1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I should probably introduce myself...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Steve Allen, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Steve Allen

Steve Allen Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Howdy y'all! This is not my first post (I just put that up over in the Creation vs. Evolution board), but I should probably introduce myself.

My name is Steve Allen. I was raised as an independent, fundamental Baptist in Frederick, MD. My education was a combination of private and home school. After that, I attended and graduated from ('06) Golden State Baptist College in Santa Clara, CA with a BA in Pastoral Theology. Then I was the pianist for Pastor Mike Ray in Napa, CA for three years.

After that, I became Eastern Orthodox, which I am still. (I help with the chanting and sing in the choir.)

A Reformed Baptist acquaintance of mine who is looking into Orthodoxy mentioned this forum in one of our conversations, and I thought I'd join up. I'm not here to fight or argue, or even really to talk about Orthodoxy unless you ask, and even then I'll probably prefer PM's. I'm here mostly to lurk, frankly, but I'll probably share things we might all appreciate from time to time. .... quotes, memes, etc.

I love the Scriptures, particularly the Psalms, Isaiah, and Hebrews. And James, and the letters of John, and Ephesians, and ... well, the list goes on, right? :)

I met and married my wife in 2014, and we have two children (so far). She was Church of God before, and now Orthodox with me.

We currently live and worship in Mesa, AZ.

I'm into Science Fiction & Fantasy, the Church Fathers, tabletop gaming, music (both playing and singing), all things ancient, Church History, guns, and martial arts/self defense.

I work from home as a database and website programmer and business consultant.

I think that about covers it! Ask me anything....no guarantees you'll like the answer, but I'll do my best. :)

#1 Steve Allen, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to Baptist Board. I always appreciate diverse viewpoints as they challenge my worldview.

Your journey certainly sounds interesting.

You mentioned you are into science fiction and fantasy. May I recommend a book series for you? The Lamb Among the Stars by Chris Walley. Kind of hard to find. Your library might have it. Or can get it for you. I posted a review here:

The Lamb Among the Stars Trilogy--Best Christian Sci-Fi Ever!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Steve Allen

Steve Allen Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    @InTheLight I'll take a look! Always interested in recommendations. :)

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From IFB to Eastern Orthodox, That is quite a change,
    Would be interested in how that change came about.,
    especially since you have a BA in Pastoral Theology.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the baptistboard.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the BB! When you say "I love the Scriptures" you're already on my 'good side'. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, welcome to the Baptist Board.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steve Allen

Steve Allen Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, since you asked (Matt. 5:24) ... :)

The short version (which I'm not defending it here, just outlining) is that the claims of the IFB movement with respect to their spiritual ancestry didn't hold water, especially when compared with their own (much more correct, frankly) ecclesiological claims, so I went and found the Church whose claims did.*

I examined, in detail, the claims of The Two Babylons, The Trail of Blood, Martyr's Mirror, and other such books and pamphlets, including the history of each of the groups listed in those and claimed as progenitors by Baptists. When the details are in view, the claims that they were somehow "proto-Baptists" become individually laughable, and while the narrative is nice the details tell a quite different story. Even when you limit the comparison to "follow the Scriptures only" -- well, suffice it to say that even there the details betray the narrative.

So why did I not join Rome? you might ask in response. Many do, after all. In short, because the ecclesiological claims of Rome do not match up with the Scripture. (On this, I still agree with the IFB, and with largely the same set of objections, and then some.)

The following document was not formational to my conversion -- I found it after the fact -- but it does do a good job of outlining things ecclesiologically.

And in learning the doctrine of the Faith as received in the Church I found, I can truly say (and gladly!) that I've never found more depth and interconnectedness in the Scriptures -- all of them. (Not just the bits people like to underline.) I've never seen and known Christ so clearly. And all without having to do hermeneutical gymnastics to get around some pretty obvious stuff, either.

So long story short -- the things I was taught by my IFB pastors and teachers to love and expect about Christ and the Church and the Scriptures, I found, completely, not in IFB-dom, nor even in Protestantism generally, nor in Rome, but in Orthodoxy. And so here I am. :)

Thanks for asking!

----

* Of course, you might object that I lost the "independent" part, and that's partly true -- totally true, in fact, in the sense that IFB's use it. However, the "independent" part is nowhere found in Scripture anyway -- the Scripture in fact shows the local churches to be interdependent and conciliar, not independent -- so no big loss there. (This was something that bothered me even while I was still solidly IFB!)

9. Steve Allen

Steve Allen Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! :)

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve, thanks for the info -
    The other night at the store I worked at - a customer came in. She mentioned she was from Ga. So I asked her if she
    was a Baptist - She said - NO - I am Southern Baptist - and then informed me that there is a big difference betweenn IFB and SB!

Will be interesting to see your perspective on issues as they came up.

Once a gain - a great big welcome.

Salty.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steve Allen

Steve Allen Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks, @Salty!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12. Steve Allen

Steve Allen Member

Faith: