1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.O.U. Tithing?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Roy1, May 31, 2004.

1. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Hi Folks,
    No one is saying that we are not to tithe, by cash or cheques; no one is saying that it is not a matter of the heart. This is not a legalistic requirement but an honest question about very practical matters. Many have talked about convenience, but that is not the issue.

(BTW, convenience and ease is the scourge of modern day Christianity, we only want to do those things that are convenient and easy. It is high time that the people of God got of their beds of ease and did something that cost them in any area of their lives. 2 Sam 24:24 And the king said unto Araunah, Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing.)

In cold hard practical terms if the money that I give on the Sunday was needed on the Monday, then my cheque giving even though my heart was right does not help.

See the original question.

Roy.

2. KeithS

KeithS New Member

Perhaps if one wishes to use a check he simply "tithes" a week in advance. In the US most checks clear in two days. Some checks may take up to seven days, but that seems pretty rare.

Now, aside from the practical solution I do not see a problem with checks anyway. If my church needs the funds from my check on Monday A.M. then there are other problems with the church anyway, perhaps of their own doing and perhaps not. The point of bringing the tithes into the storehouse is that they are brought in. Not that they are brought in at 10 A.M Sunday Morning.

3. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

I don’t want to get off the point again, but I never said that there is a problem with the Cheque; it is a question and observation.

BTW, I take it you have never been in a small church plant situation. I mean one that does not have a denominational bank account holding it together. Brethren, remember that not all Churches are big, but many are small and struggling. The finances of the Church are a real practical issue and it does not imply that they have or are misusing the money.

Roy.
    [​IMG]

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Most of my tithes/offerings are by check. I also have my church (and other charities) setup via online bill pay. I see nothing remotely wrong with donating funds in this manner.

No. I certainly don't think of it as an IOU when I pay my groceries or electric bill via check. A check put into the offering plate is no different.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A bill is considered paid immediately upon the payee accepting the check from the payor. A donation is considered made immediately upon the donee accepting a check from the donor. I see no reason why a tithe is not considerd to be brought to the storehouse immedately upon the church accepting a check from a congregant.

Who says that online giving isn't from the heart? I do it often, and it's just as from the heart as any other mode of giving. Perhaps you're confusing "from the heart" with "on impulse".

6. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

7. KeithS

KeithS New Member

Roy1,

Actually I have been in a small church and our affiliation (Baptist Bible Fellowship) does not provide denominational support. There were times that we had some cold winters because the propane tanks were low.

My main point was simply that God wants the believer to give from the heart (whether we advocate the tithe or some other definition of giving) and that we should contribute in a consistant manner (i.e. If I get paid monthly do I have a requirement to give weekly?). If I give on a Sunday (whether it is cash, check, or charge) God is glorified. In the Old Testament and later in the New there was probably an inventory process before the "tithe" could be distributed. I am not robbing God by using a check just because the Church may have to wait two days to use the funds.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I visited this one church who in the 1980's assured everyone that if you had a credit card, you would take the mark of the beast, and you would be numbered by the government etc etc.

So anyway when I was there the collection was taken, and they said that should you wish to pay by Visa card, fill out the slip on the end of the aisle. So there you go, you can borrow the money on your credit card to pay for your donation to the offering.

Would the interest you would have to pay, be counted as a part of your Tithing. [​IMG]