1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If a believer sins really badly.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by GordonSlocum, Feb 20, 2007.

?
  1. He loses salvation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It proves he was never saved. (A real Christian cannot sin really badly)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. He may be chastened in this life only.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. He may be chastened in this life and at the Judgment Seat of Christ

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

1) He loses salvation
    2) It proves he was never saved. (A real Christian cannot sin really badly)
    3) He may be chastened in this life only.
    4) He may be chastened in this life and at the Judgment Seat of Christ
    5) Other

See you thought I could not do it. :applause:

#1 GordonSlocum, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  2. benz

benz New Member

If a believer sins really badly I think God will be long suffering with him; giving him time to repent. If we continue sinning God in his mercy and love toward his children has to chastise the sinning child of God but they will never stop being his children or loose their salvation!
    :godisgood: Thank God for Jesus, otherwise NONE of us would make it to heaven...

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I did not like the word "may" in option four, but found no other option that is close to being "Biblical" but No. 4 or No. 5.

But as No. 5 did not specify anything, I would not vote there, either.

So I voted No. 4 with some reservation. [​IMG]

Ed

4. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I just put "may" in there because we have the opportunity to repent and also to store up mercy against that day by sowing mercy in this life.

lacy

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Maybe this is the result of too much schooling or reading too many scholars but I am going to start off by being picky. I get nervous when I hear someone say "if a christian sins really badly". The reason is that Scripture is perfectly clear that all sin is unrighteousness (1Jn 3:4) and there is a sense in which all sin is equally bad (Jms 2:10) since all sin leads to death (Rom 6:23, Jms 1:14-16, etc). From our perspective some sins are "worse" than others. However Scripture condemns homosexuality, fornication, gossiping, and murder in the same way (Rom 1:24-32, 1Cor 6:9-10, Gal 5:19-21, Rev 21:8, Prov 6:16-19). Different sins result in different judgments to be sure. However that does not mean that some sins are "small" and other sins are "big". All sin is unrighteousness and all sin is wrong.

With that out of the way. Allow me to briefly look at the choices you presented.

1) He loses salvation

==This one is a non-starter. I believe that Scripture is clear that believers have been elected for salvation from before the foundation of the earth (Eph 1:3-12), predestined to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ (Rom 8:29-30), given to Jesus by the Father (Jn 6:37), and will not be lost by Jesus (Jn 6:38-39, 10:27-30). At the moment of salvation the person is perfect forever (Heb 10:14). Their position before God is forever a done deal.

2) It proves he was never saved. (A real Christian cannot sin really badly)

==This idea is contradicted by several sad examples in Scripture (David, Solomon, etc). Certainly if a person is living in sin they are not saved (1Jn 3:9-10). However "one" act of sin, no matter what the sin, does not prove a person to be unsaved.

3) He may be chastened in this life only.
    4) He may be chastened in this life and at the Judgment Seat of Christ

==While there maybe things a believer does that God does chasten them for in this life, I think Scripture is clear that believers will face the judgment. At that judgment believers will recieve and lose rewards (1Cor 3:10-15, 2Cor 5:10, etc). So clearly a believer's life will be judged in time and in eternity.

6. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I couldn't agree more. It was actually a bit tongue in cheek. The scriptures say you are in serious danger when you sin willfully. The dichotomy of really bad and not-so-bad sin didn't come from me. I was just continuing a thought from another thread.

Lacy

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Jhn 19:11Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power [at all] against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

It seems your poll shows maybe punishment in this life but also in the Judgement. Looks like the vast majority don't believe its physical death or why the Judgement also.

#7 Brother Bob, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  8. GordonSlocum

GordonSlocum New Member

I see that number 4 and 5 are the two voted the most with 5 way out front.

The JSOC is not a Judgment of sin but a receiving of reward. The judgment is on the basis of receiving rewards not taking away or punishment.

I wonder if some of the votes for 5 in light of this would have been to number 4.

Your take

Gordon

9. trainbrainmommy

trainbrainmommy New Member

What does "really badly" mean? Sin is sin in God's eyes. There are not degrees of sin. Proverbs 6 mentions sins that are an abomination and the list includes sins that most people wouldn't consider "really bad".

Pro 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
    Pro 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
    Pro 6:19 A false witness [that] speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

By assigning degrees of "badness" to sin, we are not comprehending God's holiness - He cannot tolerate even the "smallest" sin. We also detract from the power of the blood of Christ - His blood has the power to cover any sin, no matter how heinous society might consider the sin.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Seems as if Jesus considered a difference in them according to this scripture.

Jhn 19:11Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power [at all] against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

I agree they all bring death if not repented of.

11. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

1Ti 5:24 -
    Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

All it shows is even you say there is a difference in sin or at least the punishment of sin. You say some sin is punished by physical death and some is punished by eternal death.

I am going to the gymn to workout, be back later. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: