1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Humans descended from monkeys

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 1, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    quantumfaith,

You have turned a simple April Fools Joke into a full fledged debate! It was only an April fools joke my goodness.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

My response was to perceived condescension regarding any form of evolution models. I respect and expect that MOST here to hold a VERY different position than myself on the issue, but I don't, like most, appreciate such. And so I linked a very basic article informing against the false idea that humanity evolved from primates. Evidence and science does not say that, rather it says that there is a relationship between humanity and primates back into the distant past.

3. quantumfaith

Webdog, I propose to you the Possibility that the "neshama" is that which instills the imago dei into humanity, making them distinct from creatures having simply the nefesh.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't that require God breathing that into an animal creating man? I can't find any commentary from literary scholars that state the creation account of man should be taken as symbolic or non literal.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible teaches that we were not there and therefore, we do not know how God created everything. The same arguments are posted time again, this is true or the opposite is true.

Darwin's theory has been completely debunked, that is why the current model is called neo-Darwinism. About the only common basic view is godless creation. It just happened.

For those actually interested in learning more about the Bible, why not do a study on the word translated as dust in Genesis 2:7.

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I found this, and yes I find it interesting.

http://goddidntsaythat.com/2011/05/06/what-is-the-dust-of-the-ground-from-which-man-is-formed/

7. quantumfaith

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Quote of the Week: Spurgeon on evolution

The great Baptist preacher Charles Haddon Spurgeon, in his sermon ‘Hideous Discovery’, preached on July 25, 1886, made the following comment on evolution:

‘In its bearing upon religion this vain notion is, however, no theme for mirth, for it is not only deceptive, but it threatens to be mischievous in a high degree. There is not a hair of truth upon this dog from its head to its tail, but it rends and tears the simple ones. In all its bearing upon scriptural truth, the evolution theory is in direct opposition to it. If God’s Word be true, evolution is a lie. I will not mince the matter: this is not the time for soft speaking.’

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. OldRegular

Perhaps they want to work it down to that "primeval ooze from which life sprang!" From dust to mud to ooze and then eureka, LIFE! [​IMG]

#30 OldRegular, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  11. quantumfaith

"For nothing will be impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The linked article was interesting. It certainly showed one person's effort to determine what the Hebrew word "afar" was meant to convey to us. The article concluded "dirt" came closer to the intended message than dust.

How about thinking that afar refers to whatever God has provided for building. If you build with stones mud and straw, you are using "afar." Note if an animal is burned (on an alter) the remains, what had been used to form the animal, are called "afar."

Thus it is consistent with scripture to say man was formed from whatever God used, dirt, or mud, or water, or a primate.

13. OldRegular

Well said considering that God speaks: Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. [Hebrews 11:3]

14. quantumfaith

Why would you think...if you do...that I do not "think" as one having faith? Simply because I do not fall into the same position(s) as my YEC family in Christ?If in fact, God used evolutionary means to create all living things, including humanity, I think of it as wonderfully beautiful and Magnificent revelation of Him.

15. OldRegular

Not really! Scripture tells us that death entered by Adam. Is that correct or is it not? Furthermore a process of survival of the fittest is hardly a
    in my opinion. Theistic evolution present a picture of God who had to try, try, and try again before He was able to craft a human in His own image. It is completely contrary to the nature of God as revealed in Scripture. I posted Scripture and questions earlier that apparently warranted no response!

16. quantumfaith

I agree that death (separation from God) came through Adam. I do NOT agree with the view that theistic evolution in form requires "natural selection". I do not either, worship a God who has to try over and over again to "get it right". And certainly you know, "I think" you are going out on a limb if one holds to the fall as the immediate cause of physical death in humanity. Surely we see from scripture that this does not in fact occur. I know you do not "appreciate" Biologos, but the following is a good article.

http://biologos.org/questions/death-before-the-fall

#36 quantumfaith, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Romans 1:16-25 begin in chapter 3 of Genesis?

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Is that when God?

Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Romans 1:24

These created in his image.

18. OldRegular

19. quantumfaith

20. OldRegular

You say that God uses the evolutionary process to bring a creature to a certain state and then God decides to implant a soul {your post #14}. The immediate progenitors of Adam, and likewise a set of immediate progenitors for Eve, would presumably have all the characteristics of Adam including his intellect. So we have a population of these creatures intellectually equivalent to Adam and Eve consigned to the same death as an animal. Is this consistent with what is revealed about the nature of God. {I would note at this point that in my opinion the intellect of Adam, not the knowledge, was superior to that of Adam's progeny who through time suffer from the affects of the fall.}