1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Am Kerflumoxed! (Don't know what to feel.)

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by John of Japan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I now understand why God never called me to serve in Japan. I can imagine how frustrating that must have been your first tour of duty after coming from a background and a family that was direct in their pronouncements (and I mean that in the best way).

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not kidding! After language school we moved to Yokohama to start a church. It was not long after that that I went into a depression. If I had seen a doctor he probably would have put me on pills! I was completely out of my depth. There we were in a city of 3 million with only one other IFB church, and I didn't know what I was doing.

I loved the language and the people and the culture, but had no idea how to reach the people or start a church. I began going to the park and reading the Bible, praying and reading Torrey's book on the Holy Spirit. Praise God He took me through that--to my wife's great relief! We then began to see folk saved and baptized, and God used us there. :godisgood:

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On Saturday evening while I was out on street evangelism, Mrs. K. brought over a potted plant for my wife. In Japan giving a gift at this time is an indication of friendship and solidarity. Oh yes, and on street evangelism I got to give tracts to a bunch of pro sumo wrestlers--really!

Last night after church we had a very good talk with Mr. and Mrs. K., and I believe straightened things out and strengthened the friendship. It was good to hear their side of the matter and to share some things pertinent to the "Family Baptism Incident" that they didn't know.

One fact came out in the discussion that was very important. It seems that the U. family are now up to an old trick--checking out other churches. They have done this several times over the years they've been coming to our church. Mrs. U. doesn't feel her kids are happy enough at our church, in spite of all my efforts at Sunday School, a free self defense class, etc. So far they have eliminated about five churches in our general area as being unsuitable, and have always come back to ours. (Long, long story.)

At any rate, Mr. and Mrs. U. wanted to be baptized but didn't want to become members of any church at this time. Thus, they called Mr. K. instead of me. (At least Mr. K. informed us right away, though it was after the fact. :( ) So until the Mr. and Mrs. U. decide they want to join our church, there is nothing else I can do but pray and rest in God's plan for our church. We know that all of this is working together for good, as God promised in His word.

I'll probably not post back here unless someone has more questions about ministering in Japan. Many thanks to all who read this thread, prayed for us and offered friendly counsel. :wavey:

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Praise the Lord, John. I have been praying. God always gets the glory in the end if we will just let Him lead us.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been praying also.

A sad note... it seems that despite the cultural differences, church shopping happens in all cultures. The idea of "I want a church for ME" is firmly planted in our old nature. :tear:

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks so much for the prayers, Mexdeaf and Tom!