1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ice -- Life on Mars?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guessed wrong. I thought that clip would be Felix the Cat and the "Master Cylinder"-- or was he supposed to live on the moon? :laugh:

Anyway, I have written long posts/'essays' in the old Science forum here about how I accept the findings of science, not necessarily believing the conclusions; as well as the literal creation story, not necessarily accepting the timeline and simplicity shortcuts. If this talk about "limiting God" does not have limits, then God should not be limited to being the only God, or even limiting himself to being there, nor 'not there,' an obvious contradiction we cannot solve. On the other hand, scripture does not tell us there is no life anywhere else besides our little planet, and indeed tells us the opposite in regard to angelic beings for whom no creation account is given [why are they left out of the story of all God created?-- unless there is a scope to it all, beyond which the Word doesn't even deign to consdier?].

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If life is discovered in what way will that bother you? Will it shake your faith or enhance it?

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

We all know that God cares for all His creation, hence Jesus' dissertation on the sparrow. However, man is a unique creation in that God has formed him with His own hands and then breathed life into him. Of all that is created, man is the only creation that is made in God's own image.

I do not care one bit as to what might be found out there, God sent His only Son to die for me and my fellow man. Like king David, I too ask this question;

Psalm 8
    TO THE CHIEF MUSICIAN UPON GITTITH, A PSALM OF DAVID.
    1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
    2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
    3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
    4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
    5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
    6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
    7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
    8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
    9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

Just remember this, if life is discovered outside the boundaries of this world, the scientist of our day will attribute it to the work of evolution. Then Remember correctly that it was Moses who put into words the account of creation, long before Darwin could measure the beaks of finches. It is God and God alone who is responsible for any life that exists. Life, be it in the deepest ocean trenches or in the rings of Saturn, is a miracle no matter where it might be found and God has formed it with His very own Word.

#23 Palatka51, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really should not use such generalities as all scientists.

Just an aside, let's say that evolution is correct ... just for conversation sake and leading to my question ... would Moses have written a scientific account which would have been understood by no one for centuries or would he write an account that people could understand? Now please don't quote a bunch of scripture to prove whatever. I really would appreciate a rational answer to my question. Thanks in advance.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Did not generalize all scientists.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    So to have quoted scripture makes me irrational? [​IMG] You, sir, are very arrogant in your beliefs. So what do you stand on, scripture or men's observations? I will stand on scripture, thank you. If you want to continue this then take it to another thread. As for now this is the [​IMG]

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What good would that do. To cast doubts on the validity of God's Word? Why in the world would any Believer want to "say that evolution is correct." Why build a conversation on that?

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not arrogant at all. I just like to think over ideas and questions. I am not sure how quoting scripture can answer a question about whether Moses would have written a scientific paper or a description of that people of his day would understand.

If you can quote scripture answering the question, pleas do so. I simply wanted this thread to stay on the topic and not run down various rabbit paths.

Now, you made an assumption about what I believe ... and you know what they say about assumptions. Just read the question, don't read anything extra into it, and what is your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I simply can not assume evolution is correct. To do so on my part, I have assumed that God lied about how the universe was made and then put my trust in the observations of men. I do not assume the Word of God to be in error.

So now answer my question;

#28 Palatka51, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  9. donnA

donnA Active Member

You don't beleive scripture is rational/ Or prehaps you don't beleive the use of scripture is reational?
    Scripture in the life of the christian is always rational, and always needed. We make a mistake when we view the world without viewing it through scripture. but some would view scripture through the world instead, the result is always a faulty view of scripture.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally off subject. I was simply asking a hypothetical question and wanted a discussion. If you know scripture that answers my question give it to me. But, I'd like my question answered.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, so no answer. Was simply a hypothetical question.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When the Bible is just "a book of words" you may not always want an answer form it.

13. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course not....But they won't....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.