1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Idiot thrown out of city meeting..

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by pinoybaptist, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly - but has this happened before?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you would have been wasting your breath.

There are some in this country that believe our flag stands for tyranny and oppression.

But they won't leave. Can't figure that one out.:BangHead:

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

There's some that would require people to stand for the pledge of allegiance and not respect a person's personal choice in the matter. Some people would call that tyranny and oppression.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would you call it?

5. matt wade

I'd call it an abuse of power in instances, like the OP, where the Mayor clearly stepped outside the law in having a person removed from the room.

For someone to simply believe that everyone should stand up, I'd call that their freedom to believe whatever they want.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed.

So what type of person would actually consider it tyranny and oppression? Who are the "some people" you were referring to? What are their core beliefs?

I suggest that, if anyone considers the mayor's action anything more than an abuse of power (a minor one at that), it is they that have the problem. They don't really have a clue what tyranny or oppression looks like. They're just speaking out in support of common every day discourteous and disrespectful slugs.

Fairly common in american society today.

#26 carpro, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There was a short period of time where I refused because I was so disheartened by the corruption and lack of leadership in our country. Someone here posted an article about what the pledge means and it changed my mind, because it made me think about the words. They are not words that pledge allegiance to the fleeting powers that be at any given time, but dedicated to the country herself and the idea that it needs to be under G-d.
    And I can stand for that and mean those words.
    However, I now possess the desire to trip people who say it and don't mean it. "Down with your lying self!" LOL I'm quite sure that would be wrong though. I'd just rather see one person recite it with conviction than a roomful say it without.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a BIG difference between speaking out in support of common every day discourteous and disrespectful [persons] and committing battery under color of authority, kidnapping under color of authority, and violating the open meeting law, under color of authority.

I think the guy should have stood up, but I will defend to my death his right to register his contempt for government by remaining seated.

But I also think the mayor needs to spend some time in his own jail, long enough to understand what freedom really is.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think the same thing should apply to a judge, when court is called to order?

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it appears you're splitting hairs while trying out for drama queen. We are in mostly in agreement. If the people of the city the mayor represents don't like what he does , they can elect someone else. No jail time is necessary.

The disrespectful slug should have stood. Common courtesy requires it.

The mayor should have ignored his disrespect.

11. matt wade

If the mayor broke the law (I'm not saying he did, because I'm not sure) then he should face charges.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting perspective!

Next mayors election will be Mar 2017

Do you think this will be an issue - if so, minor or major?

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    good question....how about some people answer, "we don't have to"....and the judge throws them out of the courtroom.....welcome to nazi germany?

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't know. I have no idea of the demographics of his city.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt that he did, but he may well have exceeded his authority. It's probably not a criminal offense. If it was, every politician in Washington DC would be in jail.

But the discourteous slug that was removed from the meeting may have a case for civil action against the mayor.

16. matt wade

A judge that would do that would be abusing his power, specifically abusing the use of "contempt of court".

The Declaration of Independence states "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal....". I have no need to stand up in respect of a judge. He and I are on equal footing.

With that said, if I ever find myself as either a plaintiff or defendant in a court case, I will certainly stand up. I also understand that angering the judge isn't prudent in such a situation. If I was simply an observer, I would (and have) remain seated.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many exceptions to the normal protocols when in court. Swearing on the bible, as an example. I'm sure there are acceptable procedures if you don't want to stand when a judge enters the court room. I don't believe it's law that you have to stand, more of a tradition. My understanding is that you are standing out of respect for the law, not the judge specifically. Much like when the president enters the room.

Not a lawyer, so I could be wrong.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The kowtowing to government authority is a holdover from the English Monarchy. There are no kings, viceroys, nobility, or crowners in this country. "All men are created equal."

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can always tell when you are losing an argument, and you know you are losing it. You resort to childish name calling. LOL!

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you presenting an argument? I hadn't noticed.