1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If a Calvinist Preached on the Gospel from your Pulpit

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So true!
    Plus he went on to serve under Selina Hastings, foundress of The Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion:

Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean they were all "Calvinists." Though, not of the type railed against by so many. As for Whitfield and slavery, it would appear that part of his legacy has been whitewashed out of popular history.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe it lessens his labors for Christ, although it displays the mixture and error of a flawed humanity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be wrong, but I recall that Whitfield’s views of slavery were more that it was not anti- Scriptural. Yet, he did hold that inhumane treatment would bring God’s judgment. He campaigned for slavery (as an economic necessity) but also promoted humane treatment and established educational institutions that the life of the slave would be lifted above that estate.

Here is a short article about his own conflicted thinking: (Slaveholding Evangelist)

Slavery in Whitfield’s time was very different then that which turned very ugly with the invention of the Cotten gin. Just a few years prior, some southern state legislatures were considering some manner of ending it, but cotton became king and the demand for cheep labor was about to reap the judgment Whitfield predicted.

For those wanting more in-depth Cambridge University Press has this available:

George Whitefield on Slavery: Some New Evidence on JSTOR

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert Lewis Dabney has a similar reputation. Dabney was a 19th-century Presbyterian theologian that was the personal chaplain of Stonewall Jackson. While a distinguished theologian and author, Dabney was a proponent of antebellum slavery. Once again, his contribution to theology is not to be questioned, although his support for slavery is part of his reputation and cannot be divorced from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does it? Exactly how?

7. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you feel an obligation to mention the error of ALL theologians and figures in church history that you quote?

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't mention that John L. Dagg was a slavery apologist. Dagg was a Baptist theologian; he's a favorite of the Founders faction.

#128 Jerome, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Just those who fall into the vortex of my capricious nature. Any other questions?

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stonewall would gather as many children of slaves together as he could and hold Sunday school. He and Lee both were not in the war because of slavery, but because of the northern aggression. Typical of the Southerner, they put great authority into local and state rights and considered the congress of the US a hindrance.

But isn’t that what much of the problem is in this day?

Perhaps, Paul”s declaration, that believers are to support those who rule, show that same condition in his time, too.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. The war was not about slavery. The war was about economics and Federal control of economics. Slavery was simply one of the many pieces of that economic puzzle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it carried the image to the northern population of recovering what was righteousness and placing human aspects upon the issue rather than things.

We see that appeal regularly in the media and even in churches.

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if there are aspects of reformed thinking that are more highlighted in the South and others more in the north?

I would consider that cultural divides would also be shown in how one considers aspects of important theology.

14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am of the opinion that the Civil War was a judgment on this nation because of slavery, regardless of the reasons for the war. American slavery was man stealing. It is one of America's two great national sins. Any attempt to minimize or alter it's historical context is appalling. That said, as a nation we needs move past it while at the same time learn from the sins of the past. I write this as one who does not believe in reparations or tasking people of this generation to pay for the sins of the past. But I have also had conversations with people who have a problem with the Reformed faith because of advocacy of slavery before it was abolished. The best way to respond to it is head on, not to deflect it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pre-war slavery in some areas was brutal, however the north was actually just as much at fault for the treatment as the south.

Rather then establishing just laws based upon Scriptural treatment for all which would have certainly aided the Asians, the native Americans, the Irish, ... there was huge atrociousness done both pre and post war to folks that could have been resolved with righteous laws and no civil war.

The US has never recovered from the Civil War, and such is reflected in the typical unrest of the modern groupings.

Right laws could have brought balance and brought correct thinking, that wars never can produce.

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never the United States is/was a righteous nation. Any nation that murders 60,000,000 of it's unborn citizens cannot claim righteousness. I believe God judged our nation through the Civil War and is doing so today by giving us over to the evilness of our hearts. The only hope we have is Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. I am guilty of going far off my own OP. Course correction.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel is the message the Apostles carried.

I don't see that message being perverted in a Calvinistic presentation of the Scriptures, for such place all authority in the hands of God, and at the same time call for repentance and belief.

What I do see is the opposite most often propagated among the non-cal.

That in some manner it comes down to humans taking the action in which results are salvation.

Start with humans, ends with failure.

Start with God, ends in victory.

19. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In fairness, slavery in that time period was worldwide. Europe had freed most of its slaves, but they had only recently done it. Was slavery wrong? Sure it was wrong, but it was not unique to the USA.

20. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor may be a Calvinist, for all I know. He certainly does enjoy reading Spurgeon. But when we have time to sit down and converse, we seem to spend much more time discussing practical matters. Who needs assistance, or a visitation, how can we reach more people in our community...that sort of thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.