1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need advice

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gina B, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Gina B

    Gina B Active Member

    Dec 30, 2000
    Likes Received:
    I got a letter from a collection agency today. It turns out my ex put his utilities for his home in my name and didn't pay them. (who knows what else)

    I received a letter from the gas company requesting that I send in notarized information, copies of my lease showing that I live here (pretty silly, I never lived in that town ever!) and this and that and they'll take my name off, but it seems a little late for that since they already turned it into a collection company and it's gone on my credit report. (which really really ticks me off btw)

    Do I HAVE to go to court to get it taken off? Is it small claims court? Is it even court? I'm not sure what to do here. How do I find out what else he has done apart from waiting on letters from the collection agency?

    Also, he used the postal system it seems as part of this. When he started getting requests to pay up he went to the post office and changed my address from his address to mine, my real one. I never used that address or lived there btw.

    There's gotta be something highly illegal about all of this, but nobody I talked to seemed to think so. (the gas company, the collection company, the post office)

  2. Sspinko52

    Sspinko52 New Member

    May 18, 2004
    Likes Received:
    Do you have a lawyer friend who can give you advice? Also, talking to Dave Ramsey may help. He knows a lot about this stuff.
  3. menageriekeeper

    menageriekeeper Active Member

    Feb 20, 2004
    Likes Received:
    You need copies of your credit report in order to find out what else is on it that you haven't done.

    This is fraud, but whether the authorities will do anything about it is anyones guess. Your local DA's office would be the one to contact.

    You need to find a lawyer that is experienced with identity theft. Good luck.
  4. DavidsAngel

    DavidsAngel Guest

    Actually what you need to do is whatthey ask. Send in the noterised copies and prove you never lived there, then ask them to call the credit brueau and have it removed.

    IF you encounter problems take your EX to court you have several diffrent avenues open.

    Fraud being a main one.
    And calling the local DA's office is a good idea.
  5. dianetavegia

    dianetavegia Guest

    He would have had to forge your name on the change of address. Add forgery to the charge.

    NOW.... maybe just sending in the info and sending copies to the credit agencies will suffice. You sure don't want the girls hearing that Mommy sent Daddy to prison over a couple hundred dollars.
  6. blackbird

    blackbird Administrator

    Feb 21, 2002
    Likes Received:
    This sounds like a job for the mighty Blackbird to solve---to which he believes he can solve with his eyes blindfolded----simple!

    First---the "Ex" needs a good, old fashioned "Tail Whippin'" A localized "Thrilla In Manilla!"

    When runnin' away from a busted marriage----simply do what Stalin did when the German Army was breathin' down Russia's back-----issue a policy called "Scorched Earth!!"

    (1) Burn everything behind you as you retreat! Especially bridges!

    (2) What won't burn---put a stick of Dynamite under it and light the fuse---if it won't burn the concussion from the explosion will "twist" the object in question until it cannot be used any more!!! For instance---his car! His motorcycle! His outboard Evinrude and precious jonboat!!---among many other manifested manly gods men tend to have!! ("Hint! Hint!!")

    Your buddy,
  7. SpiritualMadMan

    SpiritualMadMan New Member

    Nov 10, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Using the USPS do commit fraud is also a federal Mail crime, I believe, and that may get you help from your local Postmaster...

    The Gas Company sent it to a Collector, so, I believe, the Gas company is responsible to call the collection agent off you back and 'fix' the damage they did by not properly researching the facts of the matter...

    Your state may have a Comsumer Advocates Office that may be able to provide a free referral for legal advice. (Depending upon your financial circumstances.)

    Best wishes... (And, prayers!)
  8. NateT

    NateT New Member

    Oct 25, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Actually, you don't need a lawyer if your main concern is to get it off a credit report. You can legitimately dispute any claim on your credit report that is not something that belongs to you. Each Credit Beurau has a fraud line that you can call. Also, you can call the FTC to report ID Theft. They don't do anything but give you a report number to give to your police department.

    The nice bennefit, is when you report fraud on your report, you get a free copy of your report [​IMG]

    Relavant links are: