1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I didn't get excommunicated....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Pete, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

....but it was close :D

Our two organists at Church have both been off duty due to operations the last few weeks, so I've been filling in on guitar with the violinist. When we had practice on Thursday I twisted his arm and convinced him to use Hear The Pennies Dropping through the offering this morning :D

We got a pretty good reaction from it :D

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Close? I didn't get to vote

3. Pete

Pete New Member

Thanks for your support Gib [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Pete,

I loved your post! [​IMG] It was very funny! [​IMG]

I have a funny one to share: My music director wrote a "Bach Chorale" version of "When the Saints Go Marchin' In" for All Saints Day. He played it at the offeratory and was greatly praised for the "nice Bach piece".

There were some who had caught on and also enjoyed "that nice Bach piece"! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Christ,

Dale

5. Pete

Pete New Member

Dale, I remember reading a story of someone using Twinkle Twinkle little star through an offering or something....Not sure if I read it here or elsewhere on the net. I'll have to go digging [​IMG]

Another bit of trivia I forgot to mention in original post: For one of the songs last week I used a ΒΌ-sized guitar... :D I guess the lesson here is never let me loose in your Church ;)

Oh, and for the record one of the organists will be back at it on Sunday....I don't know if last week had anything to do with it... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the play-list from the week before now I've got everyone worried [​IMG]

Before service: Crown Him With Many Crowns, Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah, Trust And Obey, I Cannot Tell, In The Sweet By And By, Nearer My God To Thee

During servive: Immortal Invisible, Draw Me Nearer, I Need Thee Every Hour, Old Rugged Cross

5 Scripture in Song choruses

Offering: I Surrender All

Communion: When I Survey

After service: The Lord's My Shepherd

I still have the list from last week in my bag of tricks I think, will have to go looking for it.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I was at my cousin's church (they have a very nice pipe organ) on the weekend after UCLA won the football game against their rival USC. During the offertory, the organist improvised a tocatta on the UCLA fight song, interluding into "Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow". This was mostly to poke fun at the choir director, who was a USC grad. The pastor didn't have a clue. It was soooooo cool!

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

For one of the offering's at BJU's Bible conference this last March, everyone was asked to put all their change in the offering plates ... It sounded so cool!

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Hey Pete,

From America you could have also played "Pennies from Heaven". Be careful as some people can't take a joke. Or maybe the soundtrack from the Clint Eastwood movie: "A fist full of dollars". LOL

10. D28guy

D28guy New Member

A few years ago I was helping out a pastor friend of mine who was starting a church, and as is often the case it started out fairly small.

Well, they needed some help filling out all the spots for a small praise and worship band, so a friend of mine and I played with them for a while.

There was however...a problem. :confused:

The Pastor.

Being a start up church the building was small, and everyone was fairly close to one another. The 1st row of chairs were just a few feet in front of us.

And the pastor like to sit in the 1st row.

Right in front of us

And he was enthusiastic and clapped his hands [​IMG] to the music.

And...HE...HAD...ABSOLUTLY...NO...SENSE...OF...TIMING...WHAT...SO...EVER! :D

He was not clapping to the timing of the song. Ever. He was not even in the same universe as the beat of the song.

It was one of the most difficult things musically I've ever been a part of. It was VERY difficult. And we never could find a way to say something to him. I mean, bless his heart hes making a joyful noise unto the Lord! Thats a good thing! But he made it almost impossible for US to make a joyful noise that sounded good! [​IMG]

Mike

[ August 22, 2005, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: D28guy ]

11. superdave

superdave New Member

IF it was a violin, I wouldn't be surprised. I think the first 10 months of the suzuki method books are variations on twinkle. (I know, I can sing them all, in a couple keys) having my second little fiddle player start this year, I'm getting ready to be re-incarcerated. They make up other names for them like mississippi hotdog or something like that, but its twinkle, no mistaking it.

But it is nice to be able to play the guitar along with my daughter to folk music, and sacred pieces now that she is learning more advanced music.

12. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Superdave,

Actually,he played it on our pipe organ. [​IMG]

During the Christmas season,I heard a "baroque" version of " Santa Claus Is Coming To Town " on the classical music station in town. [​IMG]

I think that it's great that you and your daughter play guitars together! [​IMG]

In Christ,

Dale

13. MatthewHenry

MatthewHenry New Member

LOL!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can relate. Been there, Done that. What I hate is singers who can't stay in timing. :mad:

(I'm a drummer)

M.H.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Pete

How close was the vote?

15. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

I ministered at a church in Texas that had a member of the orchestra who has continually promised to slip in music for "Tiny Bubbles" for the AM offering. Long story short, the pastor experienced his first hot tub with the music director and drubbed it into the ground. The music director never wants to hear about hot tubs again.