1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Felt I Should Drop in and Explain Why I Left

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Steven Yeadon, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, no one ever said that being a Baptist was easy.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblical prophets performed two functions. "Foretelling" is when thy were given revelation about future events. "Forth-telling" was far more common, and involved warnings and sermons towards contemporary individuals or countries. I believe in a prophetic function of forth-telling in this dispensation, but I do not believe in a prophetic function of foretelling since the canon was closed. I believe Rev. 22:18 forbids that. However, I have known men of God in modern times used to chastise His people, believers in Christ, in a forth-telling mode, led by the Holy Spirit.

The key to this distinction lies in the meaning of revelation, which is when universal truth is given through the prophet. That is not needed in this dispensation, since we have the completed Word of God. However, forth-telling is not revelation, but rebuke, and that is very much needed today.

By the way, "prophesy" is often used in the NT to mean simply witnessing for Christ. That is the clear meaning in Acts 2 quoting Joel, "Your sons and your daughters will prophesy." I believe that is what the daughters of Philip did in Acts 21:9--they were soul winners!

#202 John of Japan, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  3. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wait we Catholics believe works save us?

What I gotta do? I think i would pass out if i had to walk around the block.

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might not believe so, but that's what the group as a whole teaches.

5. utilyan

Site Supporter

We probably did it to give God a good laugh. :Devilish

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Ok so let's discuss it.

1. If that exercise in tongues was not of God - then it was fake.
    2. IF as we see in Acts 2 and as you say above the real gift of tongues is real languages that real people speak and know - then all the forms of gibberish are fake no matter how "sincere" the practitioner of it.
    3. But what does the Bible say? In Acts 2 and in 1Cor 14 it appears to be foreign languages and a "sign to unbelievers" not to believers. Only real foreign languages would fit the bill.

1. Given that the particular form of "tongues" you mentioned turned out to be fake - not real surprise that the interpretation of them - also fake.

==========================================

Now that leaves prophecy.

100,000 pages of prophetic messages via the gift of prophecy - Seventh-day Adventists are perhaps more versed in how this actually works - than the average Christian denomination -- by a long shot.

First what does the Bible say ?

Numbers 12
    “Hear now My words:
    If there is a prophet among you,
    I, the Lord, shall make Myself known
    to him in a vision.
    I shall speak with him in a dream.

7 “Not so, with My servant Moses,
    He is faithful in all My household;
    8 With him I speak mouth to mouth,
    Even openly,
    and not in dark sayings,
    And he beholds the form of the Lord.
    Why then were you not afraid
    To speak against My servant, against Moses?”

Both Aaron and Miriam were admitted to be prophets - but God reprimands them contrasting His form of communication with Prophets - vs - the way He communicated with Moses.

7. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what happens with me normally. I have many, many dreams of the future that always come true and come with messages that warn me in a way completely consistent with the bible. I have visions that affect all six senses, including a sense of the mind of knowing.

I do not believe Ellen G White is a prophetess though, I must warn you. Her rules for the diet of her followers tells me that.

8. utilyan

Site Supporter

As long as you use kindness and love, should be fine. But if a prophecy scares or accuses, you can fall into a Pogo Paradox

Pogo Paradox means the attempts to prevent a prophecy end up causing the prophecy.

Never act in fear, don't be mean, no fighting.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.