1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I am an SBC Member Who Wants to Teach a Biblical Way of Doing Prophecy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose needed for it now has gone away...

2. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is mute since I now realize I had a false prophetic gift as explained in my last post before this one.

As for my experiences with God that led to my salvation, they typically involved perfect predictions of the future. However, I see this is not a prophetic gift that carried over into my salvation but God loving on me unto salvation. I have heard similarly powerful testimonies in church history and out of the Voice of the Martyrs.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is much better to remain in the discussion. We don't learn if we are not willing to listen to what others have to say. :)

Well, I am old but I am not that old. The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was a sin committed by those who saw Jesus, in the flesh during His earthly ministry, do a miracle through the power of the Holy Spirit, then attribute that power to Satan. As I was born long after Christ ascended into Heaven, I never saw Him, in the flesh during His earthly ministry, do any miracles.

I am glad you have decided to reexamine your "gift of prophecy." I will pray that God will lead you into the truth.

One point I would like to reiterate. 1 Corinthians 13:13. "Now abides faith, hope, and love, these three." If the gifts of tongues, prophecy, and knowledge were still being given to new converts when Paul penned those words, then Paul lied. And if Paul lied about that then how can we trust the rest of his writings which make up about 1/3 of the New Testament.

I don't believe Paul lied or that the bible is wrong. I believe every word is inspired, from cover to cover (and even the cover - where it says "Holy Bible"). :)

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not always appear to be as gentle as we ought to be, but we respond out of a genuine concern for your spiritual growth and development.

It is often difficult, in this type of forum, to discern the person's intent. We can't hear the tone of voice or see the concern in their faces, so we sometimes feel attacked. I try to use smiley faces to communicate, in a small way, that I am not being mean :mad: or mocking you :rolleyes: but, rather, respond out of a genuine concern for your spiritual well being. :):Thumbsup

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome Steve :)
    You ask for advice "to teach a biblical way of doing prophecy" which is a little bit foreign to the way a Baptist would say you want to deliver prophetic messages (which is my presumption).

Study the prophets, the apostles and of course Jesus messages concerning their "prophecies" (presumably of "end time" events or "last things").

There is nothing more that can be said than that which has already been said in the word of God concerning these "end times". So, your job would be to proclaim the written word of God and your view of prophetic events and their unfolding.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems to be a kind of charasmatic rebuke"Do not judge the Lords Annoited"
    My biggest concern on is is tht th we need to make sure that we all agree that the prophectic word in the Bible are always 100%. and no real need to seek outside guidance in prophecy today!

#26 Yeshua1, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by "prophetic gift", for the one given by God in Acts allowed the person to tell the future and to give forth revelation from God, are you claiming same now?

#27 Yeshua1, Feb 15, 2017
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could we take this in a slightly different direction?
    Normally when we think of someone who is a prophet - we think of an individual
    who will tell us what the future holds.

Rather, does a prophet also have the gift of informing someone who is in sin?
    Lets face it some folks would have trouble telling their friend that their shoes are
    untied, as it could be embarrassing.
    Other are not afraid to speak out on the specific sin of an individual - of course
    it must be done with a bit of tact as well.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would tend to see the Prophetic gift for today as God gifting one to be able to apply the prophecies in te Bible towards specific situtions, be able to apply that to current events and such....

10. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have said spirit of false prophecy. I have been having experiences of being a Medium where spirits will talk through me claiming to be the Holy Spirit or demons. They will then give me prophecy or try and trick me into accepting false prophecy and leave. I would try to test the spirits, but this has turned out to be a form demonic oppression as far as I can tell. Of course, in light of the discussion at this board I now realize that this is clearly of the devil for no son of the Father would ever have demons speak through him as part of giving prophecy. I see this has been of the devil duh.

My biggest concern is that being a Medium for demonic spirits in any way means that I am not saved. Even though I confess that Jesus is Lord and believe that He rose from the dead from what I believe to be my heart.

As for a prophetic gift working today I see that as problematic in that it needs to be accurate and abide by the bible, but I know of no one who has such a ministry today.

I know God still talks to people and gives predictions of the future, but this is found in church history and seems to be on very rare occassions in a person's life, and lacks a pattern in any individual life that would make that person a prophet with prophecy as in the early church.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to throw out another suggestion.

Have you seen a mental health professional?

I'm not saying this to be rude, but you have some warning signs that make me wonder.

(I have a mental illness, FYI.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a mental illness and I see therapy regularly and am medicated. However, from talking to my LMHC therapist about stuff like this fairly regularly, stuff like this usually falls outside the purview of mental health and into the realm of religion as it isn't neatly categorized as mental health symptoms. Being a medium for what would be my voices in mental health, but which can communicate to me in a two way conversation using me as a medium is definitely not a normal mental health symptom for instance.

There is also the issue that such voices claim to be the Holy Spirit giving prophecy or demons trying to trick me and their "act" never really breaks.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a decent amount of political correctness in psychology and psychiatry when it comes to religious delusions and hallucinations. Generally, if the symptom could be interpreted within a religious group, practitioners are reticent to identify something.

I would disagree with your therapist (if he/she stated this) that a two-way conversation with a medium is not a "normal mental health symptom." That could quite easily fall within the definition of auditory hallucination. It may be an atypical form of it, but I don't see how it wouldn't match the criteria.

It sounds like the "demons" are giving command hallucinations but not the "Holy Spirit."

Just my two cents.

Who manages your medication? A psychiatrist or a GP?

14. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also I have talked to my LMHC therapist about all of my actual encounters with God that led me to salvation and he agreed readily that such encounters seem to not be within the purview of mental health and instead to be in the world of religion.

Here I think many people might think charismatics are lying, mentally ill, or just confused when they say they have revelation. However, the reality seems to be different from what I have observed while inside the International House of Prayer movement and while obedient to a spirit of false prophecy. Real revelation does come on a number of occasions but I am becoming of the opinion that the source seems to be squarely satanic in many cases, even as the prophetic ministers express a desire to follow Jesus Christ. I say satanic revelation because there is a revelatory incident that seems to be occurring, but the fruit of such revelation does not seem to be good according to a strict interpretation of the bible.

15. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My medication is handled by a psychiatrist and I am am one of the most stable people I know in treatment from among my mentally ill friends. I am also on a maximum dose of various types of medication including antipsychotics according to my psychiatrist and we have nowhere further to climb.

Also, StefanM what is your understanding of how a medium works? Because what I am saying is that my body is literally taken over against my will and is forced to do and say things like a rag doll that have not come to mind. I thought that the Holy Spirit was talking through me by doing this but instead this is clearly a satanic manifestation.

Also, for further discussion, I am not a prophet. I have repented of my false prophecy.

As for my encounters with God that led to salvation, those almost always included perfect predictions of the future or miraculous deliverance from death.

-EDIT-

StefanM, I want to thank you for your concern for me. I did explode at you a bit. To be honest you touched a nerve, and I got defensive. I am sorry for that. The issue is that I have been talking this out with mental health professionals for a very long time in very deep detail, and so far my view of things is the one I will defend with the bible against secularism if that makes any sense.

#35 Steven Yeadon, Feb 15, 2017
  16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need for an apology. I didn't interpret your response negatively.

The medium thing? I'd have to answer theoretically--a spiritual entity making contact with another entity through another person (the medium, hence the name). Practically speaking, I tend to think a person in that situation is either a fraud or someone deluded (possibly in terms of a mental illness).

I know that probably puts us on opposite sides of the fence, but I'm a liberal who expects disagreement on here.

17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It also tells us that we're to stone you to death if you get it wrong

There is no extra-Biblical revelation

18. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

Let's suppose someone does have the gift of prophesy, extra-biblical revelation in the age we have a complete Bible. Why does such a person need to declare his gift? He could just use it to empower his ministry without ever putting others in the position of needing to judge the legitimacy of his gift.

Show your gift of prophesy through a display of sound biblical doctrine and solid wisdom about current events. Don't show it by declaring "God told me this in a vision ..." Because if it's the latter, you're a fraud trying to sell yourself with a label rather than with substance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't really believe in a gift of prophecy anymore that would make one a prophet, but I would add that I know plenty of stories of people receiving revelation from God at some point in their lives that changed them forever afterwards as it worked itself out, often times being to their salvation.

JohnDeereFan and Baptist Brother do you allow for this in your theology?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would be advised to turn away fully from any Occultic activity, as that woul allow Satan an entry way into your life, and just keep studying and learnin of thr Bible, as that woul be the one sure guide for today!

• Agree Agree x 1