1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I miss my old pastors ministry

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Sep 25, 2019.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. Very disciplined guy - Up at 6AM every morning
    2. Rejoiced in what he called being a Pentecostal Holiness country preacher
    3. Revivals - At least one every two months - All with unique and good evangelists
    4. Would let the Holy Spirit have his way in service
    5. Take time to pray for the sick at church and in the hospitals. Carried a bottle of anointing oil with him
    6. Was a friendly guy and would come visit you
    7. Loved God and very Christlike.
    8. A great, loving, and supportive family man as well

I am so tired these days of the preachers from the theological cemetery (oops! I meant seminary!) who think you are a privileged guy if they have time of day to stoop down from their perch of greatness to say hi!

[​IMG]

#1 rockytopva, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear what you are saying I also grew up with many ministers... Our ministers don't go to any seminary either... Self taught and called of the Lord and can they preach!... Love the Lord and his people and don't look down on any... When they preach, they don't sugar coat the message either... Friendly family men also and same as yours visits the sick, bedridden and bereaved if needed... Ready to discuss scripture anytime if available... They have their own family and lives too... We had a family church and to me that was the best times of my life, growing up in church among those beloved brothers and sisters for over 50 years... I know some sweet day I'll see them again... But those precious memories, oh how they flood my soul... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wish our denomination would have produced more like him! I do not think denominations are a bad thing, they are not at all, though, like restaurant franchises where you can expect the same treatment every store!

#3 rockytopva, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  4. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My old pastor was a Pentecostal Holiness preacher who only criticized one denomination.... Pentecostal Holiness! I never heard him say a word against any other denomination.

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah... Same here!... One cute joke based on a true story among our people was two preachers met and one says to the other one... Our church is out of order!... Well says the other one, that's the first time I've heard about it... What's wrong with it?... The other preacher looked the other one square in the eye and said... I'm in it!... Brother Glen:)

6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you have against seminary trained preachers?

7. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If they are Christlike in their ways.... Nothing! Most common everyday like people are just after simple friendship and for many seminary trained preachers, a virtue looked over!

8. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many poorly educated men who are sincere and devoted pastors. But, a head pastor should be well educated in theology.

9. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In old Methodist times these were called Exhorters, and Bob Jones did a movie on one by the name of Robert Sheffey, whom GC Rankin described as....

The rarest character I ever met in my life I met at that campmeeting in the person of Rev. Robert Sheffy, known as "Bob" Sheffy. He was recognized all over Southwest Virginia as the most eccentric preacher of that country. He was a local preacher; crude, illiterate, queer and the oddest specimen known among preachers. But he was saintly in his life, devout in his experience and a man of unbounded faith. He wandered hither and thither over that section attending meetings, holding revivals and living among the people. He was great in prayer, and Cripple Creek campground was not complete without "Bob" Sheffy. They wanted him there to pray and work in the altar.

He was wonderful with penitents. And he was great in following up the sermon with his exhortations and appeals. He would sometimes spend nearly the whole night in the straw with mourners; and now and then if the meeting lagged he would go out on the mountain and spend the entire night in prayer, and the next morning he would come rushing into the service with his face all aglow shouting at the top of his voice. And then the meeting always broke loose with a floodtide.

He could say the oddest things, hold the most unique interviews with God, break forth in the most unexpected spasms of praise, use the homeliest illustrations, do the funniest things and go through with the most grotesque performances of any man born of woman.

It was just "Bob" Sheffy, and nobody thought anything of what he did and said, except to let him have his own way and do exactly as he pleased. In anybody else it would not have been tolerated for a moment. In fact, he acted more like a crazy man than otherwise, but he was wonderful in a meeting. He would stir the people, crowd the mourner's bench with crying penitents and have genuine conversions by the score. I doubt if any man in all that conference has as many souls to his credit in the Lamb's Book of Life as old "Bob" Sheffy.

At the close of that year in casting up my accounts I found that I had received three hundred and ninety dollars for my year's work, and the most of this had been contributed in everything except money. It required about the amount of cash contributed to pay my associate and the Presiding Elder. I got the chickens, the eggs, the butter, the ribs and backbones, the corn, the meat, and the Presiding Elder and Brother Stradley had helped us to eat our part of the quarterage. Well, we kept open house and had a royal time, even if we did not get much ready cash. We lived and had money enough to get a good suit of clothes and to pay our way to conference. What more does a young Methodist preacher need or want? We were satisfied and happy, and these experiences are not to be counted as unimportant assets in the life and work of a Methodist circuit rider. -The Life of George Clark Rankin

10. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Dear Lord, a chill wind seems to imprison our hearts; and the brothers and sisters sit about as rotting tree stumps; and even the mouths of Thy servants who have spoken seem cold with formality and aloofness. These brethren who call themselves preachers and who by divine calling should let Thy lovingkindness shine from them like the light of the sun do not know what the trouble is. I think I know what the trouble is. Thou are not with us. We have not invited Thee. They will not like Thy servant Robert Sheffey for asking you this at so late an hour, but, Lord, come quickly, like a descending dove. Forgive them, Lord, for their stiff shirt collars and brand-new suits make it hard for them to look down from the pulpit to see if anyone stands at the altar. Forgive them, Lord, they are small potatoes, and very few in the hill …" - Robert Sheffey, annoyed with the seminary trained preachers at a religious conference

11. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is nice when a divine nature accompanies the ministry...

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. - 2 Peter 1:4

12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general......
    Seminary seems to educate men to pastor large churches.
    I have known many great preachers who were ruined in seminary. They went to seminary caring about people and serving people. They came out distant and consumed with love for knowledge and no love for people. They left for seminary evangelistic fireballs. They returned teaching doctrine but serving no one nor winning anyone. They left for seminary visiting the sick, evangelizing to grow the church, visiting the lost, and ministering to all who hurt in the congregation. They returned telling people that those things are not the job of the pastor.

That is not true in every case, but it's true far too often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen many non-trained pastors who lead their flocks astray with poor biblical teaching and unintentional false teaching.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the people are the church, then it is up to the church to find a pastor who will give them, proper teaching according to scripture... Its the Lords church and the pastor is the undershepherd, if the one who is overseeing the flock is not feeding them proper gospel food, get one who will... That's my advise... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Christian parents send little angels off to public schools. And, over time, those schools turn those little angels into, shall I say, something very different.

Many conservatives have been turned into liberals by the unrelenting drip torture of advanced education, especially in more liberal college programs. You can't even get passing grade from some professors without bowing to their pagan cows.

On the other hand, the Bible is 66 books written in Hebrew and Greek. And, the KJV doesn't cut it.

The population is more educated than ever, and fewer people are willing to listen to a preacher less educated themselves.

16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many wouldn't even know they are being led in error.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Sermons on Soul Winning

[Romans 10:14 "How shall they hear without a preacher?"]

"Who ought to preach, then?....For this work, a high degree of gifts is not required. It does not say, 'How shall they hear without a doctor of divinity?'.....I learned my theology, from which I have never swerved, from an old woman who was a cook in the house where I was an usher. She could talk about the deep things of God and as I sat and heard what she had to say, as an aged Christian, of what the Lord had done for her, I learned more from her instruction than from anybody I have ever met with since!"

Hallelujah!

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen seminary educated SBC pastors lead their flocks astray.

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not doubting that, but the tone of this thread seems to say seminary is bad, and that is just nonsense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is important, for the sake of spirituality, that we divide the man into three parts… Physical, Spiritual, and Intellectual. If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2) And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma, the sun is the visible form of E/c2
    Mental E/c2 - Our thinking can produce creativeness, light, and good things
    Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

The Natural E/c2 in the form of mass produces a gravity that attracts other objects
    The Intellectual E/c2 produces a gravity that draws us to study
    The Spiritual E/c2 also has a gravity that draws and makes religion attractive

So... Spirituality in itself is nonsense. Therefore it can be missed on the intellectual level. And, keeping in mind the religious folk in Jesus time were astute mentally, but the spiritual man was equivelent to dead mens bones.

I believe the Spirit can absorb just as the mind, and can become very evil... Yet still retain it's mental correctness.

#20 rockytopva, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019