1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If God doesn't have a future for the Jews...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jope, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Abrahamic Covenant was instututed by God as the means by which he would bring the blessing of salvation unto all who would qualify as Abraham did, by receiving the promised Messiah yeshua, so that all who place faith in Him will be saved!

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If not Gentiles, who is grafted into Israel?

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you calling the church then spiritual israel?

4. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what I said:
    I said it doesn't matter to this thread! And it really doesn't.

And look! I said that I believe, with the church fathers, that the ekklesia exists on earth during the tribulation! You claimed that I did not believe this, quoting their beliefs of the church on earth during the tribulation. I specifically stated that I believe this with them. What was that about misrepresenting beliefs?

#64 Jope, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice straw man. Where did I ever claim that?

6. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Israel's future isn't dependent on the Abrahamic covenant, what is it dependent on? I'm not claiming that we ought to restrict the covenant to the Jews. The covenant doesn't even claim that. I'm asking about the wall of separation that Paul talks about.

#66 Jope, Mar 22, 2017
  7. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (2) It is true that, in the express terms of the covenant with Abraham, obedience is not stated as a condition. But that obedience was presupposed is clearly indicated by two facts. The one is that obedience is the precondition of blessing under all circumstances...The second fact is that in the case of Abraham the duty of obedience is particularly stressed. In Gen. xviii. 17f it is plainly stated that, through His choice of Abraham, God proposed to bring into being, by pious nurture, a righteous seed which would 'keep the way of the Lord,' in order that as a result and reward of such obedience 'the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.' (p. 33).

"But if the Abrahamic covenant was unconditional why is Esau excluded from the blessings of the covenant?" (p. 35).​

Allis is implying that the Abrahamic covenant is conditional.

(1) As to the seed, it is to be observed that the very words which appear in the covenant...are used of the nation of Israel in the time of Solomon...This would indicate that the promise was regarded as fulfilled in this respect in the golden age of the Monarchy...
    (2) As to the land, the dominion of David and of Solomon extended from the Euphrates to the River of Egypt...Israel did come into possession of the land promised to the patriarchs. She possessed it, but not 'fore ever.' Her possession of the land was forfeited by disobedience...it can be regarded as having been fulfilled centuries before the first advent... (pp. 57-8).
    Allis says that the Jews lost the land because of disobedience because the Abrahamic covenant is conditional. The covenant won't have a fulfillment in the future: it was fulfilled historically.

#67 Jope, Mar 22, 2017
  8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the Sinaitic Covenant that was conditional, not the Abrahamic. But I have said several times that the Abrahamic Covenant is fulfilled in Christ.
    Thanks for giving me those pages from Alliss. :) I will reply in more depth later on, but may I ask, have you read my post #39? I may enable you to see where I'm coming from even if you disagree with me (which you will! :Cool ).

9. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took a gander through post 39 Martin. I disagree here, but I mostly agree with everything else. Since the seed of Abraham is Christ and we are in Christ, we are under the Abrahamic covenant in this sense. It seems that you also believe this, so it's probably just poor wording on your part.

#69 Jope, Mar 22, 2017
  10. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His earthly Geneology could be preserved through Shem. What difference does it make, if covenant theology is correct, if Christ is born into a Jewish nation? We read that God is making us into a nation (1 Pet 2:9), with the wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles being disregarded.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice straw-man argument ;) My comment was that I believe God has a purpose for Israel as a nation, but that does not necessitate restricting the covenant to Israel (as a nation).

There was a separation insofar as God chose to deliver salvation through Israel. By necessity, when you choose one thing it is separated from the others. This is inherent in the choosing. But insofar as the Abrahamic covenant is concerned, the blessing (salvation) is not to the Jews but to the world:

Genesis 12:1-3 Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go forth from your country, And from your relatives And from your father's house, To the land which I will show you; And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

This is not a Covenant separating the Jews and Gentiles. As God builds a nation through which the Messiah will come, sure there is a separation. But it is not the point of the Abrahamic Covenant to separate Jews and Gentiles. It is to make a people as a special possession of God through redemption. It looks to the Seed, in whom the promise is fulfilled. Not Israel as a nation, but Israel as the "true Israel" in whom Gentiles will be grafted. The covenant does not separate, but includes.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I misunderstood. I do see where you say the church exists on earth during the tribulation (I think everyone believes that there will be Christians on earth during the tribulation - those who don't worship the anti-Christ). But pre-tribulation is the belief that the church will be "caught up" to heaven before ("pre") the tribulation (those on earth during the tribulation are those who are saved during the tribulation) - which is not what the early church believed. So you see my confusion here.

The above statement is false. Perhaps you typed pretribulational when you meant premillennial. If so, then yes. That was the belief of the early church.

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Abraham was called by a holy God to holiness (Genesis 17:1), but he was not called because of his holiness (Joshua 24:2-3) and I see nowhere where obedience is made a condition of the covenant. God called him and persevered with his various failings as He does with you and me, so no, the Abrahamic covenant was not conditional. It is a promise of the Christ who died for sinners.
    Because of the sovereign will of God. 'Jacob I have loved and Esau I have hated.' There were ever so many reasons why God might have hated Esau; the wonder is that He should have loved Jacob......or me.
    If you look again at my post #39, you will see that there are two seeds of Abraham. To the physical seed came the promise of the land, and that promise came fully to pass in the time of Solomon. But that is not the covenant, for the true covenantal promises to Abraham had nothing to do with a piece of real estate in the Levant (Genesis 14:19; John 8:56; Romans 4:13; Hebrews 11:9-10, 16). Abraham's children of promise (Galatians 3:7; 4:28), who have the faith of Abraham, inherit something a whole lot better (Galatians 3:14). That inheritance will never be lost (1 Peter 1:3-5).

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose this depends on what you mean by 'under.' I don't believe that anyone is 'under' the Abrahamic covenant, as Israel was under the Sinaitic covenant, with blessings dependent upon works. Christians are 'the seed of Abraham and heirs according to the promise' (Galatians 3:29) through our union with Christ. The New Covenant in Christ's blood is the fulfilment of the covenants of promise, which includes the Abrahamic.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what your thing is with Shem. God didn't make a covenant with Shem; He made one with Abraham for His own high and holy purposes. This is the way God decided to do things and I don't see how it helps to ask why He didn't do it another way. There was nothing special about Abraham (Joshua 24:2-3) and nothing special about Israel (Deuteronomy 7:7-8), but God chose them to be the vehicle through which His plans for the whole world would come to pass (Genesis 12:3; Galatians 3:28-29).

17. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...I could give you the quotes again. But judging by my last post of the same quotes, you are probably just going to overlook them again. And I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about the Abrahamic covenant separating Jews from Gentiles. I don't believe that the Abrahamic covenant restricts salvation to the Jews, so that only Jews can get saved: I do, however, believe that the Abrahamic covenant exalts the Jews above the Gentiles (and, not to get carried away into another discussion, I also lean towards the belief that in the new heaven and new earth, this distinction will be removed--Mt 5:17-18).

Have a good one JonC :)

18. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where we disagree. I don't believe God cancelled His land promises with the Jews (Rom. 11:28-29). God promised to Abraham that his seed (Christ) would be like the stars in heaven AND like the dust on earth.

Gen. 15:5 KJV
    And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.

Gen. 13:16 KJV
    And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.​

Colossians 1:16 says that there are thrones created for Christ in heaven and on earth. See also Ephesians 1:10. Paul teaches that Christians (of this dispensation) have no lasting inheritance here on earth (Philipp. 3:20; Eph. 2:6-7; Gal. 4:26; etc.). Jesus says that the Jews inherit earth (Mt 5:5; Rom. 15:8; Gen. 12:7--to thy seed, Christ, I will give this land; etc.).

#78 Jope, Mar 22, 2017
  19. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there was no point in the perpetual Jewish land promises of the abrahamic covenant, as covenant theology teaches, why did God bother making this covenant? It only makes Him look like a lying fool who makes covenants on the whim without being able to fulfill them.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree partly. I am still not clear about the pre-trib part (were you seriously contending the quotes you provided...in the entire context where they believe the tribulation was in process as they wrote...shows them to be pre-trib???).

You have a good day as well. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.