1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I found me another heretic..

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If that's the full extent of the context, I lean towards this being a heretical statement.
    You started the dance, and I've been consistent in my position: I want to know the context before accusing someone of heresy. You seem to think that's wrong somehow.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Read his posts. He says that God commands Satan to deceive people to disobey Him.

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case, and I am not disagreeing, then I dont see how that is turning away from the Scripture. Sure, may be a misunderstanding of it (I don't know, not going back to read all his posts) but carico is deeply committed to and loves the Bible, just like you and me.

4. ReformedBaptist

I dont think its wrong. And my reply was half jest. That's why I think you take yourself too seriously. Relax..have a beer, and take a deep breath.

More flowers for you :flower::flower::flower:

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It was disrespectful, albeit in jest. But I accept the premise. Nuff said.

I'm not much of a beer drinker, btw. But I'm open to changing my mind.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Really? He has repeatedly questioned the salvation of those who disagree with Calvinism. You even responded to one of his posts saying that he was wrong to do that.

He just accused me of having contempt for scripture in another thread. Is this how we treat our brethren? Is this what you call being committed to and loving the Bible? No, he is not like me.

7. ReformedBaptist

That gets thrown around alot. You think I am in error in regards to Calvinism and my undersstanding of the Scripture in that regard. But I dont think you would say I dont love the Bible.

And yes, to accuse you or others who are genuinely devoted to Christ and His Word, and then accuse them of contempt for the Scriptures because we disagree on some things, is wrong.

I do think carico is overzealous in his committment to calvinsim.

8. ReformedBaptist

No disrespect meant. But if you are a lib, and I think you are, you fellers do get yoru panties in a ruffle a lot. I don't have a politically correct bone in my body, either with politics or religion, and when someone tries to give me one I usually smack him in the head with it. :laugh::laugh:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I know that you love the Lord. I have seen that through your posts over the years. Our disagreement on Calvinism does not affect my love for you as a brother. I hope that all those on BB who have know me for the 3 years that I have been here, have seen through my posts that I love the Lord. To be accused of contempt or to question my salvation is very hurtful to me. It is a knife in my heart. I probably shouldn't be so sensitive to it, but I am. I'm usually pretty tough skinned in these debates, but not when my love for God is questioned. That's just one place you can't go.

Thanks for your post. I will leave it alone now. Sorry for derailing your thread. :wavey:

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dallas Willard the article can be found here and there is no context in which that statement would be justified.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Fair enough, hatchet buried...
    I'm not, and I don't get easily ruffled. I do grow weary, though, of some folks here using words like "liberal" to pretty much discount anyone with whom they disagree. Oh, I've been called apostate, too, but it was by a KJVOist, so ya gotta consider the source. That person got banned, if I recall.
    Neither do I.
    Can I get that in writing? Oh wait, I think I just did.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Waaahhh !! you pickin' on me. gon' tell on you to my mama, whaaaahhhh !!!:wavey::flower:
    ya better run, she a bigger gorilla than me...

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ya know, you only pick on those you like! Please tell your mama not to whup me! :laugh:

:wavey:

14. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. :thumbsup:

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yeah, the only context that would make that not heretical would be a preceeding statement saying that it was false :)

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It is usually prudent to know the context before accusing someone of heresy. I don't think anoyone would disagree with that.
    That said, the OP statement is a heretical statement if it's applied to people as a whole (which appears to be). Dallas Wilard made the statement in a 2002 article which was a hypithetical conversation.

Now, should we conclude that Dallas Willard is a heretic based on this statement alone, or should we consider this body of work as a whole?

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I knew that statement was by Dallas Willard the moment I read it, since I had read it on his site a year or two ago. I have been trying to alert people to him and some of the teachings he's aligning himself with. It's not too surprising he has this view since he is closely aligned with Richard Foster (no time or space here to put in my concerns with him) and both are open admirers of Catholic Thomas Keating, Thomas Merton (who loved Buddhism) and others like that.

18. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is what he believes, then yes, it is heresy even if he may or may not be heretical in his other works. This brand of limited universalism is a big issue. One that is not balanced out by other more orthodox beliefs.

19. ReformedBaptist

John,

Please keep it in mind. I don't mind being corrected in this regard if I get out of line or overzealous myself.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The "body of work as a whole" argument is irrelevant. Either he believes this or he doesn't. It is black and white. Nothing else