1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I want to get a new ESV - which one??

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by annsni, Dec 26, 2006.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am really enjoying the ESV online and my little paperback that I got to try it out (for $7 at Borders) and now I want to get a good one. I know that they're coming out with a new study version in about a year but until then, should I go for the big Reformation Study Bible or just get the regular thin line and save up for the new study Bible when it comes out?? Hmmmmm - help me spend my Christmas bonus! LOL!

Ann

2. A&I

A&I New Member

Esv

I bought a hardback read through it .Then got one from Crossways a Leather one read through it then the Reformation Study Bible read throught it all in the ESV .I gave the Hardback and the Crossways to my son and his wife I kept the RSB .My wife started using the RSB so I lost that one to .

So I had 3 in the ESV and now none ! All of them used the NKJ for many years now all of them are ESV only !

If you like the ESV I think you would like the RSB in that version !

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like it's time to get one with your own name on it!! LOL!!

How were the notes in the RSB? I couldn't see it at the bookstore because it was wrapped but a friend of mine has one and I'm going to look at hers when I get a chance.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't generally use study editions.
    I'm waiting for a large print edition.

I've got a Crossway Bibles edition.
    I haven't had any problems with the binding that some have complained of,
    ...but then again, I generally use a digital version, only bringing a print addition to meetings and study groups (it still looks new).

I think their burgundy leather binding is tops!

Here are some good prices on the
    Reformation Study Bible: English Standard Version

Rob

#4 Deacon, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure I saw a large print at CBD (www.christianbook.com).

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks but after splerging for a leather bible (and one with with my name imprinted on the front to boot), I'm reluctant to buy another till either it's falling apart or I can't see it anymore.

Anyone looking to buy leather bible with my name on it???
    --- low mileage! looks almost new! guaranteed to produce positive results if read regularly! :)

BTW the ESV Study Bible will probably come out early in 2008.

Wayne Grudem is the general editor.

Rob

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah - I'm thinking I may really want that. I have Grudem's Systematic Theology sitting next to the computer - I use it a LOT. :D

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hey, Rob, I also suffer from the "arm isn't the right length anymore" syndrome! With my diabetes the ol' eyes just aren't what they used to be. I bought a pocket magnifier I keep near me at all times and carry in my shirt pocket when I go out. Comes in really handy for us "old" guys! I found this one in the section where readigng glasses are displayed - it folds and the weight is very light. For just a couple bucks it can sure save the cost of a new Bible!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

9. A&I

A&I New Member

The notes in the RSB are the same as the New Geneva Study Bible .I wish they would have used the notes from the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible in the RSB .The notes are the same but really expanded with alot more info .

My NGSB is in NKJ ,My Spirit of the Reformation is in NIV and the RSB is in ESV .

10. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

ESV Heirloom Edition

I bought a Crossway Deluxe Heirloom Edition in Calfskin leather. A very beautiful Bible. Purchased at discount bible.com I can't wait to see the ESV Study Bible

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Next time, try asking a clerk or manager if you (or they) can unwrap it so you can look at it. I have done this numerous times and so far they have always said "yes."