1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If God Never decreed/ordained the Fall...

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Agent47, Jan 25, 2017.

?
  1. Most certainly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It is impossible to know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. He never ordained the Fall in the first place.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

@StefanM,
    What's so difficult in conceding that foreknowledge (possessing knowledge) of future events simply means knowing what will be, and from this it does not necessarily follow it has to be?

What's the basis for the logical leap from 'it will be' to 'it has to be'?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are welcome.

I believe that the events of the WTC were known by God as something that would occur in Creation, and God still created man. Not only that, I believe that Jesus, through Whom all things were made, knew of the Cross before Creation itself. And I believe God knew He would willingly send His Son as a propitiation for man's sin before Adam was even in the Garden.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the knowledge would exist in God's mind.

If God's knowledge is infallible and complete, it is impossible for any such knowledge to be false. Because the knowledge can't be false, there is no other possibility than for the foreseen events to occur.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is not the biblical usage of Foreknowledge.
    God has foreknowledge of the elect as fallen sinners who He fully conforms to the Son at glorification......the events of Providence flow from the decree

5. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They were predetermined?

6. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would not wish to debate the 'biblical usage of foreknowledge' on this thread so I won't ask for evidence of your assertion

7. Agent47

Agent47 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is tautology or circular reasoning.

Let's explore fatalism a bit. Whatever will happen will happen. In fact it must happen...can't possibly be otherwise.

Without any relation to foreknowledge, one can still arrive at 'what will be has to be'

Possession of perfect future knowledge does not add to or deduct the certainty of the future. So it does not follow that because God knows perfectly the future,not only must the future roll out as he knows it, he determines the future with decrees to realize what He knows

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Permissive will as I understand it is God allowing men to sin. This idea does not account for the Law. Since the Laws were given for man to live by. The Law is God's will and it isn't permissive. The Law is God's restriction on sin. It means He does not allow sin. Sin does not agree with God's will. How men can see this as permissive doesn't make sense to me. It places the blame for sin on God.
    Satan fell to the earth bringing sin in to the world by Satans will

God made man a free agent so that He could Love God willingly and Love his fellow man willingly

God does not allow man to come to Him He invites them to come because they want to.
    Of course not. But the Jews did not Kill our Lord He laid down His life by His own will. The Jews sinned because of false accusations, lustful desire for Christ ti die, and willing stupidity.

I cannot show you this because it does not exist. I do not believe man is completely controlled by God except in a limited way. Man is a free agent to choose which path to follow.
    God's will, will be done. However what specifically do you believe is God's will. Do you believe as the Calvinist do in that every act done by man is preordained by God?. Or do you believe man is a free agent able to choose his own path?
    If man is unable to choose his own path then men are not responsible for His sin. Men do not sin because they were appointed to.
    MB

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As what would occur in Creation, yes. They were known by God to be events that would occur even before Creation.

In other words, God knew that these events would be a part of the world he was creating and God still created that world. This could have been prevented if God decided not to create man (or to create man without a will of his own....But that wouldn't be "man").

I see two logical conclusion. Either God knows all things and all things are predetermined to exist in Creation (God's knowledge is not deficient), or God does not know all things but reacts to events as they occur (Open Theism).

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    romans8:29 is clear.
    There is no debate as the cross is at the center of all revelation and the redemptive work of God, perfectly accomplished.
    There is no speculation to be had here. there is only what is....and we are all moving toward the decreed eternal state.....as lost in Adam going into second death, or alive in Christ going to glorification...
    No second chance,no do over, no philosophical loopholes.....just God as all in all.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no loner free ill to sinnrs though, as now restricted by the boundaries oftheir sn natures, s cannot freely do all things!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so? God created Adam morally perfect, and gae him real free will as act of love?

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some here seem to be aiming towards Open Theisitic viewpoint! AmdermissiveWill is God allowing for indirect agents tomae choices/deciions for His purpose, such in death of Christ, but he still remains in comtrol!

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could not disagree more. If the freedom to choose which path to follow is gone. Then why were we asked to choose who to follow?. The gods of the Amorites or the God of creation.

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Freedom to choose is in scripture even though you do not wish to agree.
    MB

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold to single Predestination, just towards theelect, NOT double Predestinations towards the Lost!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sin nature dos not allow for full freedom anymore!

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We'll just have to disagree on the circular reasoning. I think the problem is inherent in the idea of exhaustive, infallible foreknowledge, so some seemingly circular logic is unavoidable.

But even if you ground the idea of knowing the future in decrees, it's still going to create the same problem. If a certain future is decreed and will certainly occur, then all other possible futures are excluded.

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Distinction without a difference.

If you have two kids drowning in a pool, and you have everything you need to save both of them but choose to only save one, there's no difference in saying you didn't actively choose to save the other or in saying you actively chose to leave him there. The effect is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He gave him a serpent that would tempt him and a tree that would tempt him, and he supposedly did so with perfect foreknowledge of what the outcome would be. That's a set up.

20. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your verse, at the end of Joshua, is in relation to the Mosaic covenant, not in relation to redemption.

Joshua 24:19,20
    Then Joshua warned the people, "You are not able to serve the LORD, for he is a holy and jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins. If you abandon the LORD and serve other gods, he will turn against you and destroy you, even though he has been so good to you."

Joshua's call for choice has nothing to do with God's grace in redemption. It is foolish for you to invoke Joshua 24:15 as a free will verse because it is not even referencing salvation. Context is everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.