentalist Taliban regime.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060322/2/ybwu.html

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4841334.stm

BBC gives some background as to why Afghans are demanding Abdul Rahman's death: "Under the interpretation of Islamic Sharia law on which Afghanistan's constitution is based, Mr Rahman faces the death penalty unless he reconverts to Islam."

Keep in mind that recently Canada accepted Sharia law as an alternative for Muslims to use instead of Canadian law.

"The Prophet Muhammad has said several times that those who convert from Islam should be killed if they refuse to come back," says Ansarullah Mawlafizada, the trial judge. "Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance, kindness and integrity. That is why we have told him if he regrets what he did, then we will forgive him," he told the BBC News website.

"We will not let anyone interfere with our religious practices," declared cleric Inayatullah at Kabul's Pulakasthy mosque, one of the city's largest. "What Rahman has done is wrong and he must be punished."

"According to Islamic law he should be sentenced to death because God has clearly stated that Christianity is forbidden in our land."

This case could be pivotal -- and Abdul Rahman deserves our prayers.

3. mioque

mioque New Member

4. mima

mima New Member

Oh what a terrible shock the Afghanistan people or Moslems, followers of Mohammed. But wait a minute we had an election. And you can have an election, all we elections you want and the people elected will still be Moslems and the government will still be under Islamic law. The Islamic religion is a hellish, satan inspired religion. And people like President Bush or Billy Graham who say the Islam is a peaceful religion are completely blind by satan.

5. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Rahman has been released due to lack of evidence. If I were him, I would get out of Dodge while the gettin's good.

They could easily renew their efforts to produce more evidence.

6. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Thank you for the correction! I need to follow up better and not miss good news!