1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Timothy 4:10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Paul F. Eilers, Feb 2, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Not so. You just introduced a 3rd term -- redemption. So go ahead and put that in the order if you like.

NEVER said they were the same thing. Where are you getting this???

And now you add "respond." You're talking gibberish until you get all these terms in order. I've never run into anyone who tried to obfuscate their true beliefs as you appear to be here in order to blame someone for not understanding. No one I know has felt it necessary to use so many terms. Still, I have invited you to straighten me out and all I get is more "smoke and mirrors!" :laugh:

skypair

#21 skypair, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  2. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Hey all,
    This is the way I have always viewed this scripture:

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."

Christ came to do somehing. I for one believe He accomplished what He set out to do. According to scripture, He came to "Take away the sin of the world"
    "The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29

Before Christ came, we (the gentiles) had no hope. We were lost and a heathen people. We were all born in the original sin of Adam, dead spiritually with no hope of recocery. After the great work of Christ, believer or not, He became the Savior of all men.

Christ is a special savior of those that believe. He gives them everlasting life. He gives life to everyone, but everlasting life to those that believe.

Consider this:
    For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. Rom 7:9,10

Paul was letting us know that he was "Alive" once without the law. But when the commandment came, sin "Revived" and he "Died".
    I take this that he was spiritually alive but then spiritually died. His life could only be made possible through Christ. That would be the same for every person. Christ is the "Way, Truth and Life".
    As Adam transgressed the commandment of the Lord, so did Paul (And everyone else). Thus, dieing spiritually, and needing to be saved from our own transgressions.
    And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Eph 2:1

Regardless if anyone believes or not, what Adam done in the garden effected every single person that was ever born (Except Christ). The same holds true to what Christ did. No matter if you believe or not, what He done on the cross effected everyone (Savior of all men). What He did on the third day, gives everlasting life to those that believe (Specially of those that believe).

I would love some feedback.

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I'm only going to address the highlighted part of this post:
    I have heard that the sin of Adam gave 'blood poisoning' to all who followed---his offspring. (This is not in the same sense of a real medical malady.... but a very real sense of the spiritual...... and an analogy may be drawn between the science of biology and the physical and the scriptural support and the spiritual.)
    The Bible speaks amazing things about the blood:
    The life is in the blood.
    The blood of Abel cried out...... so blood talks.
    God has made us all of one blood: We know this is true because transfusions are done by blood TYPE, not by racial type.
    Blood is powerful.
    Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin.
    The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.
    Genetics are passed by both parents, but the blood type of the child always reflects the father's contribution through his seed.
    Does it not therefore follow that Jesus was born of a woman's seed; a virgin; his own blood line a direct link to His Holy and Righteous Father?

Oh how wondrously and beyond the scope of human comprehension are the Holy Words of God, so complete even in its mystery, so agreed to that knowledge scripted upon its pages before human science or history and understanding could even apprehend it! How perfect are your words Oh LORD, and how sure is your love and salvation!:godisgood: :thumbs:

#23 windcatcher, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Paul,

I'm teaching 1 Timothy at my church right now, and one of the things I've discovered about the book is its missional scope.

1. False teachers were teaching Torah (1:3-7), which some used to promote a kind of exclusivism.

2. Then Paul had to put things into perspective, using his own life and then making an appeal to Timothy to fight the good fight.

3. Note how Paul begins chapter 2, appealing for prayer for all people (pantwn anqrwpwn).

4. Then there's one God and one Mediator (vv. 5, 6). Why this type of talk?

5. Then Paul taps it off with v. 7:

"And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles" (TNIV, emphasis added).

6. Why Paul mentions he's been appointed a herald, apostle and teacher of the Gentiles? Why he mentions the Gentiles?

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

AMEN! And welcome to BB :wavey:

NO ONE, when they appear at the judgment seat, will have their sins "ticked off" to them -- only their "works," Rev 20:12.

Yes. "delivered for our offenses, and was raised again for our justification." Romans 4:25

skypair

6. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Skypair,

Thanks for the welcome. I am also a golfer. I do not get to play much anymore, but I enjoy the game.

Thanks for the comments also. I have found that a lot of people neglect the resurrection. Not on purpose, but many do.

Christ was the perfect sacrifice for sin. If you will have it like this, He undone what Adam did. And He did it for all people. I do however feel that when we transgress ourselves, we are guilty of our sins and are spiritually dead. Our sin is and always has been.... unbelief.
    John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins.

Through the resurrection, came life. Without it, we would have no hope. Where there is life, there is Christ. He is truly the only way.
    In the OT, there were sacrifices made for sin, but as we all know, it was far from a perfect sacrifice. It would stay sin for a time, but had to be repeated. What Christ did was everlasting. Being the perfect sacrifice, it does not need repeating.
    As we all know, the sacrifice for sin, does not give life. I am very thankful and praise His name for what He done on the Cross and in the Tomb.

He conquered sin just for me, even though I did not ask. He gave me undeserving and everlasting life by His grace because He loved me. How wonderful is Christ? Can we honestly put it in words????

#26 Outsider, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008