1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If Calvinism is true, then Christ died for God's sins

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Guido, Mar 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know that according to Calvinism, God predestinated some to be saved and some to be lost, God passing over the lost because no one seeks after him. If no one seeks after him, why? because they have no free will. If they have free will, why can't they seek after him? If there free will is in bondage, who put them in that bondage? Did God alter their free will so that they would only sin? Then God is directly responsible for their sin; because he bound their free will, forcing them to do nothing but sin. Therefore, when Christ died on the cross, according to Calvinism, he died for the sins not only of man, but of God.

#1 Guido, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  2. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A different way of saying it but that is what I have been saying for a long time on here. Calvinists do not want to look at the logical outcome of their theology. They would rather just say we do not understand calvinism and in one way they are right. I really do not understand how anyone could think calvinism is biblical.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is blasphemy.
    What a profane statement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the blasphemy of Calvinism..

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You blame God for mans sin.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that's the blasphemy that you conclude simply because you are ignorant regarding God's word.
    You won't find one reformed Christian who holds what you proclaim.

Good luck convincing even honest Arminians that your assertion is true.

I am impressed however with the mental gymnastics you went through only to fall on your face. Is Silverhair giving you lessons or are you related. What you wrote has the telltale earmarks of an S1 Twister (Silverhair twister)

I have one suggestion for you. Stop talking and go find a quite place where you can spend the next 15 years reading your Bible. Do what Paul did after Damascus and go isolate yourself to just read the Bible. You are not ready for a theological conversation and there is too much tornado in you to be worth talking to.

This will be my only comment on this thread.

• Winner Winner x 5
  7. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read your WCF/LBCF or your DoG. What do you find there?

8. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not ignorant of Gods' word just not willing to fall into line with the calvinist way of thinking.

Read his post, try to be honest with yourself. It is the writings that you hold to that put God in that position. You can not say God decrees all things and then not expect people that read those words with an open mind to come to the conclusion that you are saying that God determines all sin. That you would hold to and defend writings that would lead anyone to that conclusion I find quite disheartening.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Biblical truth

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes the bible is biblical the WCF/LBCF & DoG have some biblical parts but they also have no-biblical parts. If you overlook the error what does that say about you.

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Respectfully, I know that according to the Bible, God chose believers ( Christ's sheep ) in Christ before the foundation of the world ( Ephesians 1:4-5 ).

Also according to the Scriptures, God not only passes over the lost, He does not do so because none seek Him...
    For that is mankind's current spiritual state, hearts hardened and minds willfully darkened due to sin and a love for it ( Romans 1:18-32, Romans 3:10-18, John 3:19-20, Ephesians 4:17-19 ).

He does so because it's His choice to have mercy on some and not others ( See Romans 9:14-24 ).
    I agree.

According to what God says in many places ( Jeremiah 13:23, Psalms 10, Psalms 14, Psalms 53, Romans 1, Romans 2, Romans 3 ),
    mankind as a race will not come to God ( John 5:40 among others ).

So, it's not an issue of God not being fair and creating us with a free and unbiased will...
    it's an issue of Him creating men and allowing us to go on in our current state of not wanting to come to Him in repentance, which is a direct result of our love of sin and hatred of God.

In other words, our will as unregenerate individuals and as a group, is biased against God and His ways,
    it is not free in the sense of "neutral".
    We start out from our mothers' wombs as destitute sinners who are slaves to our disobedience ( Psalms 58:3 ).

If you wish to blame the Lord for creating individuals and allowing them to go on in their natural state, then I cannot stop you from thinking ill of Him.
    However, Romans 9:6-24 addresses this in detail.

#11 Dave G, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    See above.
    Because our will is in bondage to sin.
    We did, and the Lord gave us over to that which we love:
    Romans 1:18-32.

I'll use the analogy of clay and a potter...
    God creates vessels of mercy and vessels of wrath from the same tainted clay, a clay that we tainted.
    No.
    It is a natural consequence of sin...

It blinds us to God's ways and acts as a spiral "toilet"...
    The more we sin, the more we love it and the more we disregard God and His commands.

It functions like an addiction because to us, it's pleasurable and reflects our deep-seated desire to go our own way and not God's way.

#12 Dave G, Apr 3, 2022
  13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, it seems that you don't understand man's condition as outlined by the Lord in His word...
    Which bears witness to our deplorable and self-serving condition outside of the miracle of the new birth.
    I think you're forgetting that according to His word, God cannot sin, neither does He encourage it ( James 1:13 ).
    Where you come to this conclusion I do not know, my friend.

I encourage you to dig deeper into it for the answers to your questions.

May He bless you richly in your studies.

#13 Dave G, Apr 3, 2022
  14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Romans 3:11, ". . . There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. . . ."

2) 1 Peter 1:2, ". . . Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience . . . ."

3) Matthew 22:14, ". . . For many are called, but few are chosen. . . .". Matthew 20:28, ". . . Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. . . .

4) Luke 8:13, ". . . they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. . . ."

5) John 10:27-28, ". . . My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. . . ."

6) Ephesians 2:8, ". . . For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God . . . ."

15. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Filtered through calvinist truth. In other words not whole truth.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The biblical truth=Calvinism.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why do so many calvinists deny the text of the bible? Why do so many calvinists still say faith is a work?

18. timdabap

timdabap Member

Faith:
    Baptist

19. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Iconoclast, do you deny any specific text in the Bible? Do you redact verses so they don't exist? No? I didn't think so.

Does faith do good works? Did Jesus author faith? Does Jesus finish faith?

Does God first save, then second, justify by faith?

Or, do dead in sins people, generate their own faith to believe, which causes Go to save them?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Why do you always deny scripture. You want people saved before they even believe which is not biblical or are you going to tell me that is not what the text says?

Austin you can argue with the bible all you want,but when your wrong you should just admit that you were wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.