1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I guess UT doesn't get a bowl game . . .

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by StefanM, Nov 19, 2005.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GO VANDY!

Tennessee just lost its sixth game of the year to Vandy (28-24), thereby ensuring that UT will not play in a bowl game this year.

It's about time that UT has to sit out the postseason!

2. nate

nate New Member

Same here! It was good to see Vandy win. UT has won like 22 strait sooo. Although I wish Vandy could go to a bowl game!

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Vols fan... I can honestly say they needed this season.

Along with everyone else, I thought that Ainge would be a star and that UT would be a serious contender for the Rose Bowl.

Just goes to prove that really bad coaching can overcome very good talent.

Thankfully, this season led to a much needed and long overdue house cleaning. The Vols have consistently declined with Sanders and the offensive coaches.

The good news for me... and probably bad news for you guys is that Cutcliffe is new and improved... even over his past skill. He spent time on Charlie Weis' staff during transition and says he picked up ideas even in a short time. Remember he is also the guy who coached both Mannings to record breaking careers.

BTW StefanM, news is that Mitch Mustain is reconsidering his commitment to Arkansas even after they hired his HS coach because of Cutcliffe. UT wasn't even in the hunt before then as far as I know.

As painful as it was, this season was much needed medicine for UT and Fulmer.

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we lose Mustain, we'll basically be where we were before. I'm not worried. I know Arkansas isn't a SEC championship contender 90% of the time.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arkansas will be fine, with or without a commitment from Mr. Mustain. From what I can tell, I really think that Mr. Mustain wants to go to Notre Dame - or at least that is where his mother wants him to go.

The Hogs will have a vastly improved offense next season with Gus Malzahn as the offensive coordinator. They may have a "Texas Tech" type offense except with a better running game and a better defense.

I think they will go 8-4 in the regular season.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's a reasonable assessment, KenH.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was checking on a Porker message board and someone stated that Mr. Mustain's mother wants him to go to Tennessee. I guess we will all find out for sure on February 1 when he actually signs with a university.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless, of course, he decides to hold out for more on that day.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If you have a chance to go to Tennessee or Notre Dame for football...why would Arkansas even be a consideration :confused: [​IMG]

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw a comment that alluded to the same thing on the UT team recruiting link @ rivals.com as well as the Nashville Tennesseean's college football section.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same CJ Leak came out of HS a 4 or 5 star recruit and went to Wake Forest... resulting in an bad injury and failed career. Home state allegiance and the desire to have friends and family come watch him play.

OTOH, Knoxville and South Bend are both good road trips from Arkansas.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Home State loyalty. A chance to be "the man" instead of just one among many.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Mustain is anything close to the hype... he could easily be the man in Knoxville next year.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I disagree that it would be a minor loss for the Hogs. These young recruits nowadays seem to track each other. Good young players, especially receivers, may strike Ark off the list if Mustain changes.

15. PastorSBC1303

How about we just agree that Tenn and Arkansas both stink and send this kid to Notre Dame where he can play some real football ;) :D [​IMG]

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I hate ND... almost as bad as the Gators and Trojans.

However, there are few coaches that would be better than Charlie Weis.

Actually, UT doesn't "stink" nor belongs in the same category with Arkansas... or Mizzou for that matter. UT had a long overdue come uppance... and partial house cleaning.

I suspect that Cutcliffe will adopt alot of Weis' approach... so the biggest difference between playing at UT and ND for Mustain would be opportunity to start (he ain't beating Quinn) and the relative talent of those around him (it will take Weis a few years yet to catch up to UT in pure talent).

OTOH, as a Baptist, I wouldn't play for ND due to its being a Catholic school.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my experience, no one is ever as good as the hype!

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know that's always true. UT got their money's worth out of Shuler and Manning and more out of Martin with Cutcliffe in charge of the O. I think more often than not it has to do with coaching.

Look at Spurrier.

19. PastorSBC1303

Personally, I think Tenn needs a new head coach as well. Fulmer has never done much for me. He is the equivalent of Mike Tice in the NFL. When you look at them they look constantly dazed and confused.

I think Weis at ND is on his way to becoming one of the top coaches in college football today.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever it is, Fulmer is good around the coffee table by all accounts. He brings in blue chip players from all across the country every year. Although UT's facilities give him a certain advantage as well.

I don't think he is brilliant by any stretch though he made a good OC in his own right. His biggest problem has been his loyalty blind spot. He was loyal to Sanders to the point of not being loyal to the university, supporters, and players.

Sanders pretty much led a decline over his whole tenure even as the Vols got closer to the top in national recruiting.

One of the hidden messages behind all this is probably in the choice of Cutcliffe. While Cutcliffe is personally loyal to Fulmer and a good friend, Fulmer has probably hired his replacement if it doesn't turn around pretty quick... especially the player discipline issues.

Fulmer's real problem is that UT lost most of its defense but Chavis has had recent success. Even if the D drops off, Chavis is OK for the time being. Cutcliffe's O can only go up... and I expect it to go way up with the level of talent he will inherit. So if the defense doesn't play well enough to get UT into the SEC title for a couple of years but not bad enough to cast doubt on Chavis while the O goes to the top of the conference... who will be left holding the bag? Fulmer.