1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I was reading...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Oct 30, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

... a tome on Christian Doctrine last night and --

Regarding God's "immutability," the statement was made (which I agree with) that God's character is immutable but His dealings with men are changeable based upon their interaction with Him.

This makes sense --- God is not a stone or wood idol to worship Who cannot hear, speak, relate to us, is He? I apologize ahead of time but I get irritated with Christians who make such of God -- as if God doesn't change His mind or answer prayers or say "nothing we can do to be saved ... all of God." That, to me, is neither a personal God nor the God of the Bible.

skypair

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What tome were you reading? That would help us to understand a bit more of the context.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Malachi 3:6----"For I, Jehovah, change not......"
    James 1:17----"..Father of Lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

I'd like to hear more about that tome, as well. Surely, the author must deal with these scriptures.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Genesis 18:24-33 would seem to support that view.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Knowing who he is reading would help us to know exactly what the author means. For instance, Grudem says something very similar with respect to the passages on God changing. He says that God stated intentions from which he "changes" are the way things would work out if man doesn't repent. When man repents, it changes the state of affairs.

I think there are a variety of positions regarding this so I am curious as to which one SP is reading.

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

The Great Doctrines of the Bible[/b] by William Evans, Moody Press, 1949, p 37

Example given: God's attitude towards the Ninevites had not changed but then theirs changed when they changed from sin unto righteousness. God's attitude of necessity must change though His character did not change. ... God's dealings with men as they change from godliness to ungodliness and from disobedience to obedience.

Strong is quoted as saying," God's immutibility is not of that of the stone, that has no internal experience, but [I didn't particularly like this one] that of the column of mercury that rises and falls with evey change in temperature..."

I guess one question would be, does God change His dealings with you after you are saved or is His foreodination for you immutible?

skypair

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I may expand on this later, but in brief:

God's holiness and justice requires that he treat believers and unbelievers differently. He is always pleased with obedience and is always displeased with disobedience.

God doesn't move from one emotion to the other. All emotions exist in him at the same time. He does not change. It is our behavior changes which bring us under the appropriate emotion.

More later. Off to Prayer Meeting.