1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I fear

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Feb 18, 2010.

1. RAdam

RAdam New Member

That was my first thought upon reading the OP.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

No brother, I was not referring to you personally. What does puzzles me is that you seem to be saying that everything that will ever happen is settled in eternity past by God, so don't do anything, it's all settled anyway.

I believe we must reach the lost with the Gospel in order to save those who will believe.

#22 Robert Snow, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
  3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Sir, if it is I did not know it. Some of you think that I am attacking the Primitive Baptist, well I am not. In fact, I do not know the fine points of what they believe. I have never been in a Primitive Baptist church nor had a conversation with a member of such a church.

However, I stand by the things I posted in the OP. Primitive Baptist or not, if you, or anyone else, believes that a person can be saved without consciously repenting and calling on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved, I feel you are wrong. If you are one who believes that you are saved without ever coming to Jesus then I fear for your salvation. If this is wrong and you all have repented and accepted the Gospel then I am not talking about you.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 'free' 'gift' is eternal life, NOT salvation. As I stated in another thread, it is the error of the modern evangelical Church to not make a clear distinction between the two. 'Getting saved' is NOT synonymous with regeneration, i.e., the acquiring of eternal life.

As far as the 'accepting' goes; the ONLY 'accepting' I find in the scriptures is God's acceptance of us:

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. Eph 1:5,6

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Wow, what a statement!

I've been a Christian since 1969 and this is the first time I have ever heard such a statement. You actually believe that this is true? Amazing that, considering the number of churches I have attended, that none of them ever said such a thing. I guess they are all wrong except the Primitive Baptist church.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, "it is the error of the modern evangelical Church to not make a clear distinction between the two".

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

How is it that only the Primitive Baptist have it right?

I talked to a person who attended a Church of Christ a few years ago, and they seem to think that everyone is wrong except them.

Therefore, I am extremely leery of any one group of believers, Baptist included, who believe they somehow have a corner on understanding God's Word.

8. Theopolis

Theopolis New Member

It's a well known fact that Hyper-Calvinists are saved by osmosis.

"The archetypal Hyper-Calvinist position may be found explicitly set forth in the confessional articles of the Gospel Standard (Baptist) Churches, specifically: Articles of Faith of the Gospel Standard Aid and Poor Relief Societies, (Leicester, England: Oldham & Manton Ltd., n.d.). Article 26 in that publication reads, "We deny duty faith and duty repentance — these terms suggesting that it is every man's duty spiritually and savingly to repent and believe."

#28 Theopolis, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1826 the "Declaration of the Reformed Baptist Churches in the State of North Carolina" was issued, expressing the Primitive Baptists' characteristic rejection of missionary societies, seminaries, etc., and nonfellowship with Baptists who approved of such.

Elder Hassell's History of the Church of God from the Creation to A.D. 1885; Including Especially the History of the Kehukee Primitive Baptist Association (pp. 747-748):

#29 Jerome, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  10. Theopolis

Theopolis New Member

Right on ...............

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Then what pray tell is salvation?

"Eternal life is not salvation." That is a new one on me.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Care to share scripture that proves regeneration is not the same as salvation?

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Theopolis

Theopolis New Member

All you have to do is look up the definitions of those words to see that they even have different definitions. That should provide you with a beginning clue.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not with you.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you have proof that regeneration is not the same as salvation, why would you not share it with a brother?

18. Theopolis

Theopolis New Member

What Scripture clearly teaches that?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

All of it. :laugh:

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Right, nice excuse. Truth is, you can't, because it is nowhere to be found in scripture. It is an invention of men, a man-made doctrine, and a false one at that.