1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hurricane Rita

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Bro. James Reed, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

It is not looking good for those of us on the Texas coast.

I am about 60 miles from the Gulf and 45 miles from Galveston Bay.

They are predicting at least Cat. 4 status, 140 mph winds, by landfall sometime early Saturday morning. Galveston county has mandatory evacuations beginning at 6pm tomorrow.

I am planning to stay for the time being, but that could change.

Please be praying for us. This is a Katrina-type storm hitting an area with about 4 times the size, population-wise, of the New Orleans area.

We have not been hit by a major hurricane in 22 years, so we don't quite know what will happen with all of the new development since then.

Hopefully, I will be able to check in every once in a while, provided I do not lose power for a long while.

My church backs up to a bayou, so it is almost a guarantee that it will be flooded if the hurricane stays on track.

I hope to do some more prep work on the house and the church in the coming days, but I'll have to wait and see what work says. I hope they let us off so we can take care of things at home.

Lord, be with us.

Bro. James

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother

I went through Beulah, and I do not envy you.

You are far enough inland to miss most of the severe winds, but it sounds like you are on the bad side of the storm ...

Our prayers are with you.

3. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

I pray the Lord will give you discernment on how
    long to stay and when to go.

As for work I pray they are wise enough to do the
    right thing and let you take care of your family,
    home and chruch.

Sincerely
    Aslanspal

Hey! Rita! don't mess with Texas!
    (from native)

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Will pray, they said on the news here that things are not looking good with the storm for New Orleans either.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

You are in my prayers.

I have a friend who is a scientist who knows this stuff and he said that your area will get a hard hit from winds, but that it won't be like New Orleans because you aren't sitting in the bottom of a bowl like they are. Expect some massive flooding though.

6. kubel

kubel New Member

Well... Rita just went up to a Category 5, and is stronger than Katrina was (but it's estimated it will weaken by the time it reaches the coast).

But it seems like the government is on top of things this time around. You and your church will be in our prayers.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

People need to be concerned about the heat too. It is now after 5 PM on Wednesday, and the temp is still 100 degrees F in Houston. If power is down for days, the heat and humidity after the storm could claim lives.

My parents are in Houston and in their 70s. I advised them, and will advise others in the path to freeze lots of ice while you have power, and buy some as well. It could be what keeps you cool in the aftermath of the storm. The temperatures are expected to go back up to the century mark after Rita passes.

After Alicia, we had no power for 2 weeks, and used a camping stove to sterilize baby bottles. May be a good idea to get fuel or propane for any camp stoves you may have. Just be careful of carbon monoxide poisoning, so use them outdoors only.

My prayers are with all of you in the path of this monster storm.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Bro. James Reed

As a native of Louisiana---I've survived the best of um, also---beginning w/Betsy---all the way through Andrew & Katrina---w/Katrina we recorded wind gusts of 116 mph 250 miles inland here in Wesson, MS---many trees still standing---but some stand leaveless----its weird!!!!

Water surge is probably the most dangerous part of the storm---where you are---65 miles inland should be alright from any surge.

Hang in there!!!

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Thanks. We are out of here is a couple of hours, going to our son's house in Navasota.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Check in with us soon as you can, Bro. Terry---be careful!!!!

11. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Hurricane Rita becomes third most intense storm on record, according to National Hurricane Center figures.

[​IMG]

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I just got in from work...I left at 6pm.

Traffic was absolutely a mess with evacuees. They have many of the exits and entrances to the freeways closed.

I have staked down the small trees in front of the house. We are going to begin boarding up tomorrow morning.

Work told us at 2pm today that we would be open until 2pm tomorrow. They then went around asking people if they would be in tomorrow. Only 6 people in our department, out of roughly 60, said they would be in. They then came back at 5:30pm and told us that they would be closed tomorrow, so that is good.

I guess we're just going to do what we can to get ready and pray for the best.

Thank you all for your prayers. I sincerely believe they will help keep us safe.

More later.

James

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother James

I do not know what kind of business you are in, but I pray that the Holy Spirit will break down the cold hearts of your bosses.

They should have closed today and sent employees home to take care of their families (IMHO).

I have and will continue to pray for you.

In Him

Wayne

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

JGrubbs

I hope that is the 3d largest for the gulf.

Wayne

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The third most intense(so far) in the Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did I. I was in the sixth grade. We got flooded out in Sinton and had three feet of the water in our house.

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

mmm... I was in Brownsville

Graduated from Taft

Small world

PS you should have been in brownsville for beulah

What a party!

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I finished up my last two years of high school at Bay City but I am still a Sinton Pirate at heart. Glad to meet a Taft Greyhound on this board. [​IMG]

For those who don't know, Sinton and Taft are only about nine miles apart.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And Taft had the better football team!

;)

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist