1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am clean (from your blood)

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Pastor_Bob, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
    5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.
    6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles
    . (KJV)

Why could Paul say that he was clean from the blood of these Jews at Corinth?

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better translation is innocent or guiltless. He had done his job and he was not at fault for their rejection.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Great topic Pastor Bob,

I believe Paul was moved by the Spirit of God to take the position of the watchman in Ezekiel 33:1-11.
    He loved his fellow kinsmen according to the flesh, yet having fully preached the cross, and the Saviour of sinners, he knowing the results belong to God, He was driven to be used of God to find more of the lost sheep.

Paul knew God was in complete control of who and how they were going to be saved. He knew that God uses the sanctified means of grace, saved sheep, saved pastors, proclaiming truth.
    He knew also that all men everywhere are commanded to repent and believe the gospel.
    He was eager to keep moving as God had much people in The city Acts 18:9,10.
    We are to follow his example. We can fully believe in election and predestination to understand that every person we interact with is by Divine appointment. God told Paul He had...much people in the city...not everyone, but much people.
    I do not have to know who God has chosen. We are to go to all men most all the time. We can be confident that God will reward the obedience by letting us share in the harvesting of souls.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps because their blood was dirty, meaning Paul was relaying that they were not specially privileged to be saved because of their pedigree/blood/being pre-chosen - thinking they were Abraham's children by pedigree. Paul was clean being washed in the blood of Christ not that of being a Jew – the only blood that can save through faith…the Jews at Corinth STILL had the wrong object of faith, so Paul was off to give that message to the Gentiles that Christ’s blood was available to them.

5. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll stick to "clean," thank you.

Was their rejection not an exercising of their free will?

6. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for this answer, Brother. Your replies are thought-provoking. Tomorrow I hope to have time to respond.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

Yes it was, why?

8. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good evening, Bob.

I like what Matthew Henry had to say about this passage, "He had done his part, and was clean from the blood of their souls; he had, like a faithful watchman, given them warning, and thereby had delivered his soul,though he could not prevail to deliver theirs. He had tried all methods to work upon them, but all in vain, so that if they perish in their unbelief their blood is not to be required at his hands; here, and ch. 20:26 , he plainly refers to Eze. 33:8, Eze. 33:9 . It is very comfortable to a minister to have the testimony of his conscience for him, that he has faithfully discharged his trust by warning sinners."

The minister of the gospel cannot see all ends. After all, we see in a mirror dimly. Paul had done his part as a faithful minister of the gospel to proclaim the truth to the Jews in Corinth. Their refusal to accept the truth, as well as their blasphemy, showed the hardness of their heart and Paul would have no more of them. He went to a people that God prepared to hear and respond to the truth, the Gentiles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Although we differ on some things, I am sure when you go visit the sick, or at the nursing home, you are focused on the Great Commission. One way or another you are going to focus on sin, and the blood as the only remedy. We agree on this.
    i was in Arkansas last week but more by pine bluff and west memphis..we will fellowship sometime Lord willing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...the blood that was to be required from the Jews due to their own bloodguilt:

40 And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation. Acts 2

23 And it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people. Acts 3

1 Now there were some present at that very season who told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
    2 And he answered and said unto them, Think ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they have suffered these things?
    3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all in like manner perish.
    4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and killed them, think ye that they were offenders above all the men that dwell in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Lu 13

4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come forth, my people, out of her, that ye have no fellowship with her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues:
    5 for her sins have reached even unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
    24 And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all that have been slain upon the earth. Rev 18

35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar.
    36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. Mt 23

#10 kyredneck, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  11. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are similar responses so I will comment on both of them together. Thank you, gentlemen for your teaching spirit. I do, however, have some issues with this approach.

First, I whole-heartedly agree with Matthew Henry's comments. Secondly, both of you brothers allude to the belief that Paul could not determine who is and who is not part of the elect and so he was obligated to preach the gospel to all men.

One of the biggest issues I have with reformed theology is that is seems to be circular in its reasoning. If Paul preached to these Jews and some of them believed and put their faith in God, then that is the indicator that they were one of the elect. Since these Jews in this passage rejected his preaching, they were obviously not part of the elect. So Paul took his message elsewhere to once again preach to a group of people who may or may not be a part of the elect, but he has no way of knowing until they either believe or reject.

To me, that seems too convenient. Paul seems to be far more aggressive in his preaching and reasoning with the Jews and the Gentiles than just to put the message out there and see who happens to take it. He pleads with them and begs them to accept Christ. To me, this doesn't at all reconcile with unconditional election and irresistible grace.

Friends, I'm not at all trying to mischaracterize your positions, simply explaining it as it appears to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Following the instructions given to the apostles:

14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, as ye go forth out of that house or that city, shake off the dust of your feet.
    15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city. Mt 10

6 And when they opposed themselves and blasphemed, he shook out his raiment and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles. Acts 18

50 But the Jews urged on the devout women of honorable estate, and the chief men of the city, and stirred up a persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and cast them out of their borders.
    51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium. Acts 13

#12 kyredneck, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019