1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Am Resolved.....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Dec 31, 2017.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks
    I don’t understand the question. Are you suggesting this sight is absurd?

#21 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what you are talking about. :(

I have made no "law". I can't believe, however, that you can't see the benefits of daily Bible reading. You've called what I've described as a "binding". I have bound no one into a legalistic and forced daily Bible reading.

Yes, I am aware that many own no Bible, that some cannot read, that many have no teacher, and that some only have bits and pieces in their own language. We have a member here on the BB who spent over 30 years in Japan translating for those people.

For those of us who have one - or quite frankly, have several - I will repeat, we SHOULD read it every day. We don't HAVE TO. We can let it lay on the bottom of our closet and collect dust. We can read it occasionally and superficially. We can take it to church and read it only when the preacher does.

We who have access to Bibles can do with them what we choose. We can surf Bible message boards online and only argue about it incessantly for decades.

But the Bible is clear. The reading and studying of it is essential. And to "meditate day and night" as the psalmist said over and over ..... the more reading that studying, the better.

The ideal is every day and with the purpose of allowing God to wash us with the Word and Ephesians says.

Not everyone has the ideal life nor Bible study availability, but for those who do, to ignore that blessing is fruitless.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett, I see that you've met thatbrian. His particular 'gift' is misidentifiying what other people believe or erroneously attributing beliefs to them and then tearing down these so-called beliefs. It's what he does. Just a friendly heads-up.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dd not say that reading the Bible was not a great and wonderful thing - a privilege.

You did create a law when you said, "should". There is no biblical backing for that statement.

If you think that daily Bible study is a good idea, say that. If you think it's been very helpful to you, say that. Just don't make your preference a measure of what all Christians "Should" do.

That's my point, and I'm sorry if you can't see how harmful your words can be, but I would urge you to think about this a bit. Hopefully, you will understand my point.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, "should" is establishing a law? In light of passages such as Psa. 119:11and Mat. 4:4 we can see the value of knowing God's word. In church history, we had the tyrannical rule of the papacy which forbade people from reading the Word for themselves. The Word was only to be read by a professional clergy with interpretation left to Rome itself. I am no longer a preaching elder, but when I was I would challenge the congregation to read the Word. Not reading the Word is not a sin, but ignorance of the Word almost always leads to sin. So, yes, Christians should read the Word. They should read it, study it, and apply it. For the purpose of this post the word "read" can be substituted with the word "hear". We hear the Word on the Lord's day. If I said, "I command you to read the Word" then I am crossing a line and binding one's conscience. I think it is best to take Scarlett's comments with charitable license; understanding the thought behind her words.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, I see what kind of conversation this is.

Adieu. C'est la vie.

7. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saying that all Christians "should". . . regarding food, drink, practice, which are not prescribed or forbidden is indeed adding to what God has commanded. "Should" implies obligation, i.e., law.

As I've already stated, which you apparently both have passed right over, Bible reading is good. It's great! Prescribing limits that all Christians "should" match in this regard is a problem.

8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many uses for "should". One use is as an auxiliary function to express a request in a polite manner or to soften a direct statement (Merriam-Webster). I am being charitable in my reading of the word. Apparently, I do not see what you see.

9. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My dictionary's first line: Should: Used to express obligation or duty.

In light of her entire post and follow-ups, I see no other way to read it. And, I tried to nudge her to clarify with my reference to Abraham living in harmony with God prior to any written word. She doubled down, so my understanding of her intent was evidently correct.

This extrabiblical test of orthodoxy, at best, creates two classes of believers. The super spiritual who do, and the not-so-committed folks who don't. At worst, it inflicts immeasurable damage upon the sensitive of conscience.

I don't expect the average pietistic evangelical to understand what the problem is here, but I am surprised that a Reformed believer wouldn't.

#29 thatbrian, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it is because I looked past the construction of her sentences and made a judgment call on what she meant.

11. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As if I didn't do the same?

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here we are. Scarlett posts some personal resolutions and says that perhaps we should read the Bible every day. She is, thus, a Pharisee and a legalist and is undermining grace. If there's anything to fight about, we'll do it. And if there's nothing, we'll fight about that. A good shunning is in order, IMO. Some people on the board should not be interacted with. I'm sure you know them.

• Like Like x 2
  13. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can all see that the word was, "SHOULD" in all caps, multiple times. Not "perhaps".

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed:

www.timothykeller.com/s/9780525955146_SongsOfJesus_Intro.pdf

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Dear Lord I thank thee that I am not like other men are, pietistic evangelicals, or even as this publican..."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh:Thumbsup