1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I thought I was saved, but....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

When the truly saved man looks to his own life for assurance, most of the time he finds none. It is when we look outside ourselves and fix our eyes on Christ that saves sinners, the assurance will come. The devil was often tempting Martin Luther and whispering, look at your life you can't be a Christian , your just a low down sinner. Martin would cut off the devils head with his own sword and say, yes i'm a sinner but praise God, Christ came into this world to save sinners.

2. salzer mtn

A lot of different beliefs claim they believe what the bible states but not all are right.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I look to Spurgeon, one of the greatest reformed Baptist pastors of the last five centuries, for a response to this issue of whether it is God's sovereignty or our own free will that saves us, and ... guess what? Spurgeon didn't bother to debate it. He simply believed both are true:

"This doctrine is as much God's Word as the other. You ask me to reconcile the two. I answer, they do not want any reconcilement; I never tried to reconcile them to myself, because I could never see a discrepancy. If you begin to put fifty or sixty quibbles to me, I cannot give any answer. Both are true; no two truths can be inconsistent with each other; and what you have to do is to believe them both. With the first one, the saint has most to do. Let him praise the free and sovereign grace of God, and bless his name. With the second, the sinner has the most to do. O sinner, humble thyself under the mighty hand of God, when thou thinkest of how often he hath shown his love to thee, by bidding thee come to himself, and yet how often thou hast spurned his Word and refused his mercy, and turned a deaf ear to every invitation, and hast gone thy way to rebel against a God of love, and violate the commands of him that loved thee.

"And now, how shall I conclude? My first exhortation shall be to Christian people. My dear friends, I beseech you do not in any way give yourselves lip to any system of faith apart from the Word of God. The Bible, and the Bible alone, is the religion of Protestants; I am the successor of the great and venerated Dr. Gill, whose theology is almost universally received among the stronger Calvinistic churches; but although I venerate his memory, and believe his teachings, yet he is not my Rabbi. What you find in God's Word is for you to believe and to receive. Never be frightened at a doctrine; and above all, never be frightened at a name. Some one said to me the other day, that he thought the truth lay somewhere between the two extremes. He meant right, but I think he was wrong, I do not think the truth lies between the two extremes, but in them both. I believe the higher a man goes the better, when he is preaching the matter of salvation. The reason why a man is saved is grace, grace, grace; and you may go as high as you like there. But when you come to the question as to why men are damned, then the Arminian is far more right than the Antinomian. I care not for any denomination or party, I am as high as Huntingdon upon the matter of salvation, but question me about damnation, and you will get a very different answer. By the grace of God I ask no man's applause, I preach the Bible as I find it. Where we get wrong is where the Calvinist begins to meddle with the question of damnation, and interferes with the justice of God; or when the Arminian denies the doctrine of grace."

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0207.htm

Who am I to attempt to go where Spurgeon would not? Man is responsible, God is sovereign. End of discussion.

#123 thisnumbersdisconnected, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  4. salzer mtn

When a person looks to Christ and him alone, then Christ is his salvation. Salvation is not in a plan but in a person.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Thanks (not) for utterly failing to either read or understand my post.

:BangHead:

6. salzer mtn

Thanks for trying to derail the subject.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But where are we commanded to look to see Christ in? the Bible!

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

My post was spot on. As to yours ... [​IMG]

9. salzer mtn

Your right but unless the Spirit guides you into all truth, you will be like the CoC when they read the bible.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yep, but my assumption here is that this is one of the Elect, really been saved, who wants and needs assurance!

11. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Simple.....the Holy Spirit is a supernatural confirmation. Goofy! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.