1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If a person is on an Island, and all they find is John 3:16, will believing that save them?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you do not have a biblical argument.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just refuse for God to have 100% of the glory for salvation, Silverhair. You just have to get man into it to some degree. You just demand to have a part in your salvation, Silverhair. Such an effort on your part, or anyone else's, is doomed to fail.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel 4:35 and all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9:14-24 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: and that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

5. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    called G2822
    - Original: κλητός
    - Transliteration: Kletos
    - Phonetic: klay-tos'
    - Definition:
    1. called, invited (to a banquet)
    a. invited (by God in the proclamation of the Gospel) to obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom through Christ
    b. called to (the discharge of) some office
    1. divinely selected and appointed

Thayer's Unabridged Greek - English Lexicon of the New Testament

Invited as in hear the gospel, believe the gospel chosen to be saved by God because you believed in the Son.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already responded to such in post #94 above.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does the chosing aka the election.
    Notice the parable, Matthew 22:2-13.

What was the requirement not meant?
    Compare Revelation 3:5.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the requirement in Matthew 7:21? In Matthew 7:22-23 it was not met.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 14:21-23 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

(emphasis mine)

10. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that God is sovereign. But verse still does not require that He picks out special ones to be saved and the rest condemned. That is just your Calvinist theology.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I am not a Calvinist. I am a sovereign grace Baptist.

2) Romans 8:28-30 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

If one is predestinated, then one is also called, then one is also justified, then one is also glorified. This is certain. It is not left up to chance.

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist

Silverhair said:
    So by that logic all those that do not have their heart opened by God really do have an excuse. They could not understand the gospel, and thus be saved, because He did not allow them to.

And since your version of God decrees all things even secondary causes, remember the movement of a molecule, you can't say their sin kept them out or their rejection of Christ did as all these things are determined by your version of God.

See what a mess you get into when you start to twist what the bible says.

Your misusing scripture does not support your case. Look at the text you quoted "What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:" Why would God be long suffering since He is the one that decreed that they would reject Him. Your deterministic theology is not logical in the least.
    Now if you say that man has a free will then I can see why God would be long suffering in dealing with man.

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You fail to understand it doesn't refute that word.

15. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I am quite aware that much of what passes for "Christianity" nowadays is a watered down version of Bible teaching, a repulsive brew that says that God is down on His hands and knees begging or inviting sinners to please, please let Him save them." Post # 94 KenH

I would call your answer really arrogant, but were not supposed to say things like the so I won't.
    What I will say is that just because you ignore the meaning of words does not change what they mean. If you really wanted to understand the bible then you would want to know the true meaning of the words in the text rather than what you want them to mean.

That seems to be your mode of operation, change the text so it suits your theology.

called G2822
    - Original: κλητός
    - Transliteration: Kletos
    - Phonetic: klay-tos'
    - Definition:
    1. called, invited (to a banquet)
    a. invited (by God in the proclamation of the Gospel) to obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom through Christ
    b. called to (the discharge of) some office
    1. divinely selected and appointed

Thayer's Unabridged Greek - English Lexicon of the New Testament

Invited, as in, hear the gospel, believe the gospel. Chosen to be saved by God because you believed in the Son.

16. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    A rose by any other name is still a rose, you can call yourself what you want but if you espouse the Calvinist theology what would you expect one to call your theology?

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 1:16, ". . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . ."

1 Corinthians 15:1-4, ". . . the gospel . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . "

1 John 5:1, ". . . Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . ."

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not say that man has a free will. In fact, man does not have a free will.

God is 100% sovereign.
    Man, God's creation, is 0% sovereign.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? - Romans 9:20a

Apparently, you really, really don't like that God is absolutely totally sovereign over you, Silverhair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.