1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I got my copy!!

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Karen, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

Well, yesterday was October 30.
    So naturally, I lined up and got #9 in the Left Behind series, Desecration.
    Just finished reading it and did seriously enjoy it.

I have never quite understood the strong opposition a number of people on this board have against this series. Their three main complaints seem to be:
    1) Its theology.
    2) The authors and Tyndale have made money.
    3) Immature and unlearned Christians spend too much time with them to the exclusion of other things.

1) In my opinion, the theology falls well within the bounds of orthodoxy. And I admit that I am a premillennialist with dispensationalist leanings, so that view does not bother me. However, a fictional book written with an amillenialist viewpoint would not horrify me, either.

2) So? So have many other Christian writers,
    including John Grisham, Jan Karon, and Charles Stanley. There has to be a profit in the economic system that we have for publishers to publish. Lahaye, Jenkins, and any other Christian author have not coerced anyone. I parted with the money willingly.
    There are loads of things I don't spend a dime on. That doesn't mean you shouldn't or that it is coercion if you do. Economic freedom is one of the basics of our country.

3) I know a lot of people who have enjoyed the Left Behind series, but I have not personally come across anyone that regards these books as an exact blueprint for prophecy. They are fiction. One of the main drivers of the series, I believe, is that ordinary people are thrust into incredible circumstances and must walk by faith with God getting them through, sometimes very clearly, other times not so clearly.
    If you came to my house, you would see books all over the place. I don't say that Left Behind is the highest pinnacle of literature, Christian or otherwise. Nor is it all that I read. You would see books in my house by Frederick Buechner, Annie Dillard, John Claypool, Tolkien, Stephen Lawhead, Flannery O'Connor, Stephen Ambrose,
    Spurgeon, Calvin, Shakespeare, and several thousand others, not forgetting my son's favorite series, Wally McDoogle by Bill Myers.
    I suspect that MANY people read a lot of different kinds of things and that I am not so unusual.
    So try SOMEthing new to read today. You may enjoy it a lot.

Karen

Lots of

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

You read it already? Those are some long books. I haven't got mine yet, will tomorow or Friday, don't know when I'll have time to read it.
    1. Some may not agree with the theology, but it does contian beliefs held by some Baptists, and it doesn't contain outrageous anti christian ideas. It's just that some disagree. So whats new.
    I'm not saying I agree with everything in them, butI'm not about to get my beliefs from them either. There are probably some who shouldn't read them.

2.There aren't any authors or publishers who don't make money. Everyone has to make a living. I don't see a problem with that. Do some think the publishers of bible don't make a profit form selling bibles, or the chritain store who sell them. ever notice how outragesously high priced christian products are? Someone making money, and their selling at inflated prices to do it too, sounds dishonest to me.
    3.I agree on your number 3. I read a lot of different things,a nd don't even devote much time to these books, it takes me weeks to read a left behind book.

I'm not saying everyone should run out and buy one. But for those of us do read them, so what?

3. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

I have a wonderful Christian friend who buys the series on tape and then when she is done with them lets me have them to listen to. She called me this morning to tell me she just got the latest one and is so excited about it, once she is finished with it this week I'll get them, I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. She said there are some suprises in it so I'll be shocked.

I personally love this series because it strikes up conversation about the second coming of Jesus and what it might be like during the tribulation. I think it's wonderful because people are reading these books and also getting saved as a result.

Hey, better reading this than some fictional book about ungodly situations.

Karen

4. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I read up to Soul Harvest (#4) and pretty much lost interest. I don't really have an opinion on the accurateness of the Biblical parellels the book contains because I have not fully studied the book of Revelation. I personally have all but given up on reading ANYTHING outside of the Bible but only because I don't have the TIME to read anything else and I MUST make the Bible my #1 priority. I will say that while I was reading the Left Behind books, I neglected my Bible reading...not good. But that is not to say that EVERYONE is neglectful and slothful in their Bible reading when reading other material, I just know it is a stumbling block for me, so I will stay away from it for the time being (btw, I have a 6 year old and a 20 month old if that sheds any light on my situation LoL). Happy reading!

Kathy
    <><

5. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

I hate reading, which is why I don't read the books but listen to them on tape which helps me stay tuned into what is happening. If I had to just read it, I most likely wouldn't do it. It truely is hard for me to read scriptures, not because of disliking the bible but I don't enjoy reading anything so I have to literally force myself into reading scripture and then when I do I get something out of it. Perhaps you all could pray I take more interest in doing so, it really is a struggle.

karen

6. ILuvAWANA

ILuvAWANA New Member

I personally love the series.. I have a friend who get the hardback and will loan it to me when she's done.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Got mine today, haven't looked at it yey thought. I guess I could do that instead of this. I also don't have a lot of time to read anything but the bible, thats why it takes me several weeks to get through one of these books.

8. Karen

Karen Active Member

I had to hurry, my husband came home and started on it today. I didn't want to wait till he got through.

Karen

9. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

We bought our copy at WalMart today for $14.

10. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Got mine at Wal Mart too, cheaper there then anywhere else I've seen them. Read one chapter so far, it seems to take me longer then everyone else.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Karen, I haven't read the last two books. The reason--I will be blunt and honest with you. I got bored. When the original series started as a three or four book series it was pretty exciting. (Remember the book "666" from the sixties?) Anyway, when it started appearing that the books started moving SLOWER and SLOWER and SLOWER just to get more book sales, I lost interest--it is as simple as that. Yes, they are better books than a lot of other trash out there, but I honestly feel that they seem to have sold out to the "get rich" crowd not just the "lets make a decent profit crowd. I may be wrong--just my opinion and I hope it answers one of your questions. I spend more time now reading my Bible and other books such as "What's so Amazing about Grace" by Philip Yancey or "Where is God when it Hurts". I'm glad you like the books though, my wife thinks I'm a sinner for loosing interest----not really, but nearly. :D

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

14. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

funny you should mention those series from the sixties, I saw the videos for that time frame and hated it with a passion, but the newer series seems to blend well with me.

lol wow some people are just really different where taste is concerned.

karen

15. Grace

Grace New Member

My mom surprised me with my copy on Thursday. I finished it Saturday. GREAT BOOK.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillip, I'm down with that SLOWER and SLOWER business....

Let's get to the end, already!!!

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwhitenblue:
    funny you should mention those series from the sixties, I saw the videos for that time frame and hated it with a passion, but the newer series seems to blend well with me.

lol wow some people are just really different where taste is concerned.

karen
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Karen,
    I was only talking about one single book by Salem Kirban. I didn't know they made a movie of it. I always thought it would make a good movie, but are you sure we are talking about the same one? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember it and when I read the book I was pretty much a kid and it was exciting at the time, even though the science today is quite archaic.

I do like the new ones, but as I said in my upper post, they sure seem to be dragging out the final books. . . . .