1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hundreds of VA officials fired since Trump's inauguration

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Rob_BW, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Department of Veterans Affairs announced today that more than 500 officials have been fired for misconduct since President Trump took office earlier this year, according to data posted online.

In an effort for more transparency and accountability within the VA, Secretary of Veterans Affairs David J. Shulkin announced that a public list of employee "accountability actions" will be posted online and updated weekly.

The list outlines a total of 747 disciplinary actions including 526 employees who were fired since January 20. The actions affected a myriad of positons ranging from a tractor operator to VA attorneys.The list does not include employee names due to privacy reasons but does note the employee's position and VA region.

Hundreds of VA officials fired since Trump's inauguration

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good. Probably need to fire a few thousand more

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They knew what was coming or at least should have suspected.

HankD

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Promise kept by Trump.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The waste, fraud and abuse in government permeates every department. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Holding people accountable has not really been a part of bureaucratic management in recent history.

The whole barrel is rotten. The amorality of our country shows up at every level.

It is long past time to repent and turn to God for deliverance.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both my husband and I are eligible to use the VA for health care and other programs. The care was appalling. The facilities are filthy.

On the good side, they paid for my graduate degree to include even the minutia of pencils. We used a VA loan to purchase our home.

It's hit or miss. I'm thankful that God has blessed us with other healthcare.

Trump is correct, they need to clean house, AGAIN AND AGAIN.

7. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just hate it that the media does not report the good stuff. Only the bad. As really Trump it is about right from wrong. The media ignores the facts.

Good for him as my father is a former Air Force vet, late grandfather on my maternal side fought in WWII in the Philippines the Greatest Generation, and two nephews in the Air Force.

Vets are ignored these days. As really the need a new leash on life. When they come on home.

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems like the new VA Secretary is a worker, not just some political appointee resting on his laurels.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I've said before, I thank God He's allowed me to miss the VA nightmares many have experienced. I get my medical care through the San Franciso VA system based at Fort Miley.

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a system with 350K employees, there will definitely be patches or good and bad. Around here, Durham and Asheville are known for good VA hospitals, while Fayetteville and Columbia are known for bad ones.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live here in the Seattle area and though I am a Vietnam era veteran I saw no combat with no military related disability.

My wife and I together make too much money and I am therefore ineligible (yet).

However one of my friends (Vietnam combat veteran) who had cancer was treated very well until the day he died.

He spoke highly of his doctors nurses and technicians.

Whatever the VA could not provide he received from outside sources - e.g. gamma gun treatment at Tacoma, WA.

HankD

12. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My Dad was treated very well at the VA. Alot of guy's were not so fortunate.
    There was a very big upside to it all- many of us kept pressuring the VA until
    those other vets got the medical treatment they deserved. You'd be suprised
    how alot of letters (back then) and threats of legal action after we hired legal
    counsel did the trick. But the trick is to find an attorney who happens to be a
    veteran. They tend to take it personally.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a paramedic, I used to make a little extra money by doing non-emergency ambulance runs for a small private company. Had to go to the VA in Philadelphia and in Wilmington, De.

I wouldn't take my dog to those places. It was like being in a dystopian movie.

They were dirty, they smelled bad, patients were lined up in the hallways.

It was as if we weren't in America anymore, but had been transported to 1970s era Moscow.

There was a show on the Blaze Network a while back with Marcus Luttrell and some other veterans. One was an amputee and told how the VA demanded that he "prove" he lost his leg.

I don't praise Trump very often, but this was the right move. It was a good start. A voucher program so our vets can receive better care elsewhere at a lower cost would be better, but this was a good start.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never had any dealings with the VA until recently. Finally applied for benefits for various ailments, some of which are on the list of Agent Orange related problems. I was awarded partial disability for tinnitus and hearing loss than has been getting worse all the time for the last 40 years. A hearing test and exam by an audiologist was all it took. The process went fairly quickly once they started actully working the claim. It took about 8 months for them to get started. That's too long for someone with a serious ailment. Other issues are still being looked at.

I should have done this years ago.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for being willing to die for your country carpro. I've prayed you will get your health benefits quickly.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've had a similar experience with the military as a whole, except maybe the VA part (they paid for my undergraduate and graduate degrees, I've used a VA secured loan, MWR, ect.). I've had excellent care through the VA (sometimes surpassing the care I've received in the civilian sector). The issue for me has been the wait. I can get in to see a doctor but anything beyond routine they suggest I use Tricare because of the wait. Our VA is not dirty, but it is dated. And since I do have Tricare, I usually opt for that route.

With the government there is a need to consistently evaluate the performance of its workers. It seems may see the VA (and other entities) as a "cash cow".