1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I want to delete some or all of my posts

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by genesis12, Aug 12, 2006.

1. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Other similar forums "out there" permit one to delete one or all of ones posts. That would be nice.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think you can make that request but not sure. I have seen some leave and ask for their post to be removed and most of them are.:type: peace,

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Perhaps editing out some content or asking your user name to be changed and your pic deleted would be a better choice, if your wish is to be unassociated with what you have said.

When you have a number of posts and you delete them, it often ruins the threads and makes things illogical. There are also posters who will have quoted you, and in that case it messes up their posts too. So it's not just having your posts deleted, it would mean messing up other people's posts and threads and increasing the work of those who archive.

That would be pretty unfair if you think about all that's involved!

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

that's true Gina. I'm a moderator on another board. We don't have a time limit on edits and we had a little lady go back and leave all her posts blank. made for some odd threads that we decided to delete. But all the sharing and good ideas that had been done were also lost.

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Deleting a post

As administrators and moderators do not read every post, a member should be able to delete a duplicate. Beyond that we should have to live with our own mistakes, even though some are typing errors, leaving out a word that completely changes a meaning, or myriads of other mis-steps, and trust others will understand.

But should we be enlightened with a better understanding, we should acknowledge our past stance was a stepping stone to the greater light, leaving our posts as presented. Get rid of the duplicates.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duplicate posts or posts you need (for many and various good reasons) to edit after the time limit can be reported to the forums mods (use the report feature).
    As for deleteing posts enmass, why?
    You wrote it why hide from it.
    The time limit was imposed because some members would post and then when they started to take some heat they would go back and edit their post and say that's not what I wrote :saint: .

7. kubel

kubel New Member

Take it to PM with an admin. vB makes deleting all posts by users easy with prune by username, so it's really only a question of policy. A lot of forums don't do this since forum discussions and content are fundamentally built upon each post by its contributors. When one requests their posts be deleted, it leaves a void in every discussion that user participated in.

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Thanks for the input Squire Robertsson, and Kubel. Perhaps we are talking about two different things. On occasion I have posted (and thinking the post did not go through) posted the exact same post (a duplicate) within a 2 or 3 minute period, as the program would "hang", not showing a post was made. All that post does is taking up space, and adds to a members post numbers. Since it says exactly the same thing there is not a void in the discussion, and no one is trying to take back anything they have said.

However, thus far with this new program this has not happened (at least to me).

#8 ituttut, Aug 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
  9. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I hide from no one, no post. This is another example of reaching a conclusion about a post (he's trying to hide from it!) and responding to your conclusion, not my OP. It is my post, my contribution, my .02 cents. In an incredible number of cases an OP and the posts following are misinterpreted. The poster is maligned, ridiculed, "shot down", yet these misinterpretations and belittleings are allowed to remain part of the record. One's options are to simply quit the forum in disgust, or engage in fruitless arguments about my original intent. Why should anything like that be saved? Why should it be kept on file somewhere? Far better to permit the poster to remove those posts for which he has been unjustly maligned. That doesn't necessarily mean all posts, of course.

Our dog is paper-trained. We provide the paper, the training, give her permission to make her deposits, then remove the papers, replacing them with new ones. We have done precisely what we intended to do, she has responded precisely as we wanted her to do, to the point that she won't use papers that haven't been changed out.

In these forums we provide the posts based precisely upon what we want to say, give you an opening to precisely respond. Instead, you interrupt the process with cruel objections, beat up the poster, remove the original intent from consideration, provide nothing to contribute to the flow of information, and expect the poster to live with it, for as long as the board exists. It boils down to misinformation and deliberate disinformation for future readers. (p.s.: NOTHING in my OP referred to "The time limit was imposed because some members would post and then when they started to take some heat they would go back and edit their post and say that's not what I wrote.") another mischaracterization of the original intent.

I can hardly wait for the misinterpretation of THIS post! It will undoubtedly solidify my POV. I repeat: I would like the privilege of deleting any, some, most, all of the posts which I have submitted. :flower:

#9 genesis12, Aug 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
  10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I agree with most of the posts in this thread, in that if you are allowed to delete any post you want to, it would lead to conversations that are choppy and hard to understand.

I don't think anyone should be able to delete, all of their posts. I think they should PM a moderator of that forum and explain to them what you want to delete and why.

If there is a good enough reason, then maybe it should be granted, if not then the post would stay. Maybe there would be a way for the Moderator to note the post so others will know the original poster was misrepresented.

Unless there is a good reason other than 'because I want to', I don't think a post should be edited/deleted.

Genesis12, Have you PM'ed the Moderator of the forum where you post is and asked them to allow you to edit it? Do you have more than one post to edit?

Jamie

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We've all been misunderstood -- some more often than others. Some posters seem like flypaper for the worst.

And sometimes there just aren't enough words, space, or time to give justice to what we really meant.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I made my comment to give a reason for this Board's practice. As for the other, you gave no reason for your request in the OP. If I correctly understand you, your reason is seemingly a good one. But then as it is pointed out by others how dispruptive of the discussion flow would removals be?

13. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Reason: Other boards do it. It would be a nice feature here.

I'm seeking a way to disassociate myself from negative responses to my posts. If the best a poster can do is be negative, then I don't want my question or my position to be associated with h/her.

Discussion flow? I submitted a request to change "debate" to "discussion" for all the forums under the old system, and under the system in use now. No response. My problem is that there is no "flow" in many cases ~~ only oneupsmanship, fault-finding, and the like. But it's okay. Maybe future generations will read my efforts to improve the Baptist Board's bent toward criticism, rather than the flow of Christian thought. I'm hoping for the rapture today; in that case nothing matters.

14. LorenB

LorenB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there some way to leave the posts and delete all traces of origin?