1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "I went to heaven and came back" books

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Jan 29, 2013.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant that if the scenario I posted is preached over and over as the accepted truth of the word of God then why would not one who say had been near death could have dreamed of themselves having the same experience. It would not have to be exactly the same. I posted what I did for that is what the man was saying about the one who had died.

However there isn't a scripture in the context of going to heaven and being at the feet of Jesus hearing well done my good and faithful servant. But if you have been told that is what takes place then one might would have visions of that happening.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

3. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Sorry, I was a bit hasty ... my church building was not a great example of God giving a revelation.
    However, yes, He could easily advise them as to one or two floors, how many rooms, etc.
    Anyone ever read MATTHEW 7:7-11? ... Yes, of course, but do you BELIEVE it?

Is a personal word from the Lord about oneself, or about one's church, etc. a revelation from the Lord?
    It's all semantics ... Is a word a revelation?

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is not going to happen E7...You are not getting new revelation.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These accounts are nothing new. Here's one from the 1700s from the Monergism.com site:

www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Puritans/Misc-Puritans/Anne-Dutton/

vol 3, p. 60 ff

"Another time I was under Illness of Body, and other trials. . . .I was brought, in a Moment, into the Bosom of GOD. . . .I saw myself wrap'd round with the Righteousness of GOD; and splendidly glorious, in the Eyes of flaming Purity, as I stood in this shining Dress! And from the transcendent Heights of this Glory-sun, I look'd down upon the perfect Righteousness of Adam in Innocence, and of the holy Angels in Heaven, and saw no Glory in these, in comparison with the super excelling Glory of Christ's Righteousness. . . .I beheld the Mercy of Jehovah, as a boundless Ocean, and myself in the midst of it; so that nothing could come at me but what came thro' a Sea of Mercy. No Afflictions, Temptations, or Trials, of what Kind soever, could touch me, but must come thro' this infinite everlasting Mercy, and by it be turn'd into Mercies to Me. I was indeed, cast into Mercy's Ocean, and delightfully div'd into its infinite Depths. And upon every new Discovery, I cry'd out, with the Apostle, Rom. xi.33. Oh the Depths! And in a Word. By this Hour's Communion with GOD, I thought I knew something what Heaven would be.: In the Morning, I said, with Jacob, This is none other but the House of God, and this is the Gate of Heaven, Gen. xxviii.17."

6. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

This is worth repeating, isn't it?

7 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
    8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
    9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
    10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent?
    11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children,
    how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

Non-believers get nothing because of UNBELIEF! ... they don't believe Jesus and His gospel!

Many Christians miss getting a lot because they don't believe Scriptures such as the above!
    Oh, we can't ask for this, we can't get that, that's not for today, etc.
    Yea, many Christians also have lots of UNBELIEF!
    Dey iz da product of 1900 years of false cessationist doctrine. Sad.

#26 evangelist-7, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These sound like Christian-style alien abductions.