1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Chronicles 12:32 Issachar

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by church mouse guy, Aug 29, 2019.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Chronicles 12:32 (KJV) And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethern were at their commandment.

What's it all about? Do we know any more than what this verse says? What does this verse mean exactly?

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Adam Clarke, "According to the Targum they were all astronomers and astrologers: . . ." The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge has this note: "
    . . . understanding of the times.That is, as the following words indicate, intelligent men, who understood the signs of the times, well versed in political affairs, and knew what was proper to be done in all the exigencies of human life; and who now perceived that it was both the duty and political interest of Israel to advance David to the throne. . . ."

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the entire passage again.

There were men who were coming from the tribes of Israel to join David, and to make him king in Saul's stead.
    These men of Issachar had understanding of the times ( they could "see the writing on the wall" ) and knew that it was of God ( 1 Chronicles 12:23 ) to make David king over Israel at that time.
    That's just from my own reading of it.

Adam Clarke?
    I'd never heard of him before about 5 years ago, and I've still never read any of his commentaries...only having been exposed to some of them through other authors' articles.
    I can't say as I agree with much of what I've seen that he has said about various subjects, but in this case, it looks like he hit this one close to the mark.

As for commentaries in general?
    I don't have any use for them.

#3 Dave G, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is not a Baptist.