1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Identity of Babylon in Revelation Made Easy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Logos1, Apr 18, 2011.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi again Logos1, I would disagree that God would have to put Israel back under their old covenant to keep His covenant promises to them although they had their chance to enter those promises as demonstrated in the Book of Acts.

Acts 3
    12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
    13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
    14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
    15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
    17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
    18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
    19 Repent ye (men of Israel) therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
    20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
    21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Obviously they continued in their rebellion against Christ's apostles until:​

Acts 13
    46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.
    47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.
    48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.​

But that does not negate the scriptural fact of Romans 11

Romans 11
    24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
    25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
    26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
    27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
    28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
    29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.​

In the Matthew 24 passage the times of the Gentiles will endure until the those times are fulfilled. As previously stated Jerusalem is still "trodden down" by the Gentiles. The restoration of verses 26 and 27 is yet to be fulfilled.​

This restoration was also promised in the OT:​

Jeremiah 31
    31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
    32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.​

I take Jeremiah 31 as the future fulfilment of Romans 11:26-29 even though as a nation they are presently still in rebellion.​

That the entirety of the Abrahamic covenant be fulfilled.
    The promises of God are without repentance.​

Israel failed and has yet to repent but God can and will do His part in the keeping of the promises made to Old Covenant Israel without putting them back under the Old.​

So my answer would be that the Old Covenant promises to Israel will be fulfilled during the millennium (redeemed Israel, the "sealed" 144,000 of the Revelation), though the Old Covenant itself has been abrogated, God will keep His word to Abraham Isaac and Jacob (aka Israel).​

HankD​

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Just TOO much in Bible to support notion that God has either finished dealing with isreal, or that the Church is Isreal today! Bible clearly does NOT support either notion...

3. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Where in the bible would find any support for the notion that God would revert back to the Old Covenant or reseperate the Jews from the gentiles? What promises to Abraham have not already been fulfilled?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, God does as He pleases. He does not have to revert back to the Old Covenant to keep His promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
    The terms of which, the Law of Moses, was added to prove a point:

Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.​

God promised Abraham an earthly blessing as well as heavenly:

Matthew 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.​

Luke 22
    28 Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations.
    29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
    30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Worldwide peace (here are two among many):​

Isaiah 2
    2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
    3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
    4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.​

Zechariah 14
    6 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:
    7 But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
    8 And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
    9 And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.
    10 All the land shall be turned as a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem: and it shall be lifted up, and inhabited in her place, from Benjamin's gate unto the place of the first gate, unto the corner gate, and from the tower of Hananeel unto the king's winepresses.
    11 And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.

Redeemed Israel and the church of the Firstborn are distinct (not separate) even in the eternal state of the New Jerusalem:​

Revelation 21
    10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
    11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
    12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
    13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
    14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.​

HankD​

5. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

The New Covenant Fulfills everything promised to Israel

Hello Hank,

Sorry to be so long responding. Been busy.

I think these points are pretty straight forward to answer.

I take it we agree then that the Old Covenant is over with and God is not going to bring it back.

There are no promises left to fulfill to Israel or their forefathers

Joshua 21:43
    So the LORD gave to Israel all the land of which He had sworn to give to their fathers, and they took possession of it and dwelt in it.

I could site other verses but lets move on.

Judging the 12 tribes of Israel—easy one—when the Old covenant comes to its complete end in 70AD they are then judged at the time of the second coming.

God is Lord over all the earth now. Christ established his Kingdom, defeated the last enemy—spiritual death. Jesus told us he didn’t come to establish a physical kingdom

Now Zachariah I certainly understand confusion over it. There’s plenty tough material to grasp there. Took me a while. You did excellent to link Zachariah to Revelation. The New Jerusalem in Revelation is clearly the New Covenant and that helps to better understand Zachariah.

Living waters flow from Jerusalem—Christ called himself the living water. In the New Covenant you now drink from the living waters for eternal salvation.

King over all the earth—Christ’s New Covenant reign that has spread the Gospel. Paul tells us it was taken everywhere. You need to realize the World they spoke of was the area around the Mediterranean sea not the Americas.

As well in other places Paul tells Christians that the New Covenant is the fulfillment of promises to Israel for example in 2 cor 6:16 that Christians are the temple/sanctuary where God dwells and walks among men.

And, in Gal 3:7 that Christians are the true sons of Abraham.

Time and again all through the New Testament we see that the New Covenant is the fulfillment of everything promised to Israel. There is nothing waiting for fulfillment.

Have a good weekend.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Logos1, no problem with the delayed answer.

One last thing... Is your view Full Preterist or Partial?
    You may have already said what it is but I don't remember.

That is, do you look for a future Second Coming of Christ or do you see the AD70 sack of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Herodian Temple as its fulfilment?

Thanks again
    HankD

7. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Full Preterist

Full preterist. 70AD sack and destruction of Temple as final fulfilment of all things.

I was premil-dispy, amil, partial preterist, but only when I became full preterists did I feel I had closure on all aspects of bible prophecy and could see how it fit together.

Regards

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks.

HankD