1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hurricanes and a Mass Shooting, Questions, Answers, Applications

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Corbett, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Harvey, one of the biggest hurricanes in recent history reeks havoc in one of the the biggest urban areas of our nation. The water has barely receded when Irma tears across the Caribbean and up Florida. And then Maria comes and devastates Puerto Rico. And while relief efforts for three truly massive hurricanes are just getting started, our nation is hit with another type of disaster: the biggest mass murder shooting in our history.

All of this raises a lot of questions. If these questions drive us to God’s Word, that’s a good thing. In the Bible we won’t find quick, easy answers for all our questions, but we will find deep, timeless truths that relate to our questions. We can also find practical applications that should change how we live.

Question #1: Where was God?

Answer from God’s Word:

NIV Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.

NIV Psalm 34:18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Based on God’s Word, I believe I know where our Lord was during the disasters. He was with every family huddled on a roof near Houston. He was holding every child hiding with her family as the winds destroyed in the Caribbean. Christ was with the concertgoers crouching on the ground in Las Vegas. And He is with them in hospital rooms today.

Application:

I believe God’s Word that He is with those who are suffering. But how do they experience His presence? God very often works through people. Consider this quote from a police officer who helped to save a brave concertgoer who got shot while working to rescue others:

"Through this tragedy I remember, nobody suffered alone. When people were dying there was somebody there who was holding their hands or holding them in their arms, comforting them," McGrath said (from a CNN article).​

Most of us (hopefully) will never be present during an event as horrific as the Las Vegas shootings. But there are people all around us who are suffering personal tragedies. With God’s help and strength, let us resolve to do all we can to ensure that our neighbors do not suffer alone.

Question #2: How is God affected by these events?

Answer from God’s Word:

CSB Isaiah 63:9 In all their suffering, He suffered, and the Angel of His Presence saved them. He redeemed them because of His love and compassion; He lifted them up and carried them all the days of the past.

You may also read Matthew 25:40 and Acts 9:4.

At first it might seem hard to imagine God actually suffering. After all, no bullet or hurricane could ever harm Him. But as a parent, I think we can understand how God’s suffering works. Any parent would rather be hit than see their child be hit. And God loves us even more than good parents love their children. So He really does suffer in all our suffering.

Application:

God calls us to “mourn with those who mourn” (Romans 12:15). One way we can minister to people is to really listen to them and then pray with them. It’s not only those who have been through a hurricane or a mass shooting who need someone to listen and pray with them.

Question #3: What is God doing now?

Answer from God’s Word:

NIV Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

The hurricanes and the shooting were evil. Yet God is using even these terrible events for the good of those who love him.

God can use even the most terrible events for good purposes. As terrible as the hurricanes and mass shooting are, they still pale in comparison to the earthquake and tsunami which occurred in the Indian Ocean on December 26, 2004. It is estimated that over 200,000 people were killed by that disaster. Yet God brought good out of it.

I was living in Indonesia (the hardest hit nation) at the time of the tsunami, but I was not near the area where the tsunami hit. Months before the tsunami, many Christians were gathering and praying for God to open doors for the gospel in the Indonesian province of Aceh. It was considered at that time to be the part of Indonesia most closed to the gospel or any type of Christian ministry.

After the tsunami, Aceh went from being the most closed to the most open part of Indonesia as the doors were flung open for many thousands of relief workers. Many of those relief workers came with the love of Christ in their hearts.

I would not say that God sent a tsunami to answer our prayers and open Aceh. I would say that whatever reasons God had for allowing the tsunami, once it had occurred He used it to answer prayers and open doors and hearts to the love of Christ.

Application: Pray that God will bring much good out of the recent tragedies.

Question #4: Why Texas, the Caribbean, and Las Vegas?

Answer from God’s Word:

NIV Luke 13:1 Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices.
    2 Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way?
    3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.
    4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them-- do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

We must not think that Houston, the Caribbean, or Las Vegas deserved some kind of judgment that we don’t. Wherever we live, if God were to judge our area according to our sins, it would be a lot worse than any of these recent disasters.

Application:

Every person has sinned and every person needs to repent. The good news is that when people do repent and trust in Jesus, their sins are truly forgiven. Let’s keep sharing this good news.

Question #5: Am I safe?

Answer from God’s Word:

NIV Luke 21:16 You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death.
    17 Everyone will hate you because of me.
    18 But not a hair of your head will perish.

In Luke 21:16 Jesus says some of His dsiciples will be put to death, then in verse 18 he says “not a hair of your head will perish”. Is He contradicting himself? No. Jesus means that even though you might die not a hair of your head will perish. God doesn’t promise us that we will not suffer in this life. He promises us something better. If we are in Christ, none of the suffering in this life will harm us. In the end it will all turn out for our good.

NIV Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

Application: Be bold and courageous for Christ and the gospel. You don’t have to be afraid of anything in this world.

Question #6: These answers and promises from God’s Word sound great, but how can I know they are true?

Answer from God’s Word:

NIV Revelation 4:11 "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."

When we look up at the stars, or watch the sun rise, or stand on the beach before the mighty ocean, we are reminded that God made all this. He is very powerful. He is able to keep His promises.

But sometimes we are tempted to doubt God’s love rather than His power. It’s easy for Him to say He suffers with us. Why doesn’t He come down here and actually suffer? Why doesn’t He allow Himself to be hurt? Why doesn’t He let us nail Him to a cross? That would prove His love . . .

CSB Romans 5:8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!

Application: Believe God. Trust Him. Even in disasters. Especially in disasters.

This is a shortened version of a post on my blog.

2. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are some ways you think God is using these recent tragedies for good?

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before and during the plagues of Egypt, the heart of the pharaoh was hardened. The cause was the ultimate delivery of His people.

Is there a similar occurrence taking place?

The heart of this nation and all others in the world is not that of repenting and bowing to God, but to the god of inconvenience, griping, discontent, anger, malevolence, ...

Even through that, the God of heaven is displaying His authority. He will ultimately deliver His children.

He is allowing what the people deserve, because of the abundance of sinfullness irregardless of His warning in Scriptures.

Does not the Scriptures state, “...for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” Matthew 5