1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If anyone care about facts.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by HeirofSalvation, Nov 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. After years of Arminianism and easy-believism, I finally realized that Calvinism is the only one that's consistent with the Gospel.

• Like Like x 3
  2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"Arminians" are rare creatures, also, irrelevant to this post.

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No response to the video I see.

4. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You weren't? It's not about me??? Confused

5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus either paid for the sins of all people, in which case all will be saved.

Or he paid for some of the sins of all people, making salvation depend on self-righteousness, only as long as they stop sinning.

Or Jesus paid for all the sins of some people thereby saving them through the New Birth. In which case they now hate sin, love God, and live a holy life according to their new nature.

This is not Calvin's position. But questions raised by Christ's teaching on limited atonement.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nature introduces Calvinism. Who here had anything to do with his first birth? (Mormons will say you did. They at least attempt to carry free will to its logical conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The video is 52 minutes long. I allow only a few minutes a day for posting. Sum up your argument in your words, instead of asking me to watch a video. I don't care if Augustine is alleged to have introduce Calvinism. I don't care who is alleged to have introduced any doctrine, unless the topic is the history of that doctrine, rather than the validity of that doctrine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what about the origins of the philosophy of Paul which is where the TULIP comes from? Or John? Or Christ?

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t follow Augustine, and I watched flower children ruin their and other lives in the Sixties. Neither offered much that I pay attention, too.

For the sake of full disclosure, some of us corresponded with Leighton Flowers when he regularly contributed to the board. He generally was respectful and I really did like displaying “sword” skills with Him. I even sent a couple pm to him requesting his dropping in from time to time.

I think (as he knows) that he has and continues to drift. But that is not up for BB discussion according to the moderators. I will respect their thinking and not present against him.

All that aside, the BB has a history.

It can easily be seen that, historically, when it comes to presenting Scriptures, Calvinistic posters are typically more prolific, and specific, presenting scriptures for each point made.

I have noticed that church websites, which present the confessional documents and “what we believe” statements of faith, Calvinistic churches typically cite numerous supporting Scriptures for every belief where those of non-cal persuasion rarely present any such document, much less Scripture support. More often the non-cal church may have statements concerning belief, but are devoid of citing Scripture and are written in a manner suggesting no disciplinary action is allowed in the assembly, but are driven by ecumenicalism.

It is also true that the non-cal are ever searching for emotional supportive presentations, be it claiming the origin is faulty (as the OP video), or the reliance on emotional condemnation, as supporting of the video posts demonstrate.

I discarded the extremely liberal side of casual easy believism as God brought me aware of taking the Scriptures as grammatically factual, as holding the highest veracity, and that it was audaciously obstinate sinfulness that prevented me from accepting what was written as written with purpose.

I am NOT a supporter of Calvin.

I am a supporter of the Scriptures.

If God said it, I believe it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A very solid, well thought out post.
    Anyone using the defective 101 podcast as a source betrays a severely damaged understanding of scripture.
    That podcast can be summed up in this way;
    The whole Church has had it wrong.
    Listen to me explain away every verse.
    I will at no time do any proper exegeting of any text.
    Instead I will just deny every verse flat out, but inserting carnal philosophical musings to attract the attention naive devotees who would like to give the illusion of a" redefined traditionalism".

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! ...And just like THAT the TULIP popped into your head!! Amazing!! [​IMG]

Nah, man, if Calvinism were transparent about "their doctrines" of Grace being not being an inclusive good news genuine offering of light to all rather than bad news of darkness for most and were "aptly titled" it would be much more appropriately called THE "Doctrines of Pre-Deterministic Grace". ;)

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for posting this I enjoyed watching it. It's also interesting to see what others have to say about it.
    MB

13. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The good news is genuinely shared and offered to all. Calvinists do this and are on the forefront in evangelizing the world.
    Only God's sheep will respond to his voice, however.

John 10:14-17,24-29
    I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.

So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a medic for years, so I tend to use the analogy of a dead man dialing 911.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you listen to the op's video you would know the true answer. Determinism came from the Manichean's and Stoic's not from the Bible.
    MB

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Predetermination doesn't come from God, even though God tells us he predetermined? Well...you better go straighten God out, MB.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said anything about TULIP? But I do want to praise you for being good enough to make the right choice when it came to choosing Christ. I will say you are a better man than I am. It's a good thing there are people like you with that inherent quality that without which would have made the Cross ineffective.

Pray for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you ever have any meaningful replies? You're just talking through your hat as usual.
    MB

19. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well at least my talk comes from above the belt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you take your meds this morning?

MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.